The F$$d P$lice are C$ming

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Is this bacon trend over yet?

yes. your city -- Ground Zero for these kind of anti-hipster hipster trends -- declared it dead back in 2009:

For a while, loving bacon was the anti-foodie food trend: snobbery (what, you don't like BACON? I guess you've never had the good stuff) disguised as egalitarianism (everyone can afford it; everyone loves it). Ostentatiously declaring one's love for, and consuming large quantities of, bacon (and its partner-in-trend, pork belly) became a sign of joie de vivre, an indication that you were spontaneous, fun, up for anything. Suggesting that a battered, deep-fried, bacon-wrapped bacon sandwich might not be the subtlest or most enjoyable food experience, conversely, meant you were a killjoy. And suggesting that massive bacon consumption might have health implications made you a food Nazi—one step up from a granola eater or, worse, a vegan.

Thankfully, baconmania has almost run its course. Trends inevitably go through their phases—early adoption, buzz, general excitement, overexposure—and bacon is in its terminal stage, clinging to relevance, grasping at any opportunity to cash in on its dwindling cachet as its 15 minutes come to an end. (Swine flu is not transmitted via pork consumption, though it doesn't make it sound very appetizing.)

The End of Baconmania by Erica C. Barnett - Seattle Food & Drink - The Stranger, Seattle's Only Newspaper

i myself haven't touched pork belly since the summer of 2010.

i suppose it's time for all of us now to move on and douse our popcorn with virgin coconut oil.

someone please let me know when this cupcake trend is dead and buried.

i much prefer the (GLUTEN FREE) French macaroon trend.

If you're going to be properly elitist, then at least spell it macaron.

I remember seeing an episode of Iron Chef once (the Japanese one) where the theme ingredient was some kind of pork and the Iron Chef made an ice cream out of it for his dessert course. One of the judges giggled, in breathless-prepubescent-girl overdub, "I was afraid this would be too strong. But you have endeavored well to preserve the subtle taste" or something like that. That show was a hoot.

What the French call a 'macaron' is usually a sandwich cookie. But the names are related, and all cookies by that name(s) do have in common being based on ground nuts and egg whites.

I think they're different

The thing the French eat are macarons. The thing Americans eat are macaroons. But since Irvine said he like the French ones, I'd think he meant macarons. (Which are amazing, BTW.)

From my last trip to Paris:

40796_902301958061_58015847_52644932_8031417_n.jpg

I've seen it spelled both ways. :shrug:

But, yes, I was talking about the French macaron, but I greatly enjoy macaroons.

My 10th anniversary is coming up at work (holy shit, ten years, when the hell did I gain a career???), and instead of a cake, I asked for macarons from a bakery we often use for cakes and the like.

There weren't prices on the menu though, so hopefully it won't turn out they're way more expensive than a cake. Because that would rule to have those.

I don't like macaroons. I once had a bag of them hit me in the balls at a party

is it wrong that i want to try the bacon milkshake? i sure as hell don't want a whole one, if i could get a shot glass of it or so, that'd be nifty. i love milkshakes but even the small sizes tend to be way too much. not to mention i only like them from places where you get them made with actual ice cream, which usually means no fast food places (though i'd make an exception to try a bacon one).

but yes, i don't get everyone's obsession with bacon. i like bacon, it's delicious when it's nice and crispy. but i could easily go a year without having it and be fine. i'm hardly the healthiest person but i try to avoid eating it because lord knows even doing that has to help.

Macaroons are a little cookie with coconut flavoring, if I remember correctly. At least the ones I ate growing up were.

I've never had a "macaron," but from what I understand, they're otherwise ordinary "macaroons" sandwiched together with (usually) flavored buttercream that complements whatever extract or spice the cookies are flavored with.

The tendency to equate "macaroons" with coconut is a new thing--the classic American macaroon is actually almond, but nowadays that kind is more likely to be called by its Italian name, amaretti. They can be and are made with all kinds of nuts, though. (Trivia: the White House still serves Thomas Jefferson's own handwritten recipe (in French and English) for "macarons"--i.e. almond macaroons/amaretti--to guests; he personally collected the recipe in Paris, long before the sandwich type was invented.)

Macaroons, all types, are a staple in Jewish homes at Passover. When she could afford pistachios, my mother used to make them with pistachios and orange flower water. That's my favorite of the kinds I've tried.

the iron horse said:
The candy bar, Snickers, will soon be discontinued in a king size
version and the regular bar will also be reduced in size.

The Mars Candy Company bows to the Nanny State and the Food Police.

Snickers.com

They bowed to the nanny state? Where's your evidence that they did this because of government?

or it could be that because people are more concerned about calories they will be more likely to buy a bar if they perceive it to be fewer calories.

that's likely the case.

your best friends the corporations never do anything that they don't believe will increase their bottom line.

Ha, for a moment there I thought the story was going to be about Snickers being discontinued altogether. I was about to go, "No!" :p.

I usually never get the king-size version of a candy bar anyway, so no loss there-it often seems the smaller versions of a candy bar tend to taste better, in my opinion. But yes, Irvine is right, "smaller" doesn't automatically mean "less calories", either.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom