The Fracturing of a Party...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
2861U2 said:

What do you mean?

I mean you could have picked one of the several sexists quotes Matthews has been documented as saying and I would have respected that.

But you chose a hyperbole? One in the vein of someone saying, "not liking baseball is un-American", as one of the stupidest things you've heard in your life? There are at least 3 quotes in this thread that far far worse and actually qualify as stupid comments. Let's just say you went beyond bias on this one.

BonoVoxSupastar said:

I mean you could have picked one of the several sexists quotes Matthews has been documented as saying and I would have respected that.

But you chose a hyperbole? One in the vein of someone saying, "not liking baseball is un-American", as one of the stupidest things you've heard in your life? There are at least 3 quotes in this thread that far far worse and actually qualify as stupid comments. Let's just say you went beyond bias on this one.

:rolleyes: Wow.

You know, that's a really bad analogy. Nobody is trying to get baseball elected president.

I wasn't simply a "hyperbole." It was a stupid and offensive thing to say. I know you and most everyone here probably doesn't see that because you probably all agree with him. But look at it from the eyes of someone who (call me crazy) isn't completely awed and amazed at Obama. What if a comment like that had been made by Sean Hannity about Mitt Romney? Would you still say it was just a hyperbole? It's obvious Chris Matthews is rooting for Obama, but to say something dishonest like that to clearly try to attract more votes for him is disgraceful.

martha said:

http://www.latimes.com/news/columnists/la-me-parsons7feb07,1,2091681.column?ctrack=3&cset=true

Here's a little piece about a man who just might take his ball and go home to pout.

"In broader strokes, Heft says, is McCain's willingness to partner with Democrats on legislation. And McCain's desire to close the Guantanamo detention center or to give suspected terrorists access to U.S. courts. Or that in the 2000 campaign McCain implied that evangelical Christians, like Heft, are intolerant."

Why the fuck are these Conservatives so scared of unity and working together? That's how our government is designed to work. How could people be so blazingly ignorant? This paragraph and all you said in it, Mr Heft, might have something to do with McCain calling Evangelicals "intolerant". Supporting a prison that allows the torture of another human being and thinking your opinions are too superior to possibly compromise with someone else isn't exactly the most tolerant approach to life. This makes me sick on every level.
:|

2861U2 said:

You know, that's a really bad analogy. Nobody is trying to get baseball elected president.

I wasn't simply a "hyperbole." It was a stupid and offensive thing to say. I know you and most everyone here probably doesn't see that because you probably all agree with him. But look at it from the eyes of someone who (call me crazy) isn't completely awed and amazed at Obama. What if a comment like that had been made by Sean Hannity about Mitt Romney? Would you still say it was just a hyperbole? It's obvious Chris Matthews is rooting for Obama, but to say something dishonest like that to clearly try to attract more votes for him is disgraceful.

I would still consider it hyperbole, as much as I dislike both Sean Hannity and Mitt Romney. I see it as an overexaggeration of a quality that a person admires in someone else. That is the very definition of hyperbole in that instance. I think the difference in opinion between you and those of us on the hyperbole side is similar to what you said about your disdain for Obama. You clearly disagree with him on a political point of view and feel he would be the wrong president. Therefore, it's completely foreign to you to feel that way about Obama. It would sound just as crazy for me to hear someone like Hannity or Bill O'Reilly saying something similar about Romney or McCain. I think they would be the wrong choice as president, so on the surface I would think a statement like the one Matthews made about Obama is crazy because I can't imagine feeling that way. Stepping back and looking objectively though, I would just see someone attempting to show the depth of their support for said candidate.

On a side note, a baseball would probably do a better job running the country than our current president...:|

Last edited:
2861U2 said:

:banghead: I said it was in the same vein... It's a common phrase, "_____ is un-American", people don't really mean it.

2861U2 said:

Now it's offensive? Probably all agree with him? Yes we all literally agree that if you don't cry at an Obama speech then you aren't an American. Wow, you figured us out. We actually have secret underground meetings and we ruled on this. That's our way of knowing who's really an American and who isn't. The first day of office Obama is going to give a speech and every dry eye gets deported.

Headache in a Suitcase said:
it would be nice if both parties split in half... alas, it'll never happen.

4 parties? :hmm: I think there may be too much deadlock with 4 parties.

I think if a portion of both parties left the existing parties and joined to create a new party it would make more sense...

Certain posters' fantasies aside, the Republicans are really the party with their panties all wadded up. Steve was watching some conservative station yesterday and Orrin Hatch was on. Apparently, he and the host were discussing how many Republican voters should just stay home rather than vote for McCain.

:rolleyes: Babies. :tsk:

in some ways, though, McCain is in a good position.

he's dangerous from the middle. he is much to the left of the base of the Republican party, and he has a history of playing well with others, or being a "traitor" if you'd like to watch Nancy Pelosi burned at the stake like Rush, Hannity, Coulter, Dobson, et al.

so the Democrats have to portray him as being too far to the right for independents, moderates, and the liberal GOP to ever vote for. certainly his stance on Iraq will help, but they have to frame him as being a right wing warmonger who's admitted to his own economic deficiencies. but the more the Democrats push him to the right, the more palatable he might become to the base.

could be very interesting.

Maybe, but the "real conservatives" would rather not vote than vote for McCain (see Rush Limbaugh, James Dobson, etc) .

I guess they'd rather hand over the Presidency (and therefore any nominations for Supreme court) to the Dems rather than vote for McCain. Oh well, just shows again how stupid they are.

martha said:
Certain posters' fantasies aside, the Republicans are really the party with their panties all wadded up. Steve was watching some conservative station yesterday and Orrin Hatch was on. Apparently, he and the host were discussing how many Republican voters should just stay home rather than vote for McCain.

:rolleyes: Babies. :tsk:

The Republicans have a nominee, the Democrats don't.

The reality of the situation is that only certain states are going to matter in November. Most of the people that are currently upset about McCain and will allegedly stay home live in states that are going to go red whether they show up at the voting booth or not.

What matters are the following states Ohio, Pennsylvania, Wisconsin, Iowa, New Mexico, New Hampshire, Nevada, Colorado, Minnesota, Michigan, Florida, Oregon and Missouri.

Irvine511 said:
but it's the evangelicals who turned Ohio and Florida Red.

without them, those states are Blue.

I seriously doubt that since most of them do not live there except for northern Florida. If McCain puts Governor Criss on the ticket then that secures Florida. Ohio is not Alabama, and neither is Pennsylvania which may go red this year for the first time since Bush Sr won it in 1988. The margin of victory by the Democrats in Pennsylvania has dropped every election since 1992.

Strongbow said:

I seriously doubt that since most of them do not live there except for northern Florida. If McCain puts Governor Criss on the ticket then that secures Florida. Ohio is not Alabama, and neither is Pennsylvania which may go red this year for the first time since Bush Sr won it in 1988. The margin of victory by the Democrats in Pennsylvania has dropped every election since 1992.

Ohio has evangelicals who turned out to gay bash and this flipped the state for Bush in 2004. it's precisely because Ohio is not Alabama, or Tennessee, that the evangelicals there matter so much, just as they do in Pennsylvania which has aptly been described as "Philadelphia and Pittsburgh, with Alabama in between."

there is no way Crist will be on the ticket.

It will be Huckabee, a wonderful way to attract those moderates and independents! Woooo!

Is that windbag Lou Dobbs still talking about running?

He'd get lots of votes from the immigrant bashing crowd, actually.

anitram said:

That is true, but I don't think too many others would take him seriously, thank God. He's like Bill O'Reilly to me; I can't watch his show for more than 2 minutes without feeling my IQ start to drop. The lack of applied intelligence and logical thinking in both of them makes me want bang my head against the wall.

anitram said:

i take back my prediction that McCain is going to pander to the right by bashing gays first.

i bet he's going to start by kicking some Mexicans.

I don't think McCain can really do that without being branded the biggest flip flopper in the history of flip flopping. Besides, what would be the point? He's running against somebody who isn't going to make immigration an issue anyway. The only way he starts bashing is if some loon like Dobbs runs on a 3rd party ticket and starts siphoning Republican votes.

Irvine511 said:

i take back my prediction that McCain is going to pander to the right by bashing gays first.

i bet he's going to start by kicking some Mexicans.

He's already shying away from the immigration bill he originally co-sponsored with Hillary Clinton, Ted Kennedy, and others. I'd say he's started to play the part quite well already.

Irvine511 said:

Ohio has evangelicals who turned out to gay bash and this flipped the state for Bush in 2004. it's precisely because Ohio is not Alabama, or Tennessee, that the evangelicals there matter so much, just as they do in Pennsylvania which has aptly been described as "Philadelphia and Pittsburgh, with Alabama in between."

there is no way Crist will be on the ticket.

Bush also won significantly among Catholics in 2004 in Ohio, 52% to 47%, if such exit polling is accurate. In any event, I think the whole evangelical vote is overrated, and no one has precise figures on the views and religion of everyone who voted in Ohio in 2004. Just exit polls which also showed that John Kerry was going to win the election. Bottom line, McCain is Pro-life, Hillary and Obama are not, so most of these people who voted in 2004 will vote in 2008, just like they always have.

Has Crist specifically said he would not accept being on the ticket?

Back
Top Bottom