The F$$d P$lice are C$ming

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
How about a tax on AIDs' sufferers, if we're going to be consistent?

government spends lots and lots of money on preventative medicine -- condoms, safe sex, screening blood, etc. they could do much more with clean needle exchanges. that's much more along the lines of encouraging healthy eating.

every wondered why is food filled with corn syrup so much cheaper than healthy organic food?

Preach on Irvine511 :applaud:

HFCS is cheap, dirt cheap.
It's cost less than pure cane sugar and other natural sweetners.

I think it is one of the major causes of obesity today.

*email Coke and other big soda companies! Tell them to to stop using HFCS.

Preach on Irvine511 :applaud:

HFCS is cheap, dirt cheap.
It's cost less than pure cane sugar and other natural sweetners.

I think it is one of the major causes of obesity today.

*email Coke and other big soda companies! Tell them to to stop using HFCS.

or, don't buy Coke.

Calories are calories; if you drink (nondiet) sodas like they're water, and an awful lot of Americans do, then chances are you're gonna get fat, period, regardless of whether they're sweetened with corn syrup, beet sugar, or cane sugar. On the other hand, if you're reserving them as an optional occasional treat, which is exactly what you should do (if you wish to drink them at all), then who cares if the taxes on them go up?

Sugar prices are themselves artificially supported, that's why corn syrup is economically competitive in the first place.

Last edited:
Calories are calories; if you drink (nondiet) sodas like they're water, and an awful lot of Americans do, then chances are you're gonna get fat, period, regardless of whether they're sweetened with corn syrup, beet sugar, or cane sugar.

Exactly! I don't care if coke uses hfcs or cane sugar - drinking too much of it will not serve your body well.

Eat food, not too much, mostly plants - Michael Pollan
Listen here: Michael Pollan spreads the word about eating food | Minnesota Public Radio NewsQ

Sugar prices are themselves artificially supported, that's why corn syrup is economically competitive in the first place.

So why would we want to turnover EVEN MORE of the pricing of health care premiums, drugs, medical procedures et cetera to this same system of subsidies, lobbying, politicking and government price controls?

Unless we outlaw both private and public health insurance, which would have, er, catastrophic effects, then we'll never have anything resembling a free market in health services. Ensuring adequate healthcare access for all is a moral imperative; ensuring freedom from foreign competition for sugar farmers is not, and should probably be phased out completely (which isn't to say that sugar price supports weren't at one time sound policy).

So why would we want to turnover EVEN MORE of the pricing of health care premiums, drugs, medical procedures et cetera to this same system of subsidies, lobbying, politicking and government price controls?

Maybe if you keep repeating it, it will someday become true. Your world of healthcare being like boob jobs and somehow doing away with all 3rd party payors is a pipe dream, it doesn't work.

So why would we want to keep the pricing of health care premiums, drugs procedures, etc to the same system of business men collectiveness, lobbying, politicking, and screwing over the little man? I know you won't answer it, but at least think about it.

Diet carbonated drinks are poison.

Yes, I agree.
Do a search if you have doubts.

Also concerning sodas:
In the late 1970s the price of sugar rose. The soda companies switched to high fructose corn syrup because it was much less expensive. Although the price of sugar came down, they continue to use HFCS.

I think the use of HFCS, in sodas and other foods, is one of the reasons for the rise of obesity the past thirty years.

I think the use of HFCS, in sodas and other foods, is one of the reasons for the rise of obesity the past thirty years.

I think the evidence is building on that theory. What I find somewhat frustrating is that once it was revealed how bad trans fat is for you, it has taken only a few short years for massive adjustments in the packaged goods industry (and restaurant chains) based on consumer demand.

Maybe broader awareness campaigns are a better first step than sin taxes where HFCS is concerned.

it's my understanding that corn syrup itself isn't necessarily bad for us, but it's bountifulness has made foods that should be expensive incredibly cheap, and thus, more convenient for consumption. i doubt that a simple substitution of sugar would help the obesity problem - we need to start eating different foods altogether.

I think the evidence is building on that theory. What I find somewhat frustrating is that once it was revealed how bad trans fat is for you, it has taken only a few short years for massive adjustments in the packaged goods industry (and restaurant chains) based on consumer demand.

Maybe broader awareness campaigns are a better first step than sin taxes where HFCS is concerned.

I agree :applaud:

It's funny, at the place I work. I'm the skinny guy with the Cheerwine (pure cane sugar) and the obese are walking around with Diet Coke.

:huh:

I think maybe they'd be better off advocating that we don't eat hot dogs to begin with.

I used to babysit all the time and nanny full time and was equally terrified of hot dogs and grapes cut in half. If the kid was not old enough to take normal bites and chew the food, I just didn't use hot dogs or grapes. I have no doubt that the stats are real, but I think the answer is as simple as not feeding hot dog pieces to babies. Babies drown in pools each year but the answer is not banning pools, it's keeping babies away from pools.

This is seriously something you're up in arms about, medical professionals suggesting that there may be a safer way of doing things? :huh:

I used to babysit all the time and nanny full time and was equally terrified of hot dogs and grapes cut in half. If the kid was not old enough to take normal bites and chew the food, I just didn't use hot dogs or grapes. I have no doubt that the stats are real, but I think the answer is as simple as not feeding hot dog pieces to babies. Babies drown in pools each year but the answer is not banning pools, it's keeping babies away from pools.

When my daughter was a toddler, she was a *very* picky eater, and unfortunately, hot dogs were one of the few things she'd eat. I used to quarter them lengthwise - problem solved.

Kraft Dinner was another accepted food. We used to have that crap like 3 or 4 times a week, just so she'd eat something. To this day, I can barely even look at it without gagging. :lol:

But did you put the hot dog IN the Kraft dinner? That's what we do here (with Ketchup). I don't like hot dogs (or any meat that has been "stamped" in some way) or Ketchup but I LOVE Kraft mac 'n cheese, still have it once a week (I add Lawry's seasoning and minced onion to mine).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom