The F$$d P$lice are C$ming - Page 8 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 03-27-2010, 06:27 PM   #141
Refugee

Local Time: 09:02 PM
I'm not sure about cinnamon. I'm sure it wouldn't hurt. But, by eating a product made with real sugar. It satisfies my cravings and I eat much less of it. Than the synthetic stuff. I want to thank the poster from a few pages back. In regards to Kosher sodas. Jewish foods are healthier.

Old 03-28-2010, 02:03 AM   #142
Paper Gods
Forum Administrator

Local Time: 03:02 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by A stor View Post
I'm not sure about cinnamon. I'm sure it wouldn't hurt. But, by eating a product made with real sugar. It satisfies my cravings and I eat much less of it. Than the synthetic stuff. I want to thank the poster from a few pages back. In regards to Kosher sodas. Jewish foods are healthier.
that was me, and no problem.

i'm honestly just curious though and do not mean any offense, but why do you type like this?

Old 10-07-2010, 10:44 PM   #143
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Local Time: 05:02 PM
NYC King of the Food Police

NY seeks to ban sugary drinks from food stamp buys - Forbes.com

I'm a bit weary of the NYC's mayor's intrusion on personal choices and freedom.

Sugary drinks?
Why not a ban on high fructose corn syrup?
Old 10-07-2010, 10:52 PM   #144
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 04:02 PM
When it's the state's money you don't think they should have a say?

When the bank lends you money they often tell ask first what you're going to spend it on, should they not be allowed?

BTW, are you ever going come back to the GOP thread and post a link that shows where the Federal Government banned butter? Or are you just railing against a lie?
Old 10-07-2010, 11:26 PM   #145
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 02:02 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by the iron horse View Post
I'm a bit weary of the NYC's mayor's intrusion on personal choices and freedom.

I'm excited to see that you support personal choices.
Old 10-08-2010, 08:54 AM   #146
Blue Crack Addict

I'm all for personal choice but I guess I don't see the harm. I guess I don't really care.... There are already other programs like WIC where you can only get certain items.
Old 10-08-2010, 09:56 AM   #147
has a

I can't believe you can buy sugary stuff with food stamps in NY.
You should see the restrictions for food stamps here in Minnesota--pretty tight, and we produce a lot of sugar and HFCS for the processed food shit.

It seems to not matter though, standing behind people in the grocery store using their subsidy card, the cash always comes out for the soda, chips and cigarettes anyway.

Ban away NY.
Old 10-08-2010, 07:17 PM   #148
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 10:02 PM
Bloomie is one of these reformed smoker types, they often tend to become health fanatics.

Good guy otherwise.
Old 10-08-2010, 08:13 PM   #149
Rock n' Roll Doggie

BVS asked

BTW, are you ever going come back to the GOP thread and post a link that shows where the Federal Government banned butter? Or are you just railing against a lie?

I said that the federal regulations banned butter from being used in public school lunch programs. They can use magarine.

On our menus at school in small print at the bottom it states that federal
law prohibits carbonated drinks in the cafeteria.

No need to fear though, the kids are drinking milk and using salad dressings sweetened with HFTCS.

All of this is nonsense.

The major reason so many students are obese is lack of physical activity.
Recess has just about been eliminated in most schools and a lot of time in gym classes is spent just standing around.

Thirty years ago kids were a lot more active.
Drinking whole milk at school and sodas sweetened with cane sugar.
Very few were obese.

A lot of student's time is now spent in front of a TV or a computer screen.

Making the right choices in eating healthy is good, but I don't think the obesity problem can be solved by simply banning certain food items.

We all need to move more!

PepsiCo introduced Sierra Mist Natural a few weeks ago.
It's the first soda offered by a major soda company, since the early
1980s, that does not use HFTCS.
Old 10-08-2010, 09:32 PM   #150
has a

Quote:
BVS asked

I said that the federal regulations banned butter from being used in public school lunch programs. They can use magarine.

No need to fear though, the kids are drinking milk and using salad dressings sweetened with HFTCS.

All of this is nonsense.

Recess has just about been eliminated in most schools and a lot of time in gym classes is spent just standing around.

Very few were obese.

Making the right choices in eating healthy is good, but I don't think the obesity problem can be solved by simply banning certain food items.

Can't disagree with the lack of activity. I think of the one "fat" kid in my elementary class growing up (1977-1986), and she wouldn't even register these days.

You can't count out some of the insulin studies about HFCS though. Is it the reason kids are fat? Kind of. Is it a bad idea to avoid it? Not at all.

We've had "Retro" Pepsi, Mt. Dew and Dr. Pepper around for about the last year. It's amazing how different and better it tastes. I don't really drink soda anymore, but it was nice to try the "old" stuff.
Old 10-08-2010, 09:38 PM   #151
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 10:02 AM
i don't see any link between hfcs in drinks and obesity. we use actual sugar in our drinks and our obesity rates are right up there with the united states.

at least we're fattening ourselves up on shit that tastes good.
Old 10-08-2010, 09:44 PM   #152
has a

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolian2 View Post
i don't see any link between hfcs in drinks and obesity. we use actual sugar in our drinks and our obesity rates are right up there with the united states.

It's all the good cheese on your Lamburgers.

Old 10-08-2010, 09:59 PM   #153
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolian2 View Post

If you do some research online, you can find a spike in the rate of obesity with the introduction of HFTCS in foods.

It's not only in most sodas, but in most breads and a ton of other food products.
Old 10-08-2010, 10:04 PM   #154
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 10:02 AM
Quote:
If you do some research online, you can find a spike in the rate of obesity with the introduction of HFTCS in foods.

It's not only in most sodas, but in most breads and a ton of other food products.
same point, different food product.
Old 10-09-2010, 03:22 AM   #155
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 07:02 AM
Quote:

Causation versus correlation; there is an important difference.

I question why you take issue with this when it's public funds being given as welfare. As a libertarian don't you have an issue with people wasting taxpayers money on non-essentials like soft drinks?
Old 10-09-2010, 08:49 AM   #156
ONE
love, blood, life

For folks on food stamps in the inner city, it's often cheaper to buy unhealthy/junk food to feed their fat, diabetic kids than it is to make healthy nutritional choices at the supermarket.

Do these fattys also need to get out on the court a bit more and play less XBox? Aboslutely.

This food stamp change is only one small step. The real battle is getting decent, healthy, fresh produce and meat in the poor neighbourhoods.

Can America's Urban Food Deserts Bloom? - TIME
Old 10-09-2010, 09:33 AM   #157
has a

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canadiens1131 View Post
This food stamp change is only one small step. The real battle is getting decent, healthy, fresh produce and meat in the poor neighbourhoods.

Can America's Urban Food Deserts Bloom? - TIME
I just heard a story about this on public radio. There just are not enough grocery stores inside cities. That's part of the reason you see so many corner bodegas--so not only is junk food more accessible, it's more expensive than a regular grocery, too.

Target is doing something about this. Many of their stores (all in the U.S. soon?) are starting to carry a limited amount of fresh meat and produce.

The other thing that drives me crazy is the quality of the produce in grocery stores. I usually shop in my rather urban grocery stores, but sometimes I go out to the suburbs while shopping. Almost without variation, suburban grocery stores of the same chain have fresher, better-looking produce the the urban ones.

Old 10-09-2010, 01:02 PM   #158
Refugee

Local Time: 09:02 PM
Quote:
BVS asked

All of this is nonsense.

Very few were obese.

Iron Horse,

I think you have brought up a great point. It was very unusual for a kid to be morbidly obese when I was growing up. We drank whole milk, 2% didn't exist yet and we used butter. We played outside burning off those calories. We ate home cooked meals. There were very few fast food resturants back then. We drank soda but not everyday, since it was a treat. Fresh fruit were our snacks, not fries and a double whopper.

Dr.s are seeing teenagers with Type 2 Diabetes and High Blood Pressure. These are middle age diseases. Thirty, forty years ago, this was never heard of. Children of course could be Type 1 Diabetic or have low blood sugar. But, Type 2, never.

I developed Pre-Type 2 Diabetes at age fifty. Due to pre-menopause, hereditary factors and a diabetic pregnancy. I controll by blood sugar levels with diet and exercise, plus I mantain a healthy weight. No meds were needed and my sugar levels have returned to normal.
Old 10-09-2010, 01:35 PM   #159
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 10:02 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by A_Wanderer View Post
Causation versus correlation; there is an important difference.

I question why you take issue with this when it's public funds being given as welfare. As a libertarian don't you have an issue with people wasting taxpayers money on non-essentials like soft drinks?
Plus there's the argument that it's our car dependent lifestyles that lead to obesity.

Governments investing in public transport, particularly rail, is good for the health of the populace as at least people will walk to the nearest train station instead of just getting into their cars - which presumably a true libertarian like Iron Horse opposes, as government must not be spending taxpayers money on such frivolous non-essentials as a good railway system.
Old 10-09-2010, 02:00 PM   #160
has a

Quote:
Originally Posted by A stor View Post
Iron Horse,

I think you have brought up a great point. It was very unusual for a kid to be morbidly obese when I was growing up. We drank whole milk, 2% didn't exist yet and we used butter. We played outside burning off those calories. We ate home cooked meals. There were very few fast food resturants back then. We drank soda but not everyday, since it was a treat. Fresh fruit were our snacks, not fries and a double whopper.
Growing up, Saturday night was pizza night (which half of the time we made ourselves, the other half was split between frozen or take-out), and starting when I was 10 or 12, we got to ration 2 sodas for the weekend.

McDonald's was reserved for special occasions or long shopping trips (so once about every 2-3 weeks).

But, I ate PB&Js like crazy matched only by the gallons of milk to down them. Grape juice and apple cider ran through my veins as much as milk did. And, I swear my brother and I would just split a box of cereal every morning, using mixing bowls instead of regular bowls.
However, I played outside by myself or with neighbor kids every nice day, and I played soccer from the age of 5 up to high school. I was always in very good shape.

Now, my nephews get winded climbing stairs.