The F$$d P$lice are C$ming

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I used to have a half-hour recess and about forty minutes of lunch time in the playground after a twenty minute eating portion of lunch.

This was in the early 90s in elementary school.

Pretty fucking sad the way things have gone. The fact is that suburban life has become the 15-foot walk to one's car, and the walk form the parking lot to the office. For most people, that ten-ish minutes of walking they get every weekday is the only physical activity they get besides masturbating and falling asleep on the couch after eating a pizza and watching The Daily Show.

Those arguments, and intents on proselytizing, are so stupid. My brother sent me a link recently taken by some PETA activists about a chicken farm that produces one of the biggest German meat manufacturers. It basically showed the real conditions for those chickens and then had snippets of some promotional video of the same company saying how well they are treating animals.
At the end of the video, it said something along the lines of only being vegan is the real way you can do it right.
That's all so stupid. If you want to change something, don't offer people to do the complete opposite from what they are used to. Ie., don't tell them to radically change their lifes. It's simply not going to work. Neither is trying to make them feel bad about how the live. Guilt is the worst driving factor ever. Such efforts lead to ignorance and resignation. Rather, tell them what they can do, without going completely out of their ways, to make a change to how things are going.
Vegetarians who are attacking you for eating meat and tell you what terrible kind of person you are, are the last to make you reconsider your habits, much more they lead people to say "Arrgh, those vegeterrorists! :mad:"

Vegetarians who are attacking you for eating meat and tell you what terrible kind of person you are, are the last to make you reconsider your habits, much more they lead people to say "Arrgh, those vegeterrorists! :mad:"

This

I keep telling the guy I was referencing, that if he wants to have anyone listen to what he's saying, learn some social skills. The way he's doing it now, he's actually causing more harm than good. It's kind of funny to read the responses to the stuff he posts. A lot of them are along the lines of "just because of this post, I'm going to eat an extra steak tonight" lol

Vegetarian or meat-eater, I do not care, whatever tastes good to you. Just respect each other's choices.

:yes: THIS. :up: I have been a vegetarian for two years. I don't try to "convert" anyone, and I don't think less of people who eat meat. But those who do should respect the fact that I don't. I've had so many people wave a piece a meat in my face and laugh. Well, it's not funny to me.

:yes: THIS. :up: I have been a vegetarian for two years. I don't try to "convert" anyone, and I don't think less of people who eat meat. But those who do should respect the fact that I don't. I've had so many people wave a piece a meat in my face and laugh. Well, it's not funny to me.

Yeah, that's pretty childish. I'd be irritated, too. Especially since you're not doing immature stuff like that to them.

I'd love for someone out there to name a time when being preachy on an issue has ever helped anything? If people are interested in changing their ways, they'll let you know. You'll never get anywhere trying to force people, and I want to be amongst people who are sincere in their beliefs, who aren't believing/supporting something because they feel they HAVE to.

Angela

I agree with Angela. That is very childish. Many people are on special diets. Some by choice, others because of medical reasons. I can't eat pasta or Italian foods. It turns right into sugar for me and I am at a high risk for Type 2 Diabetes due to a diabetic pregnancy and hereditary factors. My weight isn't one of them because it is normal for me.

I went to a buffet style resturant and after I ate what was good for me. I decided to have a small slice of cake. A woman looked at my plate and said "geez, what is wrong with you? A bigger piece won't make you fat." I just smiled and walked away. I didn't own her an explanation that two years ago I was borderline Type 2 Diabetes. I was able to bring the blood sugar down into the normal range without meds by healthy eating and exercise.

People should stop and think before they make rude comments to others. Many diabetics are thin or of a normal weight.

Iron Horse, do children in elementary school still have PE class? We did just about everyday and also recess. I know what you mean about not seeing kids playing outside. The ones who still ride their bikes, roller skate and etc. are skinny kids. I never planted my son in front of the TV when he was little. I took him outdoors and played with him. Running, soccer, playing catch, etc.

I see lots of morbidly obese young adults. And I'm not talking about muscular weight. I know athletes weigh more than the general population. But, these young ones are at very unhealty weights at least 100 lbs. or more than what is considered to be normal.

Thanks for the tip about soda. No wonder it doesn't taste as good as it did back in the day. I never drink it anymore.

I asked my doctor about Type 2 Diabetes with children. I told him. I had never heard of it until recently. He told me that when I was growing up, only Type 1 was found in children. Never Type 2 or high blood pressure either. These are middle age diseases and the later in life you get them. It is easier to control it. Especially for Type 2. Fifty year olds can usually bring their sugar levels back into the normal range with some dietary changes. Meds aren't always needed. I didn't need them. But, if you develope Type 2 at age 17. It's that many more years you have it and it does more damage to your body.

I used to have a half-hour recess and about forty minutes of lunch time in the playground after a twenty minute eating portion of lunch.

This was in the early 90s in elementary school.

Pretty fucking sad the way things have gone. The fact is that suburban life has become the 15-foot walk to one's car, and the walk form the parking lot to the office. For most people, that ten-ish minutes of walking they get every weekday is the only physical activity they get besides masturbating and falling asleep on the couch after eating a pizza and watching The Daily Show.

Your post is funny and true. I ate a slice of pizza, once in a while. When I was growing up. Then, it was back outside to play. Pizza was smaller than it is now. Today, they are huge!

that was a fucking dumb movie. i didn't need to watch a 90 minute doco to know that you would become very ill if you ate nothing but maccas for breakfast, lunch and tea for a month. who eats it that often? i'd be willing to bet no one.

not working for me!

Agreed. I don't see any problems in eating fastfood once or twice a month.

At the end of the day, no one's freedom of choice has been violated. End of story.

Unless you count the choice to sell toys together with unhealthy food.

People may find this a good idea (I don't really care one way or the other) but this is probably not going to solve the obesity problem.

And whatever happened to the responsibility of the parents?

Iron Horse, do children in elementary school still have PE class? We did just about everyday and also recess. I know what you mean about not seeing kids playing outside. The ones who still ride their bikes, roller skate and etc. are skinny kids. I never planted my son in front of the TV when he was little. I took him outdoors and played with him. Running, soccer, playing catch, etc.

I see lots children playing outside including my sister's kids. Sure, sometimes they're inside watching a dvd or playing on the computer, but that's basically no different from when I used to stay inside reading or making a puzzle. And when I was in the house for too long my mother kicked me out . :lol: Again it's a matter of parental responsibility.

For the record, not being good at sports, I absolutely hated PE and always getting picked last etc. To me it was an absolute waste of time and I skipped it the entire final year to go out to record stores.

I hated PE, too, for the same reason-not athletically inclined AT ALL.

That said, I think we certainly could use more of it in school, get kids some exercise every now and again (and we could quit banning games like tag and let kids freakin' run around at recess again and have FUN, too, that'd certainly help)

Angela

People should stop and think before they make rude comments to others. Many diabetics are thin or of a normal weight.

Yup, my Uncle was tall and relatively skinny. He managed his diabetes fairly well, but he had a bad heart, smoked and could not control his salt intake--so he died from a massive heart attack at 51 after a quintuple (yes 5) bypass in his mid-forties. You would have never known by looking at him.

Yeah, that's pretty childish. I'd be irritated, too. Especially since you're not doing immature stuff like that to them.

I agree with Angela. That is very childish. Many people are on special diets. Some by choice, others because of medical reasons.

I agree with both of you. I chose to be vegetarian because of my love for animals and what many of them go through to become meat. I can no longer stand the thought of eating them. Which is why it is not funny to me to see people wave meat in my face. To them it's just food. To me, it's murdered, probably tortured, dead animal. It's more than childish. It's bordering, if not, offensive.

I agree with both of you. I chose to be vegetarian because of my love for animals and what many of them go through to become meat. I can no longer stand the thought of eating them. Which is why it is not funny to me to see people wave meat in my face. To them it's just food. To me, it's murdered, probably tortured, dead animal. It's more than childish. It's bordering, if not, offensive.

I understand completely and in no way would I ever put you down for your feelings. When, I buy proteins, meats. I look for those where the animal has been slaughtered in a more human way.

I don't eat as half as much meat. As I use to. I fill my plate with plenty of fruit and veggies. Potatoes, cabbage are a fanatastic source of healthy carbs for me and I use only olive oil on my salad for the healthy fats. I love Irish oatmeal. It's just like the real oatmeal I ate as a kid. The kind that fills you up without all of those preservatives. There are days when I don't eat meat at all. But, I do like to fish, especially Tilapia since they are veggin fish. Much less mercury.

Yup, my Uncle was tall and relatively skinny. He managed his diabetes fairly well, but he had a bad heart, smoked and could not control his salt intake--so he died from a massive heart attack at 51 after a quintuple (yes 5) bypass in his mid-forties. You would have never known by looking at him.

Thank you for sharing this. I don't smoke now. But, I use to.

All of you young folks, please don't start smoking. It is very addictive. I know first hand how tough it is to quit. There is nothing "glamorous or rock star cool" about it. I gave it up. When, I noticed some breathing problems when trying to sleep on my back. Thankfully, I don't have anymore problems.

I wasn't Miss super jock in PE either. Especially with field hocky and lacrosse. I totally sucked at both. My point is, get children involved in playing what they like to play. Activity is the key. It could be dance, hide and seek or swimming and etc. You don't have to be super athletic. Just have fun.

I see lots children playing outside including my sister's kids. Sure, sometimes they're inside watching a dvd or playing on the computer, but that's basically no different from when I used to stay inside reading or making a puzzle. And when I was in the house for too long my mother kicked me out . :lol: Again it's a matter of parental responsibility.

For the record, not being good at sports, I absolutely hated PE and always getting picked last etc. To me it was an absolute waste of time and I skipped it the entire final year to go out to record stores.

So did my mom. She would say go outside and play. Of course, she didn't have a problem with my love of reading. She encouraged it. Working as a long term, substitute teacher. Mom always bought me all the books. I wanted. I still can't go into a book store and not purchase a couple of books. I buy more books than cds.

Thanks Anitram for the article. I do eat cheese on ocassion. But not a whole pizza pie full. A normal portion. Everything is about moderation and getting in on some exercise. I walk the two K to work, unless the weather is bad. Then, I take the public hybred bus.

I'm aware of the things anitram has raised, and I also fully admit to having waaaay too much dairy in my diet. I love it so and am so happy to not have a lactose intolerance.

I had required physical education classes from first grade through senior year of high school.

There weren't very many obese kids in my high school. And I went to high school in classic suburbia.

I eat terribly, I admit. A lot of food that's bad for me, not that much that's good for me. I also am fifteen to twenty pounds underweight. I play basketball every Sunday.

I had required physical education classes from first grade through senior year of high school.

ding.

take my salt, take my cheese... do what you want.

the number one problem with childhood obesity is not what we eat. it's what we do, or rather don't do.

should we worry about what foods we eat, and make sure we eat healthier? yes, of course. should there be higher taxes on products that are unhealthy? meh... i don't think so, but i can see the argument.

but the #1 thing that needs to be done is a drastic reworking of the physical education departments in our schools, starting from kindergarten all the way through high school.

this should be a national priority. we need to get our kids healthier and more active from the get go, so that by the time they graduate from high school and move on to adulthood staying active is second nature, not an afterthought.

I hated PE, too, for the same reason-not athletically inclined AT ALL.

That said, I think we certainly could use more of it in school, get kids some exercise every now and again (and we could quit banning games like tag and let kids freakin' run around at recess again and have FUN, too, that'd certainly help)

Angela

HUGE problem. we don't get our kids play tag and we've banned dodge ball, 'cause god forbid somebody gets their feelings hurt, or they get pushed too hard and scrape their knee, or break a bone.

when i go to my parents house i drive past the park where i spent endless hours playing... still have plenty of organized sports, football and baseball mostly, but very few kids just playing, if any at all.

that's another problem... we've gotten so obsessed with scholarships and money that kids specialize too early. a 4th grader is not a superstar at anything, and should not be playing just one sport.

we have 5th grade AAU basketball teams who travel the friggin nation year round playing tournaments, and scouts who's job is to rank the best 5th graders in the country. are you fucking nuts?

here...

Middle School Elite Top 20 National Player Rankings 5th Grade (Class of 2018) | Middle School Elite

those kids should be at the park playing by themselves without any adults making sure that nobody gets a boo boo. basketball, football, deck hockey, tag, kill the man with the ball... whatever.

i ate like shit as a kid. i was also incredibly active. i was in great shape my entire life, and only put weight on after college was over and i didn't have to go to 2 1/2 hours of practice every day anymore. alcohol, it's a bitch.

so yea... healthier choices for our diets? absolutely. but the key is getting our kids more active, diversifying the sports they play at a young age, and leaving them the hell alone. it's okay if they get a few bumps and bruises along the way. it happens. the alternative is a bunch of fat pansy asses.

yeah i don't get anywhere near as much exercise as i did five years ago, but i've noticed a change too... there aren't as many kids kicking a soccer ball on the footy oval near my joint, nor are there as many kids on the bike jumps as there was five years ago.

ding.

take my salt, take my cheese... do what you want.

the number one problem with childhood obesity is not what we eat. it's what we do, or rather don't do.

should we worry about what foods we eat, and make sure we eat healthier? yes, of course. should there be higher taxes on products that are unhealthy? meh... i don't think so, but i can see the argument.

but the #1 thing that needs to be done is a drastic reworking of the physical education departments in our schools, starting from kindergarten all the way through high school.

this should be a national priority. we need to get our kids healthier and more active from the get go, so that by the time they graduate from high school and move on to adulthood staying active is second nature, not an afterthought.

This is pretty much what I was trying to get at throughout the thread, only you said it a lot better :up:. Agreed on your other post, too.

Angela

The problem is that it costs money. School districts are trying to cut back on things. You're going to be hard pressed to find people trying to push for the added spending.

I do think the rise of organized children's sports has done some good things for girls, who in practice very often got shut out of all those neighborhood ball games (and not incidentally, the teamwork skills they foster) in the "good old days." Still, I do remember girls where I grew up playing tag, double-dutch, and "cheerleader" (handstands, backflips, cartwheels etc.) regularly; lots more physical activity than I see most kids of either sex engaging in today.

All three of our kids love pickup games of any kind, but they do often wind up playing with each other or with us, since so many of their friends either never "feel like it," or else get winded and give up quickly when they do. Even the kids in organized sports--which our daughter does, and which our oldest son used to do (he's more into running now)--quite a few of those kids, too, are surprisingly overweight these days, at least in my experience. And while neither of the high schools I attended had mandatory Phys Ed (actually, I guess one of them required a year of it, but otherwise it was elective), my impression was that most of my peers were glad for that at that age--often teenagers aren't keen on going to class all sweaty and flushed from gym, even if they look forward to after-school sports. So, I'm not really inclined to buy that expanded Phys Ed programs are the answer. Frankly, far too many kids simply snack waaaaaay too much, on high-calorie, low-nutrient foods at that--too much of an instant-gratification relationship with food (and, yes, this too is something I see quite clearly in several of our kids' friends). The point of encouraging physical activity shouldn't be to enable kids to eat all the crap they want without getting fat--after all, plenty of adults manage to stay trim and fit on only mild levels of physical activity, and there's no good reason why kids who aren't into sports can't do the same.

Last edited:
The problem is that it costs money. School districts are trying to cut back on things. You're going to be hard pressed to find people trying to push for the added spending.

Schools should really be the last things to cut back on spending

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom