The Facts differ from the pre war PR a lot

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Klaus

Refugee
on a one of these small green spots at that blue p
What i saw in the news for the last weeks really made me sad, i've seen a interview with people who run the new "free" radiostation in Iraq. There is a US Soldier inside the station with a gun inside rereading the news, asked what he is doing was "he ensures that Iraq has a free press", later on he told the German reporters that sometimes, if the free press dosn't mention some new great things the US did for iraq, he writes articles which have to be sent.
Asked if he also dosn't allow them to send some articles they wrote - he said "yes"

Welcome reporters of "free iraq" :(

Later i read a article on BBC about the new mobile phone standard in iraq. It is different from any other arabic country and it is different from the turkey standard (has a border with iraq) - it is the US standard. It's easy to imagine that they have to follow that standard so that US companies get the contracts, also it dosn't make much sense (every iraqi who wants to visit a neighbour country has to buy a 2nd celphone etc)

Then an article about Afghanistan shocked me (remember that free and liberated country?) Since August last year the Taliban are on the rise again, most insiders think that the Taliban reform in Pakistan (friend of the US) :(

Osama Bin Laden and Mullah Omar are verry likely to be alive and active and the current president of Afghanistan Hamid Karsa isn't accepted by the people of Afghanistan :(
To stop the rerise of the Taliban there is more military force needed - no democracy is still far away :(

Seems like the western world f***s it up again. We shouldn't be surprised that those people will hate us more then ever in the future.

0,1307,OID2034984,00.jpg

Klaus

BonoVoxSupastar said:
Free doesn't mean propaganda free, just look at the US.

So true. I'm getting more and more pissed off about Iraq every day. Now I know why I was so skeptical of this "liberation" rhetoric. I would have supported a true liberation. This ain't it.:madspit: :mad: :censored: :censored: :censored:

nbcrusader said:

i.e., if it supports GWB, it must be propaganda....

No there's a difference between support and control of information, but I think we've already gone through this issue here at FYM.

BonoVoxSupastar:
I guess we would be shocked if a guy with a machinegun would sit in the CNN building to verify al the news. Whats hapening there is closer to the press under the previous Dictatoric regime than what we call free press.

But at least the Iraqis have some freedom Rape isn't a beautiful face of freedom but hey - freedom dosn't have only beautiful sides (can anyone remember the original statement of rumsfeld when he talked about the lootings after the war?)

Ah forgot that one in the original post:
The plans pumping the oil through the Iraqi-Israeli pipline (and making the israelis profit from the iraqi oil) will for sure increase the heat in the middle east too.
These amateurs who are responsible for all these fatal things happening down there should be forced to live in that region for the next years - to see with their own eyes and experience that there is a difference between wishfull thinking and reality.

Klaus

I agree that it wouldn't be a bad idea for the big shots to have to live in Iraq for awhile. "Wishful thinking" can be truly lethal stuff. It's annoying that so many leaders in the West know so little about Islamic and Arabic culture. The more screw-ups not only leaders in the U.S. but other Western nations like the U.K. and France and Germany commit the worse it is for everyone.

Back
Top Bottom