The F$$d P$lice are C$ming

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
The White House pastry chef takes a stand.

Yosses is leaving the White House in June to work on a new project focusing on “food literacy” and The New York Times says Michelle is “partly to blame.” The openly gay chef was hired by Laura Bush in 2007 to make his trademark cookie plates and sugar sculptures. Mrs. Obama took over in 2009 and ordered Yosses to make healthier plates in smaller portions."

White House pastry chef: 'I don't want to demonize sugar' | The Daily Caller

Some of the these lunches look like the ones served to the students in my school. The portions are small, weird concoctions using chicken. Chicken is used in anything named meat:hambuger meat, spaghetti, the hotdogs...meat loaf.
The dark wheat buns taste like cardboard. The milk is a watered mess.

Growing children need fat in their diet for energy. I agree children should eat a balanced nutritious diet, but this goes way too far.

Some students are starting to rebel.

Hungry kids revolt against Michelle Obama’s tiny school lunches | Twitchy

I'm confused -- did Michelle Obama personally make those lunches for those kids? Because they sure are acting like they did.

Also, great source for news. A bunch of tweets, all of which actually name her! Kids today!

So we're surprised that kids who are used to eating total crap at school (and elsewhere) in unhealthy quantities are pissed because they might have to stomach lean ground chicken? Ooookay.

I'm not sure when "rebelling" and "tweeting" became one in the same (friggin' keyboard warriors), but I'm more concerned with the quality of their English classes than anything lunch-related.

This article is full of shit. Where do you find these websites?

From the article:

"The new government regulations require snack items served in public schools to have less than two hundred calories. That includes vending machines, lunch rooms and other campus food venues.

And that’s really bad news for kids at South Carolina’s Socastee High School. They’ve just learned they will no longer be allowed to buy Chick-fil-A sandwiches at school."

Chick fil A sandwiches were not being sold as SNACKS. Not only is this article trying to make a stretch with its title, it's just flat out lying.

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference

Ermagherd, some people don't want our kids to grow up addicted to sugar and as fat as the current generation. Someone, stop them! Think of the children!

This article is full of shit. Where do you find these websites?

From the article:

"The new government regulations require snack items served in public schools to have less than two hundred calories. That includes vending machines, lunch rooms and other campus food venues.

And that’s really bad news for kids at South Carolina’s Socastee High School. They’ve just learned they will no longer be allowed to buy Chick-fil-A sandwiches at school."

Chick fil A sandwiches were not being sold as SNACKS. Not only is this article trying to make a stretch with its title, it's just flat out lying.

Where do I find these websites?

Believe me, I don't go searching for them
but I do read a lot of online news.
And I never see this on CBS,NBC,ABC or CNN.

Why do you have a negative reaction?

And a few more passages:

Ever since Mrs. Obama named herself as America’s Lunch Lady, students across the fruited plain have been in full-scale rebellion. The government mandated smaller portions have been met with great resistance – especially in farming communities.

Since 2010, participation in the National School Lunch Program declined by 1.2 million students. That’s a 3.7 percent drop. Red-blooded American kids are rising up and declaring, “Just Say No to Kumquats.”

School leaders are bracing for the outrage when returning students learn that there won’t be any more bake sales. No more cupcakes. No more Cheese Doodles. Just bottled water and fat-free kale chips – all thanks to Mrs. Obama’s meddling.

Remember that the next time you see Mrs. Obama scarfing down and burrito chili cheese fries — while telling the rest of us to eat our Brussels sprouts.

Just some food for thought.

Where do I find these websites?

Believe me, I don't go searching for them

but I do read a lot of online news.

And I never see this on CBS,NBC,ABC or CNN.

Why do you have a negative reaction?

And a few more passages:

Ever since Mrs. Obama named herself as America’s Lunch Lady, students across the fruited plain have been in full-scale rebellion. The government mandated smaller portions have been met with great resistance – especially in farming communities.

Since 2010, participation in the National School Lunch Program declined by 1.2 million students. That’s a 3.7 percent drop. Red-blooded American kids are rising up and declaring, “Just Say No to Kumquats.”

School leaders are bracing for the outrage when returning students learn that there won’t be any more bake sales. No more cupcakes. No more Cheese Doodles. Just bottled water and fat-free kale chips – all thanks to Mrs. Obama’s meddling.

Remember that the next time you see Mrs. Obama scarfing down and burrito chili cheese fries — while telling the rest of us to eat our Brussels sprouts.

Just some food for thought.

Did you not read my post? The negative reaction is due to his lies. It's a piss poor excuse for journalism. You are falling for lies and propaganda.

Try checking facts. Food for thought.

Did you not read my post? The negative reaction is due to his lies. It's a piss poor excuse for journalism. You are falling for lies and propaganda.

Try checking facts. Food for thought.

Please post the lies.
If he lied in his report, I will repent of my error.

Please post the lies.

If he lied in his report, I will repent of my error.

I did. Are you willfully doing this?

The law he quoted refers to SNACKS. A lunch Chic Fil A sandwich doesn't fall under the definition of snack. Michelle had nothing to do with this departure from ONE school. The liar wants to equate Michelle with a war on the conservative baby Chic Fil A, and you fell for it.

I would expect a teacher to know better. No need to repent your error, just let us know you'll never spread this kind of bs to your students.

I did. Are you willfully doing this?

The law he quoted refers to SNACKS. A lunch Chic Fil A sandwich doesn't fall under the definition of snack. Michelle had nothing to do with this departure from ONE school. The liar wants to equate Michelle with a war on the conservative baby Chic Fil A, and you fell for it.

I would expect a teacher to know better. No need to repent your error, just let us know you'll never spread this kind of bs to your students.

What?

More from the article:

The new government regulations require snack items served in public schools to have less than two hundred calories. That includes vending machines, lunch rooms and other campus food venues.

See the word lunch rooms?

What?

More from the article:

The new government regulations require snack items served in public schools to have less than two hundred calories. That includes vending machines, lunch rooms and other campus food venues.

See the word lunch rooms?

They are still only talking about SNACK items, not lunch or breakfast ENTREES.

If you insist on burying your head in the sand then I can't help you. This "author" and website are known hacks.

Who do I blame for the outrageousness I experienced at my local stop & shop? They had 6 different flavors of Doritos, but not a single bag of red lentils in the store! Clearly this is the work of a nefarious organization! It must be the food police! Oh wait...

Man, I would have love it if my school served kale chips when I was a kid. All we got were chicken nuggets and hot dogs.

press > > > > play

Study Finds Elementary Students Like New Healthier Lunches

Students Complained When Regulations Implemented, But Ultimately Found Them Agreeable

By CAROLINE PORTER and STEPHANIE ARMOUR CONNECT
Updated July 21, 2014 7:39 p.m. ET

A new study reveals that the healthier school lunches despised in 2012 are now found to be agreeable among students and staffers.

When the federal government implemented new school-meal regulations in 2012, a majority of elementary-school students complained about the healthier lunches, but by the end of the school year most found the food agreeable, according to survey results released Monday.

The peer-reviewed study comes amid concerns that the regulations led schools to throw away more uneaten food and prompted some students to drop out of meal programs.

Researchers at the University of Illinois at Chicago surveyed administrators at more than 500 primary schools about student reaction to the new meals in the 2012-2013 school year. They found that 70% agreed or strongly agreed that students, by the end of the school year, generally liked the new lunches, which feature more whole grains, vegetables and fruits, and lower fat levels.

"We feel like these data support the new meals and show that although change can be slow, there have not been as many student complaints as thought to be," said Lindsey Turner, the lead author of the study, which will be published in the journal Childhood Obesity. The research was supported by a national group called Bridging the Gap that studies polices that improve health and was funded by the Robert Wood Johnson Foundation, which backs public-health initiatives.

In another study, published in the American Journal of Preventive Medicine this past spring, researchers found that students were eating more fruits and vegetables under the new guidelines.

The school-meal standards have been contentious. Some Republicans criticized their calorie limits—the first time the government had imposed such a mandate on school meals—and in 2012 introduced legislation in the House to repeal the requirements. The standards also spurred student-led lunch boycotts in some districts.

Participation in the school-meal program has declined in recent years, fueling questions about the regulations' impact.

"Our big concern is that participation continues to slide," said Diane Pratt-Heavner, spokeswoman for the School Nutrition Association, which represents 55,000 school-nutritional professionals. The group seeks a relaxation of the rules, and says it believes they play a role in the decline in students participating.

Nationwide, participation in the school-lunch program fell by 1.2 million students, or 3.7%, from the 2010-2011 school year through the 2012-2013 year after having steadily increased for many years, according to a Feb. 27 report by the U.S. Government Accountability Office. State and local officials reported the drop was due in part to the new standards.

The study released Monday shows that schools in which two-thirds or more of students qualified for free or reduced-price lunch had higher participation and left less food on their plates than schools with fewer students qualified for the meals. In addition, administrators at rural schools reported more student complaints and wasted food, as well as participation drops, as compared with urban or suburban schools, according to the report.

The rules cover the roughly 32 million children who eat school breakfasts, lunches and snacks, according to the U.S. Department of Agriculture, which says the program cost $15.2 billion in the 2013-2014 school year.

The requirement for healthier school food was a signature push of first lady Michelle Obama. The standards are aimed at reducing childhood obesity and were released in January 2012. Ms. Obama earlier this month vowed to fight GOP efforts to weaken the rules. House Republicans and the School Nutrition Association are seeking to relax some of the requirements in the Healthy Hunger-Free Kids Act of 2010.

House Republicans are calling for some schools facing financial challenges to get a temporary waiver from the rules. They say the standards have been money losers for some districts. Democrats say the schools simply need more time and that many have made a successful transition.

"It takes students a little bit to adjust," said Jessica Donze Black, a child nutrition expert for the Pew Charitable Trusts, a nonprofit that promotes healthy school meals. "A majority of schools are doing well, and we should be able to learn from those schools and move forward with the schools that are still struggling."

A hearing on school nutrition by the Senate Committee on Agriculture, Nutrition and Forestry is set for Wednesday.

Gee, who'd have thought kids eat what they are being fed... it's almost like they're as influential as children...

But it's good that they now have it on paper that it works. Now to change the parental cooking behaviour at home is a whole other league, but perhaps the exposure to healthier food will change the way these kids see food, and perhaps they will influence the choices at home. Or at least when they grow up they can make better choices for their own family.

Despite studies purporting the new food regulations are being
accepted by students more districts across the country are dropping out.

District drops federal lunch program

What irks me about this whole sham is that it will do little to fight obesity.

Instead of free play recess which has been cut to ten to fifteen minutes (if they have it all all)
...elementary kids have gym class. Ever watched elementary or middle schoolo gym classes? Half the time or more is spent standing around waiting to take a turn.

Why are dollar signs in place of o's in the thread title? Is spelling also a crazy liberal attempt to circumvent our freedom to eat hot dogs?

Have you seen kids outside at recess? After second grade, when they stop playing "boys chase girls" or vice versa, they mostly sit around waiting to go back inside.

"The calorie limitations and types of foods that have to be provided ... have resulted in the kids just saying 'I'm not going to eat that,'" Fort Thomas Superintendent Gene Kirchner said.

The 2,800-student district joins a small but growing number of school districts across the country – mostly wealthy districts who can afford to forfeit the money – who have dropped out of the federal program in the wake of stricter nutritional standards.

Schools said students don't like the unsalted potatoes, low-fat cheese or the mandatory fruits and vegetables. They throw food away or decide not to eat at all.

Great, don't eat it.

Believe me, every one of those kids IF THEY WERE HUNGRY would eat.

Seems that libertarians don't trust the government to regulate food.

It strikes me their trust in large corporations is rather touching.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom