The F$$d P$lice are C$ming

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I just posted my thoughts on popcorn and why
it taste better popped in coconut oil.

I'm not the one stuck in time. (or an ideology)

I'm ready to read anything you have to say or link to post
on raw milk or high fructose corn syrup.

Please do.

I'm just trying to understand you, my friend. I find you are actually quite consistent in your posts and viewpoints, and that's the consistency that I've observed. Am I wrong? What's a "modern" thing that you feel is good? What is an "old-timey" thing that you think we're all better off without?

What on earth is wrong with olive oil?

To be fair, I made that part up.

But, interestingly the point has yet to be "refudiated" ;)

I'm just trying to understand you, my friend. I find you are actually quite consistent in your posts and viewpoints, and that's the consistency that I've observed. Am I wrong? What's a "modern" thing that you feel is good? What is an "old-timey" thing that you think we're all better off without?

To be fair, I made that part up.

But, interestingly the point has yet to be "refudiated" ;)

What point do I need to address?

What did I miss?

What point do I need to address?

What did I miss?

Oh, I was just being lazy and threw in "olive oil" as an example of a modern food trend that I would presume you would find "distasteful" (no pun intended).

I'm sure you have no problem with olive oil.

RIP pink slime

McDonald's stops using 'pink slime' for burgers

NEW YORK (CNN) - McDonald's announced it will no longer use a food additive some call "pink slime" its burgers.

The filler is made from spare beef trimmings that are treated with ammonium hydroxide to kill any bacteria.

The material has come under fire in newspapers and in a major documentary, and celebrity chef Jamie Oliver campaigned hard against it on his TV show.

McDonald's says its decision was not based on any particular event.

The U.S. Department of Agriculture says the use of ammoniated beef trimmings is safe.

Two other major fast food chains have also reportedly stopped using it.

I don't eat McDonald's burgers and am not quite sure what Jamie Oliver's, erm, beef with "pink slime" is, but if nothing else it'll make for a better-quality burger to eliminate fillers/extenders like that.

Change of topic here...what's the deal with the suddenly huge market for gluten-free stuff these days? I stopped by the grocery on my way home to pick up some rice flour for a Chinese dessert, and as I located the box I was noticing, Scheez, they've got a whole half-aisle of gluten-free pasta/crackers/bread/cookies/etc. here now. It can't be a 'low-carb' thing because none of this stuff's low in carbs, it's just made with starches other than wheat. And there can't be this many people with allergies or celiac disease! Why is this trendy?

I thought that you were a libertarian?

I'd think you'd support people having free choice to eat whatever they want. If gluten-free then so be it.

I had mononucleosis recently and was scared shitless by horror stories of people developing gluten allergies from it. Thankfully, six weeks of sobriety and no physical labor was all I needed.

i don't know that i have an allergy, but i really don't seem to digest wheat too well. i feel better without it, or when the only wheat i consume is the less healthy white flour like in white bread or pasta. eating, say, wheat berries make me feel terrible.

some people think that wheat has been so genetically modified that our bodies can't process it like we did 50 years ago.

Change of topic here...what's the deal with the suddenly huge market for gluten-free stuff these days? I stopped by the grocery on my way home to pick up some rice flour for a Chinese dessert, and as I located the box I was noticing, Scheez, they've got a whole half-aisle of gluten-free pasta/crackers/bread/cookies/etc. here now. It can't be a 'low-carb' thing because none of this stuff's low in carbs, it's just made with starches other than wheat. And there can't be this many people with allergies or celiac disease! Why is this trendy?

I've been wondering the same thing. I've been inclined to think the whole gluten-free trend is nonsense for the most part.

"olive oil" a dog-whistle and you're not fooling anyone. :D

:lol: Good one. :)

To be fair to iron horse, I think he may only have posted that link in response to me asking about gluten-free diets, not as part of some Food Police point.
i don't know that i have an allergy, but i really don't seem to digest wheat too well. i feel better without it, or when the only wheat i consume is the less healthy white flour like in white bread or pasta. eating, say, wheat berries make me feel terrible.
That wouldn't be caused by gluten content, because the milling process doesn't affect it (gluten isn't in the bran or germ); if gluten were the problem you wouldn't be able to handle white flour, either. Lots of people find whole wheat berries bothersome to digest (and chew), which could be because of their very high fiber content. Also (armchair food historian moment here, sorry) I don't think it's the case that the whole wheatberry 'pilafs' you often see whole-foodsy recipes for nowadays are actually typical of how wheat was traditionally consumed anywhere. Flour's been the favored form everywhere wheat's grown for 10,000+ years now, and in the ancient Levant the second preference was bulgur, which is made by hulling, cracking and pre-steaming it before drying and storing for later cooking. I'm pretty sure just boiling the berries whole and eating them was never the norm anywhere, though most Mediterranean countries still have a couple special holiday dishes based on whole berries that were likely originally associated with harvest festivities.

Anyway, I don't actually care if someone wants to eat a gluten-free diet for whatever reason, of course; I'm just curious why it's become so popular that there's now a market for all these ready-made gluten-free baked goods. Wheat is so central a part of American cooking, so challenging to avoid altogether, that it seems strange to me that so many people (allergies/celiac excepted, obviously) would voluntarily forgo it over nothing more than a vague notion that "some people say it's healthier."

Part of why so many people are flocking to it is that many of us find ourselves surrounded by gluten-free people. For example, if I am having a house party or hosting a dinner, I know that there will be at least one good friend (but often 2 or 3) who are gluten-free. Only one of the 3 has been properly diagnosed with celiac disease as a very young child. The others are following gluten-free diets on the advice of their doctors, as a means of controlling IBS or IBS-like symptoms.

So what happens is that if you're going to be a thoughtful host, you'll go out there and buy an appetizer or two or a snack or two that is gluten-free to accomodate them. And when your other friends throw a party, they will too. My Mom remarked that she had a whole bunch of rice-based cookies and crackers left from hosting her co-workers before Christmas, because there were two that would not eat gluten. So the numbers of purchasers is inflated not just because of those who are gluten-free, but because of a host of other people conforming to their needs. That's why I think it's popping up in workplace or school cafeterias, etc. The wholesale of gluten-free products has got to go up disproportionately.

I guess that could partly explain it. We usually have small groups over for dinner a couple times a month and host fairly large parties with 'finger food' a few times a year, but to date the only 'gluten free' guest we've ever encountered is a friend of our daughter's who's allergic to dairy and wheat. Maybe it's unusual to come across wheat problems that rarely, I don't know. We've never bought anything special for her though; if she's over for dinner we might have for example a Chinese meal, and for parties what we generally do anyway is make a variety of meze, because that offers something for everybody--vegan, lacto-ovo, kosher, gluten-free, spice-phobic etc.--and while we might buy bread and chips for extras, that would never be the only starch on offer. So I guess it didn't occur to me that some people might need to buy special items for gluten-free guests.

Last edited:
What's all this talk around here about a glutton-free diet? I mean, aren't all diets glutton free? By definition a glutton "over-indulges" so you can't be a glutton and on a diet and... what?

emily-litella.jpg

Never mind.

I tried a gluten free diet for about a day. The gluten free bread tasted almost, but not quite, completely unlike bread. Utterly pointless. Might as well eat cardboard.

IBS, certainly, is a problematic condition for many people, but there is no doubt in my mind that the ultimate cause is the stress of modern living.

IBS, certainly, is a problematic condition for many people, but there is no doubt in my mind that the ultimate cause is the stress of modern living.

I think that this is a very good point. I know that when I finish off a 16 or worse yet 18-hour workday, if I described how I feel it would probably not be unlike those with IBS.

(I just realized that may be TMI, haha)

Uhoh, what a hypocrite. Good thing I'll be way too nervous to eat anything Sunday. I hope someone will check that they are really eating healthy nachos.

The first family will likely spend Super Bowl Sunday at the White House, watching the big game over a plate of nachos and a side of guacamole, Michelle Obama said in an interview with celebrity chef Rachael Ray set to air Wednesday.

“We’ll probably watch it at home. It’ll probably be a quiet Super Bowl this year,” Obama told Ray of the family’s plans.

As for the favorite Obama snacks that would be part of a game-day spread, Obama said nachos are “always good,” particularly if “it’s fresh tomato sauce and you get it on sort of a good quality tortilla.”

President Obama prefers avocados as his “favorite snack food,” she added. “A chip dipped in some guac.”

The first lady also discussed her family’s commitment to physical fitness, which is the focus of her “Let’s Move!” campaign to fight childhood obesity.

“We’re a huge sports family,” she said. “I work out as often as I can, usually every day and when we can, we exercise with the kids. I usually exercise after the girls go to school, but they play basketball, my older daughter plays tennis, we play with her. Barack helps to coach Sasha’s basketball team, so we do make sports a part of our lifestyle and that’s the other leg of ‘Let’s Move!’

“It’s nutrition, but it’s also movement,” she added.

As for those cheesy-typically high-caloric nachos, Obama agreed with Ray that they can be made in a healthy way.

i can't help thinking that because of the absolute mess that link was and the actual content of the article you're not going to engage in critical thinking and discussion regarding the results of the study?

you didn't just see the headline and copy+paste did you?

Bacon Milkshake?! It’s Happening at Jack in the Box | Video | TheBlaze.com

Alas, the shake doesn’t actually contain real meat: According to the fast food chain’s website, it’s made with “bacon flavored syrup.” It packs a caloric punch, though — a regular 16-ounce size holds 773 calories and 40 grams of fat. A 24-ounce large one contains 1,081 calories and 54 grams of fat.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom