The FYM Challenge

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

pax

ONE love, blood, life
As a moderator, I read FYM pretty often (maybe even more than I'd like), and I'm noticing that as of late, almost every new topic has to do with George W. Bush and/or Iraq. Now, this is a damn important issue, as I'm sure you all know. But, to paraphrase a favorite poster of mine: "Every time someone posts a new topic about Iraq, an FYM moderator gets a migraine. Please, think of the Poptarts." ;)

So, I am issuing to all of you The FYM Challenge. The rules are simple. To post in THIS thread, your post must:

--be informative in nature
--be polite and non-random (yes, this means you, deathy)
--NOT deal with Iraq or George W. Bush
--preferably deal with an issue that sees little exposure in FYM (or anywhere else for that matter)

Topics might include: non-Iraq related foriegn policy issues; commentary on governments other than American, Western European, or Australian; social issues that don't get a lot of press; up-and-coming environmental topics; topics about anthropology or sociobiology...the list goes on and on.

I have a vision of this thread becoming a sort of catch-all thread for overlooked issues, from which individual threads for overlooked issues can spring.

So. Let's see what y'all can come up with. ;)

:waves: I don't post in here very much (cept for lately)

We started this discussion in the peace thread... and then moved it to it's own thread where it promptly died... but I'd still like to hear people's opinions on the matter of instincts, do humans have them or not?

http://forum2.interference.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=71368

Did I do good, paxe? :)

I do not think that they should drill for petroleum or natural gas in the Eastern Gulf of Mexico region (the designated sector beginning 5 miles west of the Alabama/Florida state line and extending to the Florida Keys).

~U2Alabama

I am concerned about cloning in general. New Zealand is cloning cows that produce milk that is different from other cow's milk. It is easier to turn into cheese. This is disturbing to me.

Hi Bama...good to see you. I am heading back to my sebatical.

GMO milk to cut cheese making costs?

28/01/03 - News to delight dairy manufacturers and dismay opponents to genetically modified foods arrived this week with publication of a new study that reveals protein-rich milk from not only cloned but also genetically modified cows could cut cheese-making costs. The cloned cattle carry extra copies of the genes for two types of the protein casein, key for cheese and yoghurt manufacturers.

Researchers at the biotech company AgResearch in New Zealand set out to enhance milk composition and milk processing efficiency by increasing the ?-casein and k-casein concentration in milk.
Scientists, led by study leader G?tz Laible, introduced additional copies of the genes encoding bovine ?- and k-casein (CSN2 and CSN3 respectively) into female dairy cows. The researchers then transferred the nucleus into unfertilised cow eggs. Of the 126 modified embryos, 11 cows survived until after weaning.

The results showed that nine cows produced milk with an eight to 20 per cent increase in casein, leading the scientists to suggest that such modification could have a very real impact on the functional properties of dairy milk.

Controversial at the best of times, milk from genetically modified cloned cows is certain to stir up a vociferous opposition. While most scientists believe that milk from cloned cows is no different to normal milk, they are less certain about the safety of milk from genetically modified cows. The team in New Zealand did stress the need for further testing in order to establish the safety of the milk.

Last edited:
Save the Choctawhatchee Beach Mouse.

Beach_Mouse.jpg

~U2Alabama

Fantastic idea Pax! Hopefully the enthusiasm will spill out of here too, so we can keep a balance of topics. Bush and Iraq have their place, but variety is good.

--------------------

Why wont John Howard (the Australian Prime Minister) say sorry?
'Sorry' is a keyword in Australia's reconciliation process with the indigenous Australians, the Aboriginals. He refuses to utter this one word, and they are pushing for a public acknowledgement and ownership of past troubles and thus an apology. He simply won't do it. Why? Well, I guess only Mr Howard knows that one for certain. The political side to his stance we can speculate on.
There are many facets to the debate, and it seems this country is divided on pretty much all of them. I wonder at the focus on the word 'sorry'. Aboriginal Australia wants an apology, and that is fine, who am I to argue after all? So who should do the apologising? Our current government? I love the stunning silence from England on the whole issue. It would be so easy to just simply draw in your breath and say, "On behalf of all Australians, we/I am sorry". It sure would go a long way.
Sometmies I try to work out what exactly it will take for all of us here to co-exist and live as one harmonious multicultural and multiracial nation. The lack of respect and willingness to work together is disheartening.
We got a long way to go it seems.

Dreadsox said:
I am concerned about cloning in general. New Zealand is cloning cows that produce milk that is different from other cow's milk. It is easier to turn into cheese. This is disturbing to me.

i agree wholeheartedly.

cloning animals is downright disturbing. humans, thats a different story... :wink:

i like this thread.

Domestic crimes

I'm seriously disheartened by what I perceive as a rise in domestic crimes.

I'm not talking about simple domestic assault, though what I am referring to is in all likelihood intrinsically linked to assaults.

I'm talking about parents killing their children, children killing their parents, siblings killing one another.

There is so much shit going on in the world that you'd think that at a minimum you'd be able to turn to your own flesh and blood for safety and support.

What's hard for me is that I can't even say if my own brothers, sisters or even parents would one day turn on me and do me harm or not.

It's pretty sad, really.

Angie, I believe that the reason why Howard won't say sorry (and, I suspect nor will his coalition successors) is that he, frankly, isn't. Might makes right and all that.

I am personally ambivalent about it all these days, as I sense that all these issues: saying 'sorry', a republic, etc etc are now no more than political footballs. Make no mistake, there's a culture war going on out there. And Paddy McGuinness is the bovver boy, among others. Howard gets to look statesmanlike by not entering the fray.

You're probaby right K. Needless to say, this should be Johnny's last term and I dont see Crean winning the next election somehow. Its the same old issues over and over and they end up at the same standstill.

Crean himself is somewhat of a loser. but there are a ton of issues that a loyal opposition could and should be tackling. If Labor had guts they would win in a landslide. As it is I expect a Costello government to probably limp back into office with some kind of smaller majority.

paxetaurora said:
Topics might include: non-Iraq related foriegn policy issues; commentary on governments other than American, Western European, or Australian; social issues that don't get a lot of press; up-and-coming environmental topics; topics about anthropology or sociobiology...the list goes on and on.

Social issues that don?t get a lot of press? What about the thread below? I was hoping to read some thoughts and ideas about the WSF, but it ended up being a sort of informative thread. Anyways...

http://forum.interference.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=71160

I am curious about the fact that this administration seems to be heading back down the track of deficit spending.

I was talking to an Aussie friend today about the "apology" issue and it all sounds very much like some of the stuff I heard bandied about regarding race relations with African Americans at my college. Avoidance is so much easier, isn't it. blah.

I also heard from another Aussie the other day that Indonesian troops had crossed back into East Timor recently and I wonder what if anything the int'l community is going to do about that.

Oops, really? Well East Timor is one of the last countries that joined the UN. They should do sth. about it. When did that happen?

Hi Sula :up:

Senator Zell Miller, Democrat from Georgia, has announced that he will not be seeking re-election in 2004.

This will likely worry Republicans (because he usually voted with them) and Democrats (because it will create an open, non-incumbent seat).

~U2Alabama

Last edited:
sulawesigirl4 said:
I am curious about the fact that this administration seems to be heading back down the track of deficit spending.

A conservative commentator on FOXNews last night described his spending pledges as "Clintonian" after the State of the Union Address.

~U2Alabama

paxetaurora said:
Here's an interesting website:

www.feministsforlife.org

Helps to address the questions and challenges faced by women who consider themselves feminists but also anti-abortion.

Hmmm, interesting topic... I am not very fluent with feminist theories, but I think this website concentrates very much on anti-abortion issues, and probably not that much on other feminist issues.

What would you think of abortion after rape, paxetaurora? And then, I know the number of abortions is very high, probably too high, but shouldn?t the decision be left to every women on her own?

I have to admit i am a little biased, because all I normally here of anti.abortion is really bad stuff, like protesters denying access to clinics and other weird stuff.

What do you think?

Back
Top Bottom