The FYM Archive is an interesting place.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
80sU2isBest said:
For the record, I have said that I don't condone what they did to the American Indians. That was a very ugly and cruel part of our history. However, driving people from their lands and forcing them to live on reservations is not comparable to mass gassings.

http://jama.ama-assn.org/cgi/content/full/281/22/2127

Smallpox probably was first used as a biological weapon during the French and Indian Wars (1754-1767) by British forces in North America. Soldiers distributed blankets that had been used by smallpox patients with the intent of initiating outbreaks among American Indians. Epidemics occurred, killing more than 50% of many affected tribes. With Edward Jenner's demonstration in 1796 that an infection caused by cowpox protected against smallpox and the rapid diffusion worldwide of the practice of cowpox inoculation (ie, vaccination), the potential threat of smallpox as a bioweapon was greatly diminished.

80sU2isBest said:

But there is nothing in the Indian Removal Act that orders or even condones killing any Native Americans.

So that puts the horrors on who, the people who carried out the orders?

CTU2fan said:
I think what my American ancestors did to the Native Americans is very comparable to the Nazis. Biggest difference is, history is usually kind(er) to the winners in any conflict, so what white America did is somehow acceptable. This was also a society that permitted slavery, let's not forget.

Yeah, problem is, it's hard to say what would have happened, had the Whites the same methods and possiblities at hand the Nazis had.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom