The Incident at Columbia University and The Minutemen

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Justin24

Rock n' Roll Doggie ALL ACCESS
http://ctvnewsonline.com/

Anonymous said...
Since when is shouting down a speaker and rushing the stage an expression of "free speech?"

9:24 PM, October 09, 2006

Anonymous said...
Act like adults. The minutemen serve to discourage illegal immigration. As the child of a legal Mexican immigrant, I see nothing racist about that stance. The irony of crying fascist chants as the Chicano Caucus forcefully censors the minutemens' speech was astonishing. That there may have not been any cognitive dissonance in the minds of the protestors suggests they may lack the intellectual credentials to be at Columbia in the first place. Rational debate involves the careful consideration of all aspects of an issue. I hope the Chicano Caucus will reevaluate its position to foster much needed intellectual diversity at Columbia.

9:40 PM, October 09, 2006

Anonymous said...
I hope this guy doesn't believe a word he is saying, because it definitley does not seem logical. By "drowning out" racist remarks in a non-public forum, you necessarilly suppress their right to freely speak--specifically since the event was organized with the presenter in mind.

I haven't been able to discover for sure, but it seems to me that Columbia did not have any speakers with dissenting views. Regardless of the administration's possible neglect to fairly represent an issue, these students seem to have acted in a manner resembling China's Cultural Revolution; violent censorship is but one small step away from oppression.

I nearly commented and then I thought, what's the point.

The protests may have been intolerant but you're kidding yourself if you think the Minutemen are teddy-bears. A part of me wants to get the hell out on a flying space pod. Or just be glad I'm living in another country.

But does it still warrant violent action? I think not.

When I have more time, I'll come back with some facts about the incident.

BTW, this should be merged with the other thread.

I did not see the MinuteMen throw any punches and the African American member of the Minute Men said racials slurs were being yelled at him. So if the Minute Men is a racist organization then why allow members of all colors, religious back round, sexual backround in, when all there doing is trying to protect the country they love.

Kieran McConville said:
I nearly commented and then I thought, what's the point.

The protests may have been intolerant but you're kidding yourself if you think the Minutemen are teddy-bears. A part of me wants to get the hell out on a flying space pod. Or just be glad I'm living in another country.

exactly my feelings so I'll just stay out of this one

Did any of you watch all the videos or just a few seconds and then make a judgement??

Do you honestly think All Minute Men are Racist or that it's a Racist organization, or are you going with the crowd. Why should they be called racist when there doing the job the government should have done.
If a person breaks into someones house and the burglar is met with a gun to his face is that racist?? no because they are protecting there home. The reason some Minute Men Carry guns is to protect them selves from the Cartels or the small minority of hardened criminals who enter our country illegally.

If I did support the efforts of the minute men to curve illegal immigration whether it's the northern border or Florida, Our ports in CA or in the East Coast. Does that make me Racist?

I find it funny how they say the Minute men has ties to a neo-nazi group, which I need to see more proof on while the groups there in such as Answer and not in our name are supported by communist organizations.

I watched a few clips of two female protestors who were there and participated who said they gave a 45 minute speech............ Um they were not done and you were being disrepectful by yelling out loud not letting the person speak!!! But if it came to them They Demand attention.

I don't buy that the minute men are racist, it's just another cause to stop them from doing what congress and the presidents should have done in the first place after the first Amnesty given by Ronald Reagan.

Were loved because of open borders but hated and called racist when we want to close it down and have a better system allow people in. Tell that to other countries especially Europe.

BonoVoxSupastar said:

Did you? What did you see?

I watched the Videos. In the first video they had interviewed some protestors one was like look they cut my face. I didn't see any cut, they punched us etc... I did not see anything. I saw the security come on stage, the main speak turned and was trying to speak to a protester who was yelling in his face. And Supposedly the African American Minute Man (yes not all are Anglo-Saxon) was have racial slurs being yelled at in his face.

Oh and please watch the one titled Protester speaks out.

Arrogant prick.

Justin24 said:
Do you honestly think All Minute Men are Racist

I think the group as a whole is misguided and it is made up of several racists.

Justin24 said:

Why should they be called racist when there doing the job the government should have done.

The government stops illegal immigration by law, not by gun toting civilians.

Justin24 said:

If a person breaks into someones house and the burglar is met with a gun to his face is that racist?? no because they are protecting there home. The reason some Minute Men Carry guns is to protect them selves from the Cartels or the small minority of hardened criminals who enter our country illegally.

Does this honestly justify anything in your mind? It doesn't me. If they shoot someone crossing the border they are nothing but murderers.

Justin24 said:

If I did support the efforts of the minute men to curve illegal immigration whether it's the northern border or Florida, Our ports in CA or in the East Coast. Does that make me Racist?

I don't know your true intentions. You have said some very questionable things about immigrants and Mexican residents, and have been called out by many different posters. I think you honestly think it's a noble idea, I find it very misguided.

Have there been any incidents where they used there weapons??

The government is not doing a very good job, I thought that was top priority after 9/11??

To answer you first one on top, do you think all groups have people like that??

Yes I have said many things ( especially about Mexicans) I am sorry for that, but they are the majority with Chinese coming in second. This needs to stop and we need to come up with a better solution for everyone.

Justin24 said:
I find it funny how they say the Minute men has ties to a neo-nazi group, which I need to see more proof on while the groups there in such as Answer and not in our name are supported by communist organizations.

I find your communist ties pretty funny as well. You've tried that before with another organization and you were shown time and time again you were wrong.

I have seen that there are some members of the minutemen that may have been members of neo-nazi organizations, but I'm not convinced yet of the evidence. The hard part is that most neo-nazi organizations don't exactly post their membership rosters, nor do all admit they nazi organizations. I'm still looking for more information.
Justin24 said:

I watched a few clips of two female protestors who were there and participated who said they gave a 45 minute speech............ Um they were not done and you were being disrepectful by yelling out loud not letting the person speak!!! But if it came to them They Demand attention.
Well free speech goes both ways. I don't necesarrily agree with how this was executed, the silent unfurling of the banner was enough. It's hard to tell exactly when and how the pushing and shoving started. The video isn't exactly professional, the one minuteman in the white shirt and baseball cap was caught red handed though.

Justin24 said:

I watched the Videos. In the first video they had interviewed some protestors one was like look they cut my face. I didn't see any cut, they punched us etc... I did not see anything. I saw the security come on stage, the main speak turned and was trying to speak to a protester who was yelling in his face. And Supposedly the African American Minute Man (yes not all are Anglo-Saxon) was have racial slurs being yelled at in his face.

Yeah I watched them all, right now everything is he said, she said, except for what's caught on tape.

Including the African American Minuteman.

Justin24 said:
Have there been any incidents where they used there weapons??

There are investigations, part of the reason the speaker of the MinuteMan stormed off.

Justin24 said:

To answer you first one on top, do you think all groups have people like that??

Not all groups are keeping Mexicans out with guns...

Justin24 said:

Yes I have said many things ( especially about Mexicans) I am sorry for that, but they are the majority with Chinese coming in second. This needs to stop and we need to come up with a better solution for everyone.

Why does it need to stop? You mean you are opposed to Mexicans becoming a majority, even if they are legal?

Show me some statistics...

Justin24 said:
Do you honestly think All Minute Men are Racist or that it's a Racist organization, or are you going with the crowd. Why should they be called racist when there doing the job the government should have done.

so now you are comparing illegal immigrants to burglars? this is one of the many reasons why I'm really don't want to discuss this particular issue with you

there's a lot of racism within the minutemen I'm sure there's a lot of people in that organization who simply want to "protect" their border but there's a lot of racists in there

I am not opposed to mexicans becoming the Majority, I just want it done in a legal manner. You dont make any sense first you say that yes it is a crime for someone to cross the border illegally because it's the law and then you say you dont mind them becoming the majority even if they entered illegally???

Statistics on what??/

It;s a fucking example, what would you rather have me compare. apples and oranges??? Do you believe there is also racism with in leftist groups such as Answer or not in our name???

Ok let's say The Chinese were arriving in Mexico illegally because there might be better opportunites. Business men find out hey they will work for cheap so they continue to hire more and more Chinese and wages go down medical costs rise what do you say to that, and dont forget special language class rooms too.

Would you create a version of the minute men in your country to stop the inflow of illegal chinese immigrants??

Mofo said:
well next time make a valid comparison, you are comparing them to criminals

But our law of the land makes it a crime to cross the border illegally even from Canada so are they criminals if they break that law?

Justin24 said:
I am not opposed to mexicans becoming the Majority, I just want it done in a legal manner. You dont make any sense first you say that yes it is a crime for someone to cross the border illegally because it's the law and then you say you dont mind them becoming the majority even if they entered illegally???

Statistics on what??/

What are you talking about? Yes, of course it is technically against the law, so is speeding. I never disputed that.

When did I ever say I don't mind them becoming a majority? I've never once even approached that issue.

Statistics on the race populations, what else? You made the claim, now back it up.

There are videos out there of corrupt mexican army units who cross our borders to help get drug runners through and dont tell me there have never been shots fired from your side at the minute men.

Mofo. Listen I like you. Your a Brother I just want our laws to be respected as you would want yours. I know your government as our is doing a really shitty job. Both our governments need to come up with a solution to fix this.

Back
Top Bottom