The F$$d P$lice are C$ming

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
But don't you think having the information helps you "police" yourself?

The general population is fairly clueless when it comes to food, there are people out there that order salads thinking they are "watching their diet" and some of those salads are close to 2000 calories.

I certainly am, when it comes to fast food. There should be information as to calorie intake, carbs, trans fats, sugars and etc. A diabetic make think that a salad would be okay for them to eat. But, 2000 calories in one meal is too much caloric intake. 2000 calories is what should be spread out for us during the entire day. Diabetics can not skip meals and we do have to watch our weight. Lean and mean as my Dr. calls it. I have a weight range limit to stay within that keeps my blood sugars close to normal without meds. For example my best weight is between 135 and 150 pounds. If I go over this, my fasting blood sugar goes up. It may not be a big deal for others, but it is something I have to live with everyday.

Perhaps, fast food resturants should offer info. for diabetics and others who have health issues. Salt is another big one for those with high blood pressure.

No one is calling for a no salt diet.

No one is saying trees don't grow.

Who are you fighting against? Do you even remember?

I'm railing against this idea that if the government regulates our food choices,
this will help fight obesity.

Food is not the problem.

I watched a movie last night, The Naked City, that was filmed in NYC in 1947.

I saw only one or two people who were overweight.

The film was shot in NYC and showed several street scenes.

What were the children doing?

-jumping rope
-swimming
-running
-skating
-playing games
-on the playgrounds

Our lack of physical activity is the real problem.

I'm railing against this idea that if the government regulates our food choices,
this will help fight obesity.

But so far the federal government hasn't regulated any food choices.

They have not banned whole milk those were choices made at the local level.

They have not regulated salt, just shown what there studies have found.

The federal government has not changed your choices.

What were the children doing?

-jumping rope
-swimming
-running
-skating
-playing games
-on the playgrounds

Our lack of physical activity is the real problem.
There are kids who live in the city who walk miles and miles and miles weekly during their public transit commute to school and to the houses of friends, and are still obese.

It's not only lack of exercise or the elimination of recess.

Low-income parents live in neighbourhoods without a decent, affordable source of produce nearby, so they buy pre-processed shit for their kids and spoon it to them happily. Being able to source out fresh and nutritious food takes time, and time is a luxury many low-income households with long work hours do not have.

Are we supposed to have health education classes in the required curriculum, and then send kids not eating well at home off to a school lunch of fish sticks, soda, and pudding?

There are kids who live in the city who walk miles and miles and miles weekly during their public transit commute to school and to the houses of friends, and are still obese.

It's not only lack of exercise or the elimination of recess.

Low-income parents live in neighbourhoods without a decent, affordable source of produce nearby, so they buy pre-processed shit for their kids and spoon it to them happily. Being able to source out fresh and nutritious food takes time, and time is a luxury many low-income households with long work hours do not have.

Are we supposed to have health education classes in the required curriculum, and then send kids not eating well at home off to a school lunch of fish sticks, soda, and pudding?

Why not give them more recess time?

Why not give them more recess time?
Cliffs notes:

• I pointed out that I agree with you that more recess and more physical activity is needed for kids
  • I then pointed out that there are many other situations that contribute to childhood obesity, and that "kicking the kids out the door to go play stickball" isn't the only remedy

Cliffs notes:

• I pointed out that I agree with you that more recess and more physical activity is needed for kids
  • I then pointed out that there are many other situations that contribute to childhood obesity, and that "kicking the kids out the door to go play stickball" isn't the only remedy

What are the other many situations?

If you pointed them out, I missed them.

This topic is worth a good discussion :wave:

What are the other many situations?

If you pointed them out, I missed them.

This topic is worth a good discussion :wave:
I don't know if you are working in a city school district as opposed to a suburban one, but growing up in the early 90s I knew quite a few kids who were obese who regularly walked 3+ miles to school everyday and had a half-hour recess as well as about 30-40 minutes of lunchtime recess in which they engaged in all the physical playground activity (FOUR SQUARE BABY) as the skinny kids.

Still fat.

Lived in low-income households where lack of time to cook due to multiple jobs, and the cheapness and better availability of canned/processed food led to them eating pretty badly.

I'm not denying that more physical activity would benefit our kids, but I think to look at that as the only issue affecting child obesity isn't the right way, either.

I just naturally approach the issue from a city context because I grew up in one. Obviously, most suburban kids are walking a short distance to a bus stop and then sitting cooped up inside most of the day.

So it comes down to a lot of points you have to hit on to help curb the obesity problem in the U.S., Canada, the UK, and so on.

• More mandated physical activity in schools, even if its mandated cardio for the kids who are uncoordinated and hate track and field
  • Health classes that can realistically address the need for a more active lifestyle in our modern, tech-y society, instead of teaching some kind of antiquated, 1950s model of "general health"
  • More effort from parents to get their fat fucking kids out off the Xbox
  • Cities need to plan to get more fresh, affordable sources of produce and meat/poultry in low-income neighbourhoods where fast food is often cheaper and more convenient

Proper nutrition is definitely the responsibility of the parents, and I am eager to heap the blame on many households, but you have to agree that in this America, where both parents work jobs, time is usually a precious resource.

I don't think that it helps that kids are fed shit in a lot of school districts (fried chicken, soft drink machines, 'pizza day' every Wednesday, 'Tasty Cakes' products on sale, etc.

Elementary school is not a testing ground for the freedom of choice. School becomes about choice when you go to college. Until then, as a kid you are subordinate to your school superiors, and if they or the government tell you that they will no longer offer you Tasty Cakes in the caf because your lunch won't be the same as the shit you eat for breakfast/dinner, that's too fucking bad.

I see Iron Horse isn't really down for meaningful discussion on anything. Good luck to ya buddy, and I hope your students feel adequate shame for not realizing that you too, whitey, had ancestors who were slaves

:up:

Any teacher worth his salt wouldn't accept a paper citing the sources Iron Horse cites. Wikipedia is significantly more reliable than a research front for a political lobbyist group.

I don't know if you are working in a city school district as opposed to a suburban one, but growing up in the early 90s I knew quite a few kids who were obese who regularly walked 3+ miles to school everyday and had a half-hour recess as well as about 30-40 minutes of lunchtime recess in which they engaged in all the physical playground activity (FOUR SQUARE BABY) as the skinny kids.

Still fat.

Lived in low-income households where lack of time to cook due to multiple jobs, and the cheapness and better availability of canned/processed food led to them eating pretty badly.

I'm not denying that more physical activity would benefit our kids, but I think to look at that as the only issue affecting child obesity isn't the right way, either.

I just naturally approach the issue from a city context because I grew up in one. Obviously, most suburban kids are walking a short distance to a bus stop and then sitting cooped up inside most of the day.

So it comes down to a lot of points you have to hit on to help curb the obesity problem in the U.S., Canada, the UK, and so on.

• More mandated physical activity in schools, even if its mandated cardio for the kids who are uncoordinated and hate track and field
  • Health classes that can realistically address the need for a more active lifestyle in our modern, tech-y society, instead of teaching some kind of antiquated, 1950s model of "general health"
  • Cities need to plan to get more fresh, affordable sources of produce and meat/poultry in low-income neighbourhoods where fast food is often cheaper and more convenient

Proper nutrition is definitely the responsibility of the parents, and I am eager to heap the blame on many households, but you have to agree that in this America, where both parents work jobs, time is usually a precious resource.

I don't think that it helps that kids are fed shit in a lot of school districts (fried chicken, soft drink machines, 'pizza day' every Wednesday, 'Tasty Cakes' products on sale, etc.

Elementary school is not a testing ground for the freedom of choice. School becomes about choice when you go to college. Until then, as a kid you are subordinate to your school superiors, and if they or the government tell you that they will no longer offer you Tasty Cakes in the caf because your lunch won't be the same as the shit you eat for breakfast/dinner, that's too fucking bad.

I totally agree that there is more to the obesity problem than lack of exercise
as sited by headache a few pages back.

I think there are so many other factors involved. The above list is a place to start.. but it is not as easy to "get kids off the Xbox". Back in the day, the kids could roam around more freely. I read an article (or post?) awhile back that pointed out the increase in fear for children that parallels with the debut of shows like "America's Most Wanted". Today's parents don't feel safe sending the school age kids out to play without being able to fully focus on them. My Mom wasn't out with me when I went into the neighborhood to play.. she was home cooking/cleaning/etc. Also, the middle school age is tough.. almost too old for afterschool care, but too young to have out and about while at work. It feels safer having your kid at home with the xbox. Lots of parents drop their kids off at school because they are afraid to let them walk on their own and need to get to work.

I think that our overuse in corn production plays a huge part in the problem. The corn products are increasingly in our diets in places we are not even aware, like our sweeteners and our meat. Here are a few articles discussing this issue:

George F. Will - Corn as a Health Issue - washingtonpost.com

Health Reasons to Cut Back on Corn Consumption - US News and World Report

Industrial Corn-Destroying Our Health & Environment

Sarah Palin took a shot at Michelle Obama during Sunday's episode of her reality TV show, "Sarah Palin's Alaska," jabbing the first lady's anti-obesity campaign for attempting to deprive Americans of dessert.

While searching for s'mores ingredients on a family camping trip, Palin remarked:

"Where are the s'mores ingredients? This is in honor of Michelle Obama, who said the other day we should not have dessert."

Michelle Obama has been a key proponent of an initiative to improve children's health by encouraging better diets and sufficient exercise. In May she announced her "Let's Move" program, which promoted dessert alternatives, among other dietary suggestions.

The Associated Press reported at the time:

One in 3 American children is overweight or obese, putting them at higher risk of diabetes, high blood pressure, high cholesterol and other illnesses. Obesity is even more prevalent among black and Hispanic children. Some public health experts say today's children are on track to live shorter lives than their parents.

But Palin has maintained that Obama's effort to combat child obesity -- which was recently aided by the passage of the Healthy, Hunger-Free Kids Act -- is one that seeks to take away "God-given rights to make our own decisions." Some have since slammed that comment as Palin's demanding that Americans cling to their "God-Given right to be fat."

During an appearance on Laura Ingraham's radio program last month, Palin complained:

"Instead of a government thinking that they need to take over and make decisions for us according to some politician or politician's wife priorities, just leave us alone, get off our backs."

And CNN relays another incident in Pennsylvania last month, in which the former Alaska governor sought to criticize the first lady's health plan:

Palin also hand-delivered cookies to a Pennsylvania school last month before delivering a speech there, saying: "Who should be deciding what I eat? Should it be government or should it be parents? It should be the parents."

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom