The Importance of Honesty

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

melon

ONE love, blood, life
Is honesty always the best policy, or are some things best left unsaid?

Melon

------------------
"He had lived through an age when men and women with energy and ruthlessness but without much ability or persistence excelled. And even though most of them had gone under, their ignorance had confused Roy, making him wonder whether the things he had striven to learn, and thought of as 'culture,' were irrelevant. Everything was supposed to be the same: commercials, Beethoven's late quartets, pop records, shopfronts, Freud, multi-coloured hair. Greatness, comparison, value, depth: gone, gone, gone. Anything could give some pleasure; he saw that. But not everything provided the sustenance of a deeper understanding." - Hanif Kureishi, Love in a Blue Time

They don't call it "brutally honest" for nothing. When telling the truth does more harm than good, I think it's better to keep quiet. You don't necessarily have to lie.

Example: You've been cheating on your partner. A) You're a useless bastard. B) If you own up to it, you're probably just doing it so that you may feel better about yourself, but in reality you're just hurting the one you're supposed to love. It's better to keep quiet and either never do it again or get out of the relationship.

I agree with you Mystery Girl!

But tact helps.., if you are eloquent enough..and if people still get offended--tough shit for them! grow up, and take it as a mature adult!

------------------
"What fish don't know"--Marshall McLuhan

http://www.envy.nu/u2webring/u2.htm

http://pussygalore.blogspot.com

i like being brutally honest
biggrin.gif

Sometimes you don?t wanna hurt someone you love. It ain?t easy...
frown.gif

------------------
beLIEve

My ideal definition of honesty is try not to suppress your thoughts and feelings. I really enjoy it when I suprise myself and say excacly what I feel, no matter the concequences. If you think about it, it's one of the few freedoms we have as individuals.

But you also have to respect the others' beliefs, opinions ect. So it's difficult to keep a balance, especially in our competitive society.

To be honest, I think we are honest only when we're drunk.
biggrin.gif

------------------

Got to walk out of here, I can't take anymore
Gonna stand on that bridge, keep my eyes down below
Whatever may come and whatever may go
that river's flowing

"Don't Give Up", Peter Gabriel

Originally posted by Sledgehammer:
To be honest, I think we are honest only when we're drunk.
biggrin.gif

Uh oh! In that case, I've never been honest in my entire life!

Klodomir,
I actually have to disagree. If you have cheated on someone, its absolute must that you tell the person you cheated on. It is selfish move to protect yourself not to tell. You hurt the other person more if you don't tell them, because that person continue's to think that your an honest person that loves and respects them, when in fact that could not be further from the truth. The person cheated on does not have this critical info about the other person and is not free to really decide if they should try to find someone else that will love and respect them. They continue you to believe that the cheater loves and respects them.
So again, if you care about the other person, honesty is always the best policy!

Back
Top Bottom