The Fracturing of a Party...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
anitram said:

Oh please.

The polls show that more than 70% of Democrats would be happy EITHER way.

Hey, I didn't say I necessarily fully believed in that theory. It was just interesting.

I heard that stat last night, too. Is 70% really that good? Slightly more than 2/3? It doesn't seem that great to me.

anitram said:

The polls show that more than 70% of Democrats would be happy EITHER way.

And do you honestly believe that after 8 horrific years under Bush, anyone but the staunchest Republican is eager to repeat that clusterfuck?

:up: That sums up the recent fall of the GOP quite nicely. There are too many candidates, the voters are divided, and besides, people are scared of the word "conservative" now thanks to Bush's incompetence.

This wasn't all that difficult to predict.

2861U2 said:

Hey, I didn't say I necessarily fully believed in that theory. It was just interesting.

I heard that stat last night, too. Is 70% really that good? Slightly more than 2/3? It doesn't seem that great to me.

The GOP numbers are probably much worse.

LemonMelon said:

Not if he starts pandering to the right.

Which...uhh...he's been doing for ages now.

He has been pandering, but is it working? He's basically sold himself out, a reason why I think he isn't going to be as strong with independents as people originally thought.

anitram said:

Especially if he nominates Huckabee as VP. Imagine the overwhelming excitement for moderate independents and dems - to vote for a creationist who wants to amend the Constitution to streamline it with the Bible. There's a fantastic selling point!!

Who the heck doesn't want a theocracy?:happy: Those usually work out so well....m i rite guyz?!!!111??11?:hyper:

What's interesting to me is that I think for the first time the Democratic party has two really strong candidates. That is why the race is so close and the debate about who to choose can get so heated. It's hard to choose.

Although I prefer Obama and think he would have an edge in the general election, I would still be satisfied if Clinton was the nominee. Still, I don't think his edge is too big because as other people have said, the people who really dislike Hillary seem to dislike McCain even more, which is weird, but then Rush and Glen Beck never did make much sense to me. The far right who are attacking McCain would have to do an enormous amount of backtracking if they're going to support him next fall.

I don't think Democrats would stay home in the general election if their preferred candidate does not get the nomination. I wonder if the far right would if McCain gets the nomination.

BonoVoxSupastar said:

He has been pandering, but is it working? He's basically sold himself out, a reason why I think he isn't going to be as strong with independents as people originally thought.

Right. He'll struggle in the open election, when every and all parties are welcome. For now, he's safe because the other candidates are canceling each other out.

Let it be known that I do not support McCain, and am disappointed with Huckabee's recent fall from grace. I really would vote Obama over McCain at this point.

LemonMelon said:

:up: That sums up the recent fall of the GOP quite nicely. There are too many candidates, the voters are divided, and besides, people are scared of the word "conservative" now thanks to Bush's incompetence.

This wasn't all that difficult to predict.

Excellent points. Even some of the more moderate Republicans seem to be distancing themselves from the Conservative system. Only the ultra-right evangelicals are still shouting their conservatism from the rooftops and most of them only care about abortion and gay marriage, which are clearly the biggest issues our country faces.:huh:

The Rebublican Party fractured, in my view, a decade ago or so ago.

That's when I became a Libertarian.

The current President Bush has hammered the death nail on the GOP.

I talked to several of my friends today, who have voted Rebublican the past few years, but they are really upset at the direction of the party.

He ignored and trampled conservatives values concerning less government, personal freedoms, taxes, and on and on.

What a waste :(

LemonMelon said:

and besides, people are scared of the word "conservative" now thanks to Bush's incompetence.

I remember when Bush made the word 'compassionate' scary for Republicans... They were scared shitless of that word, says a lot.

LemonMelon said:

Right. He'll struggle in the open election, when every and all parties are welcome. For now, he's safe because the other candidates are canceling each other out.

Let it be known that I do not support McCain, and am disappointed with Huckabee's recent fall from grace. I really would vote Obama over McCain at this point.

You were a Huckabee supporter?:eyebrow:

U2isthebest said:

You were a Huckabee supporter?:eyebrow:

Yes. I liked that he was pure and didn't have a history of pandering (like McCain and Romney, who scares the hell out of me). Of course, he pigeonholed himself, so there's no way he gets on the ticket now.

the iron horse said:
The Rebublican Party fractured, in my view, a decade ago or so ago.

That's when I became a Libertarian.

The current President Bush has hammered the death nail on the GOP.

I talked to several of my friends today, who have voted Rebublican the past few years, but they are really upset at the direction of the party.

He ignored and trampled conservatives values concerning less government, personal freedoms, taxes, and on and on.

What a waste :(

How can a party, being the Republicans in this instance, talk about the importance of "personal freedoms" when they won't let certain people marry because of the gender of their partner? Isn't that ironic? And yeah I really do think...:wink:

LemonMelon said:

Yes. I liked that he was pure and didn't have a history of pandering (like McCain and Romney, who scares the hell out of me). Of course, he pigeonholed himself, so there's no way he gets on the ticket now.

Personally, he seems like a great guy. He's funny, down-to-earth, and just seems nice. But he wants to turn this country into a "Christian nation." As a Christian, that scares the shit out me.:|

U2isthebest said:

Personally, he seems like a great guy. He's funny, down-to-earth, and just seems nice. But he wants to turn this country into a "Christian nation." As a Christian, that scares the shit out me.:|

I know what you mean. He seems like a great guy, until you find out what he stands for.

It's like, "Wow, what a cool guy, he seems ni - HE WANTS TO DO WHAT TO THE CONSTITUTION!?!?"

U2isthebest said:

How can a party, being the Republicans in this instance, talk about the importance of "personal freedoms" when they won't let certain people marry because of the gender of their partner? Isn't that ironic? And yeah I really do think...:wink:

Did you read my post?

You sound like you are disgreeing with the post.

the iron horse said:

Did you read my post?

You sound like you are disgreeing with the post.

I did, and I don't disagree with the basic points of it. I was commenting more on the beliefs of your Republican friends who say they want more personal freedom yet often stand for taking them away, i.e. my original response to you. Sorry! I should've been more clear!

I think Huckabee is the most genuine person in this race. He genuinely believes all the insane things he says and for that I can respect him on some level.

But it doesn't make him any less nuts.

anitram said:
I think Huckabee is the most genuine person in this race. He genuinely believes all the insane things he says and for that I can respect him on some level.

That's the perfect description...

kellyahern said:

I know what you mean. He seems like a great guy, until you find out what he stands for.

It's like, "Wow, what a cool guy, he seems ni - HE WANTS TO DO WHAT TO THE CONSTITUTION!?!?"

If he was my neighbor, I'd hope he'd invite me for over to a barbeque. I'm sure he truly is a genuinely nice guy. However, a presidential candidate who wants to elevate one group's beliefs/values over those of the common good doesn't belong leading our nation if we still follow that little document called The Constitution.

U2isthebest said:

If he was my neighbor, I'd hope he'd invite me for over to a barbeque. I'm sure he truly is a genuinely nice guy. However, a presidential candidate who wants to elevate one group's beliefs/values over those of the common good doesn't belong leading our nation if we still follow that little document called The Constitution.

He's the Ned Flanders of this race :wink:

anitram said:

I don't think he's nuts at all. Then again, I'm conservative about 65% of the time, so I can understand why you would think both of us are nuts. :wink:

Now Ron Paul...he's nuts. Any party. Any time. Nuts.

LemonMelon said:
I don't think he's nuts at all. Then again, I'm conservative about 65% of the time, so I can understand why you would think both of us are nuts. :wink:

It's not his conservatism as much as it's his wish to take back America for Jesus and to rewrite the Constitution to match God's word.

2861U2 said:

Think about if Obama gets the nomination. A lot of women who really wanted the woman to win may be angry, and while they may like Obama alright, they'll stay home because "their" candidate didn't win.

what the fuck?!?!?!?

LemonMelon said:

You don't think ammending the constitution to be more like the Bible is whacky?:huh:

Anybody who says we need to amend the Constitution to bring it in line with the Bible has a few screws loose in my opinion. It's outrageous to even suggest.

But on to funnier things...

Glenn Beck just hung up on Huckabee! He first flipped out when he had him on the phone, accusing him of being an unelectable spoiler for Romney, then he just had enough of him and hung up.

Hilarious!

Back
Top Bottom