The end of the world?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Halifax

The Fly
This is an interesting article.

Many of us are fully aware of certain religious fundimentalists proclaiming the end times or Armageddon will occur soon, the Antichrist will reveal himself, and the final battle for humanty will usher in the second coming of Jesus Christ. I happened to stumbled on to the list of "failed Armageddons" and the number of enlightened people who made various claims.

http://www.whatreallyhappened.com/rapture.html

that was hilarious
but they only have to be right one time. :wink:

the thing I dont get about some of the doomsady Christians is that the book of Revelation will tell you straight up "it's going to surprise everybody" (paraphrase of course).

I hold on to my faith with reservations these days.
It's hard and I wish it weren't so. I have a bigger lack of faith in humanity that anything.
But I think I can chalk up 100% of the absurdity and false grandeur to man, and his willingness to make a buck, to become famous or otherwise. Another reason I think, if the whole Biblical perspective has validity then I think these people are nuts by default. It's hard to make a corporation out of Jesus' teachings all by itself. Gotta have some Leviticus "selling" points, among others.

End of the world is gonna happen when the earth dissipates into the sun.

Fuck, I've always heard that the antichrist is and was ME....

And the only explanation for the end of the world for me, is scientific too. So does that make me a questioning Christian?

Something created this universe right?

Everyone knows it's gonna end in 2012 because the Mayans said so.

Duh.

A long tradition; here are some other neat predictions that didn't quite come to pass.

I would take even money that England will not exist in the year 2000. -Paul Ehrlich in (1969)

In ten years all important animal life in the sea will be extinct. Large areas of coastline will have to be evacuated because of the stench of dead fish. -Paul Ehrlich, Earth Day (1970)

The battle to feed humanity is over. In the 1970s, the world will undergo famines. Hundreds of millions of people are going to starve to death in spite of any crash programs embarked upon now. Population control is the only answer. -Paul Ehrlich, in The Population Bomb (1968)

Before 1985, mankind will enter a genuine age of scarcity…in which the accessible supplies of many key minerals will be facing depletion.—Paul Ehrlich in (1976)

If present trends continue, the world will be about four degrees colder for the global mean temperature in 1990, but eleven degrees colder by the year 2000. … This is about twice what it would take to put us in an ice age.—Kenneth E.F. Watt on air pollution and global cooling, Earth Day (1970)

This cooling has already killed hundreds of thousands of people. If it continues and no strong action is taken, it will cause world famine, world chaos and world war, and this could all come about before the year 2000.—Lowell Ponte in “The Cooling”, 1976

Good Grief!

A_Wanderer said:
If present trends continue, the world will be about four degrees colder for the global mean temperature in 1990, but eleven degrees colder by the year 2000. … This is about twice what it would take to put us in an ice age.—Kenneth E.F. Watt on air pollution and global cooling, Earth Day (1970)

This cooling has already killed hundreds of thousands of people. If it continues and no strong action is taken, it will cause world famine, world chaos and world war, and this could all come about before the year 2000.—Lowell Ponte in “The Cooling”, 1976

Just to comment on "global cooling," a lot of this was probably in the context of sulfur dioxide emissions, which is a global coolant. Sulfur dioxide is what caused the "acid rain."

Of course, we eventually curtailed our sulfur dioxide emissions, but not our carbon dioxide emissions. Perhaps, just maybe, that's why we're now worried about "global warming." Our pollution doesn't cancel itself out anymore. :huh:

Melon

Back
Top Bottom