The F$$d P$lice are C$ming

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
No concern about high fructose corn syrup.

No mention of lack of physical activity.

Do a search on the increase of obesity since the early 80's
since the intoduction of HFCS.

Free recess in schools where kid can run and play?

Try to find a school that allows this for more than twenty
minutes a day.

Another stupid big government demand that will do nothing.
Goodbye, high-fat chips: New rules for school snacks

Another stupid big government demand that will do nothing.
Goodbye, high-fat chips: New rules for school snacks

I really don't see how that would work. Because healthier foods may be considered "uncool", few high schoolers wouldn't want to be caught dead getting fruit or veggies from the vending machine. If kids do get around to snacking on healthy foods, it will be a while.

Obesity is a problem, there's no denying that. But it will take a lot to tackle the issue. There are some people who eat nonstop due to emotional problems, and there are plenty who are in complete denial that their morbid obesity is hurting them. Obesity is like smoking or heavy drinking, it should be addressed almost the same way.

Free recess in schools where kid can run and play?

Try to find a school that allows this for more than twenty
minutes a day.

You really don't have that in the US?

When I went to elementary school (in Toronto), we would have 2x15 min free recess (one in the morning and one in the afternoon) and a 60 minute lunch, the last 30 mins of which was a free recess. Always outdoors unless it went to -15Celsius, then they'd shorten the lunch one to 15 mins. But altogether that was an hour outside in a pretty crappy climate.

We had recess when I was in elementary school. And gym, though by the time I got to high school in one of the towns I lived in they only had you taking it for one semester. I hated gym class, but I think it should be a full school year type thing.

I think a lot of schools still do recess-correct me if I'm wrong on that, though. From what I've heard, some schools are much more touchy about what kids can do when they're outside now, though-tag is seen as "too dangerous" and some schools have weird "no touching/hugging" rules (we're talking, like, kids can't even give their friends a quick hug). So maybe that's a factor. I definitely agree that any schools that have cut down on any chance for kids to get any physical exercise are only contributing to the obesity problem-they want to change their menus to be healthier, that's fine, but they have to do a bit more than that as well. Kids need to get out and get some fresh air and all that good stuff.

anitram said:
You really don't have that in the US?

When I went to elementary school (in Toronto), we would have 2x15 min free recess (one in the morning and one in the afternoon) and a 60 minute lunch, the last 30 mins of which was a free recess. Always outdoors unless it went to -15Celsius, then they'd shorten the lunch one to 15 mins. But altogether that was an hour outside in a pretty crappy climate.

Ya man. That's how we did it too

Looks like the food police are after Chris Christie again. Healthiest fat guy in America.

I agree with him about that White House doctor, don't think she had any business saying those things on tv. She's not his doctor, and he does have kids. It's crazy to me if his cholesterol, bp, and blood sugar are really all at healthy levels. But like he said, his doctor has told him that his time is running out. He knows he has a problem and has to do something about it.

Talking White Bread Disaster Blues; Is it True?

Pilgrims, I’m as serious as a sliced vine ripe tomato, Duke’s mayonnaise, salt and pepper, between two slices of white bread. I’m almost heartbroken to tell you this; something dastardly has been done to our beloved white bread. I started to notice the change last year. Our usual brand just didn’t look white anymore. It seemed to have more air pockets on the surface and had a rougher different taste. Unlike the soft and creamy taste I associate with white bread.

After that initial discovery we bought other brands. They all seemed to be different. I looked at the ingredients. I don’t know half of what the ingredients are; the only one I think might be the culprit is barley malt. Is this the devil that has been added to the recipe?

Have you noticed this change or is it just me? Have my eyes grown dim, my taste buds dull? Please comment if you haven’t or have. I hope I’m wrong about this! If I’m wrong please forgive my rant. My stupidity! Wasting your time.

But you agree, please help spread this shocking discovery. Share it, tweet, email, copy and pastes, tell your friends, write the local papers, call talk radio, contact your congressman. Whatever! This must be rectified! We must demand our beloved white bread be restored to its former glory.

Don’t believe the phony propaganda of recent years that have demonized white bread. Do a Google search and find the truth.

During the 20th century we were powered by enriched fortified white bread. We grew, fought and won two world wars, we prospered.

Let us raise the flag, fight, and shout, do not tread on our white bread!

Pilgrims, I’m as serious as a sliced vine ripe tomato, Duke’s mayonnaise, salt and pepper, between two slices of white bread. I’m almost heartbroken to tell you this; something dastardly has been done to our beloved white bread. I started to notice the change last year. Our usual brand just didn’t look white anymore. It seemed to have more air pockets on the surface and had a rougher different taste. Unlike the soft and creamy taste I associate with white bread.

After that initial discovery we bought other brands. They all seemed to be different. I looked at the ingredients. I don’t know half of what the ingredients are; the only one I think might be the culprit is barley malt. Is this the devil that has been added to the recipe?

Have you noticed this change or is it just me? Have my eyes grown dim, my taste buds dull? Please comment if you haven’t or have. I hope I’m wrong about this! If I’m wrong please forgive my rant. My stupidity! Wasting your time.

But you agree, please help spread this shocking discovery. Share it, tweet, email, copy and pastes, tell your friends, write the local papers, call talk radio, contact your congressman. Whatever! This must be rectified! We must demand our beloved white bread be restored to its former glory.

Don’t believe the phony propaganda of recent years that have demonized white bread. Do a Google search and find the truth.

During the 20th century we were powered by enriched fortified white bread. We grew, fought and won two world wars, we prospered.

Let us raise the flag, fight, and shout, do not tread on our white bread!

Well white bread sucks, always has, but I've noticed that the wheat sliced bread that I buy these days has a much longer shelf life than it used to, which makes me suspicious.

:lol: What the heck?

I don't eat white bread anyway, but I have in the past and it always was the same to me. Never noticed a difference. Then again bakers aren't allowed to put many chemicals in the bread here.

Iron Horse, are those your words or were they copied and pasted from another source?

Either way, I can't help but think conspiracy theory when I read that post.

Iron Horse, are those your words or were they copied and pasted from another source?

Either way, I can't help but think conspiracy theory when I read that post.

When I c/p I quote the author or source. Those are my words.
When it's my writing I might start putting my initials M.C.
from now on.

Several people on Face Book replied that something about white bread now is not the same. We're thinking conspiracy.

I haven't eaten white bread since junior high. I started eating potato bread around then, and now I eat whole wheat bread. I stopped eating regular, or "white" pasta a few years ago, and now I eat only wheat or whole grain pasta. This is because Weight Watchers said wheat or grains are more easier to digest than white carbs, and I can attest that it is true. I lost a lot of weight when I made the switch and I avoid white carbs as much as possible. Because of my experience, I doubt very much there is a conspiracy going around, and any suggestion about "propaganda" against white bread and other white carbs just makes me roll my eyes. So no, I am not going to alert anyone about this fear.

I haven't eaten white bread since junior high. I started eating potato bread around then, and now I eat whole wheat bread. I stopped eating regular, or "white" pasta a few years ago, and now I eat only wheat or whole grain pasta. This is because Weight Watchers said wheat or grains are more easier to digest than white carbs, and I can attest that it is true. I lost a lot of weight when I made the switch and I avoid white carbs as much as possible. Because of my experience, I doubt very much there is a conspiracy going around, and any suggestion about "propaganda" against white bread and other white carbs just makes me roll my eyes. So no, I am not going to alert anyone about this fear.

I understand that. I have family and friends who eat only whole wheat. I once worked with a teacher who could only eat gluten free food. She had a severe allergy.
And concerning my own writing: I will sign Michael, not M.C. Michael's my first name.

Please do some research on the history of racism towards African-Americans in this country, and you'll have your answer.

Although, I would be concerned about how you conduct this research....

I live in the South. I am very aware of racism towards blacks in our country.
I spent my childhood raised around blacks. My father preached in black
churches in the 1950s. Both my parents work and our baby sitter was
black and she had my parents permission to use a switch on me and
she did a couple of times. I was never taught by my parents to
judge people by the color of their skin. Never.

She died a few years ago and I attended her funeral. My son once dated a black girl. No problem.

My problem is that many in the South like those foods. I'm not excusing
the stereotypes from the past but it is silly to start preventing certain foods
from being used because of these past sins. I would understand if it was Islam Month you should not have pork or alcohol.

This is silly and only perpetuates the stereotype.

Pass the watermelon and salt please....:applaud:

I live in the South. I am very aware of racism towards blacks in our country.
I spent my childhood raised around blacks. My father preached in black
churches in the 1950s. Both my parents work and our baby sitter was
black and she had my parents permission to use a switch on me and
she did a couple of times. I was never taught by my parents to
judge people by the color of their skin. Never.

She died a few years ago and I attended her funeral. My son once dated a black girl. No problem.

from being used because of these past sins. I would understand if it was Islam Month you should not have pork or alcohol.

But these food items have been, and still are, being used negatively towards African-Americans. You may say you're not racist, but you could be a little more sensitive.

No one is preventing these foods, it was about the pairing of this month and the racist stereotypes.

potato bread .

YES! That is some great stuff.

Also echo the stuff about white bread. I cut out white bread a while back (mostly anyway, can't always avoid pizza) and it helped my diet.

I lost about 30 pounds in about 5 months and (more importantly) have managed to keep it off through the holidays/winter. I also stopped drinking Dr. Pepper (and avoid HFCS as much as possible) and went to Diet. Stopped eating potato chips (that was #1 vice, really hard!) and switched from white to wheat.

All of that said, I still eat white pasta. Gonna be hard to give that up.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom