The F$$d P$lice are C$ming

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
(AP)ATLANTA — As many as 1 in 3 U.S. adults could have diabetes by 2050, federal officials announced Friday in a dramatic new projection that represents a threefold increase.

The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention estimate that 1 in 10 have diabetes now, but the number could grow to 1 in 5 or even 1 in 3 by mid-century if current trends continue.

"This is alarming," said Ann Albright, director of the CDC's Division of Diabetes Translation.

The agency's projections have been a work in progress. The last revision put the number at 39 million in 2050. The new estimate takes it to the range of 76 million to 100 million.

An estimated 24 million Americans have diabetes currently.

The new CDC calculation accounts for people who have diabetes but are undiagnosed – a group that wasn't figured into earlier estimates, explained Edward W. Gregg, chief of the CDC branch that handles diabetes epidemiology and statistics.

Also, the researchers used new population growth estimates for the elderly and minorities, who have higher rates of Type 2 diabetes, he said.

One more factor: Diabetics are living longer, thanks to improvements in medical care, he added.

"Not all of the increase in prevalence is a bad thing," said Dr. Sue Kirkman, the American Diabetes Association's senior vice president of medical affairs and community information.

Diabetes is a disease in which the body has trouble processing sugar. It was the nation's seventh leading cause of death in 2007.

In the classic form of diabetes, traditionally diagnosed in children or young adults, the body does not produce enough of a hormone called insulin to help sugar get into cells. That's Type 1 diabetes.

Another form of diabetes, Type 2, now accounts for about 95 percent of cases. In that kind, the body's cells resist insulin's attempts to transport sugar. Type 2 is most common in people who are overweight and obese, in people 60 and older, and in African-Americans and other minority groups.

The growth in U.S. diabetes cases has been closely tied to escalating obesity rates. Recent CDC data suggests obesity rates may have recently leveled off. But the new estimates should hold up even if obesity rates remain static, CDC officials said.

The CDC is the main source for national disease statistics, and the agency seems to have done a thoughtful job in putting together these latest projections, Kirkman said. Still, she acknowledged being a little startled by the size of the new numbers.

"The magnitude is a bit surprising. But the trend is not" she said.

The new estimates were published online Friday by the journal Population Health Metrics.

My family history is chock full of diabetics. So that article just adds to my concern about my chances :|.

Though it is comforting to hear the lifespan for diabetics is getting longer. Hopefully by the time 2050 (in which I will be 66 years old...wow) rolls around we'll have found a cure for the disease and will be able to nip the problem right in the bud.

Angela

My family history is chock full of diabetics. So that article just adds to my concern about my chances :|.

If it's type 1 you have genetic chances that diet and exercise can do nothing about. I don't believe type 2 is genetically linked at all. Maybe I'm wrong about that but I don't think so. Type 1 is in my family and I am still careful to watch myself as far as type 2 is concerned. That's all we can really do :)

Type 2 can be genetically linked. At least it was for me.

I had a high risk, diabetic pregnancy at age 27, I was very slender, not overweight at all.

I had problems with low blood sugar. Since my mid-teens. It would suddenly "bottom out." I would go onto shock. My blood sugar would drop below forty and put me in the hospital. 80 to 110 in normal for fasting levels. They first thought I was Type 1. But, I wasn't.

I was told during my high risk pregnancy. I would develope type 2. By the age of thirty.

I beat the odds. Was diagnosed at age fifty with pre-type 2 and I have never been obese. Aways athletic, eating healthy foods. It does run in my family. My mom had diabetic pregancies. Both of my sisters have low blood sugar issues as children. These are the "red flags" as my Dr. calls it. i have evey high risk factor except for obesity and being Africian American.

I was looking on picking this up :up:

As for meat itself, it's fucking delicious. I don't ever see myself being able to go a week in my domestic day-to-day without a good porkchop or piece of chicken, despite my lazy tendencies to go for the peanut butter sandwich as a single, lazy man.

Has meat been banned yet?

I gave up red meat over 12 years ago. I was told at 23 my cholesterol was too high and it was probably hereditary because given my age and shape there was no way it could be this high. The doctor said I can try and change my diet but didn't think that would be enough. I've only had one spike since then and never had to go on medication.

I'll eat seafood and poultry. Haven't missed it, the first few months are hard, but after that it's pretty easy. The hardest part is that we're such a red meat culture some gatherings or even restaurants it's hard to find a likeable meal. You really start to notice it, I remember going to a backyard rehearsal dinner one time and only being able to eat bread and potato salad, and I hate potato salad. Every side including the cheese dip had some kind of red meat it in.

I've been off all meat except sea food for the last 2 and a half years. It's pretty easy for me. I had cut out seafood for the first little while, but felt like I was losing a bit of muscle, so I made a compromise.
It's mostly for ethical reasons, so even if I smell some delicious bacon or a steak, it's easy to not be too tempted. But I refuse to refer to myself as a vegetarian (or more precisely, a pescetarian), because I can't stand most of the people who do the same. I have a few vegetarian/vegan friends and they can be the pushiest, most self righteous people on the earth.

I've been off all meat except sea food for the last 2 and a half years. It's pretty easy for me. I had cut out seafood for the first little while, but felt like I was losing a bit of muscle, so I made a compromise.

I would do this if I lived in a coastal city. I grew up in such a place.

The seafood in Toronto leaves a lot to be desired, as does anyplace where you have to import it from a great distance.

I would do this if I lived in a coastal city. I grew up in such a place.

The seafood in Toronto leaves a lot to be desired, as does anyplace where you have to import it from a great distance.

Toronto has lots of good sushi places, so it suits me just fine
nom nom nom

love meat.
familylovemichael.jpg

Amazon.com: Eating Animals (9780316069885): Jonathan Safran Foer: Books: Reviews, Prices & more

I'm currently reading this book, given to me by a friend. It's a very interesting take on our consumption of meat and the treatment of animals in the process. 99% of all meat in the US comes from factory farming, and it doesn't look much different in most of industrialised countries.
I'm not going to go vegetarian, but for a while now I'm trying to cut down on my consumption of meat and fish. It's not that easy when you are pretty much used to having each dinner combined with some kind of meat. I'd go to the supermarket and think "Rice, vegetables and...", "Potatoes, vegetables and...". I can't eat pasta everyday. So I keep trying.

It's a very good read on the topic.

I allow myself one steak or burger per month, usually it's a steak because of a client dinner or something. That's all the red meat I eat, and often I don't even do that. It is amazing that the less meat you eat, the less good it tastes and smells over time. I still have powerful protein cravings from time to time, though, and beans just don't cut it sometimes. I'm buying packs of organic chicken breasts from Costco lately. $5.99 per pound is a damn good price for organic chicken.

I'm not terribly concerned about the animal-ethics regarding meat (although sexy PETA ads are always welcome). I am most concerned about the environmental consequences of eating meat, but that is a fair concern for farming in general.
There are too many of us in industrialized countries, and we eat and waste too much. Yes, there is the carbon aspect to all of this, but the water-use issue is probably a more pressing concern at this time.

It was interesting to see how meaningless the term 'organic' is to the US standard. Yes, it is usually healthier as no pesticides, antibiotics etc. are used in the process, and it might be more ecological, but if you are someone who also cares about, and wants to pay premium for, the welfare of the animal, neither organic nor free-range or anything like that will guarantee that the conditions for the animal will have been what you imagine.
For example, one criterion for organic, as well as free-range, is "access to the outdoors". Excess to the outdoors, however, just means that in principle, or, theoratically, there must be a way outside for the animals. So if you have a huge barn with tens of thousands of chickens, and on one side there is a small gap outside, leaving access to a one square-foot pit, that is "access to the outdoors".
Similar with cage free. It just means the chickens are not in small boxes, but the conditions are virtually the same.
Source: Eating Animals, so shoot the author if it's not correct. ;)

"Organic" seems to be mostly a buzzword in North America. An excuse for a grocery store to have a small section with faux wood flooring and green signage to push pricey versions of everyday products. Has to be backed up with stronger regulation.

I go organic mainly for the (supposed) lack of pesticides, hormones, drugs, etc.

Like I said, I am eating complex lifeform that was killed for me--animal rights are secondary for me.

I used to work with a guy who raised free-range Texas Longhorns. He kinda treated them like shit, but they were free to run away from him within his fenced property. :shrug:

I am serious. and I have had sushi elsewhere, but if you mean Japan, then no. But I think you're being a sushi snob. Have you been to Sushi Marche? It's delicious. There are so many Sushi places that surely you could concede that there must be some good ones. All you have to do is look for them

"Organic" seems to be mostly a buzzword in North America. An excuse for a grocery store to have a small section with faux wood flooring and green signage to push pricey versions of everyday products. Has to be backed up with stronger regulation.
exactly. there's so much wrong with the usda and how they regulate things like organic foods, free range, and hfcs. like you said, it's only a sticker they put on a head of lettuce. free range just means the chicken has access to the outdoors.

Some CSA farmers raise and slaughter meat (poultry, beef etc.) for their shareholders. This is a new thing though, and I doubt it'll catch on as well as produce-only CSAs have, not least since so few people nowadays seem to know what to do with meat that isn't already dismembered, boned, skinned and whatnot.

I am serious. and I have had sushi elsewhere, but if you mean Japan, then no. But I think you're being a sushi snob. Have you been to Sushi Marche? It's delicious. There are so many Sushi places that surely you could concede that there must be some good ones. All you have to do is look for them
I haven't been further west than Toronto, but you talk with someone even as (relatively) close as Vancouver and they seem depressed and saddened by the quality of seafood in Ontario and Quebec.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom