The End is Nigh: US Presidential Election Thread Part XVI

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Isn't the dismissive nature of all the people who feel morally superior the reason that this has actually happened? The John Oliver's of this world, they mean well, and I completely agree with them, are alienating so many people from "reasonable" politics.

Then how do we go about it?! It's fucking 2016 and we just told our daughters that it's ok to be grabbed in the crotch by a man, as long as they're rich. Oh, and sons it's ok to be a bully, especially if that person is different or looks different than you.

They are made up of people who are either; racist or don't understand racism, who can't differentiate between sexual assault and language or they just don't care.

How do you educate them? This all should be common knowledge and common decency in 2016.

Forget that he's a serial liar, ignorant of foreign policy, and has no true policy. How do you get the common knowledge and decency aspect across without "moral superiority" when they've proven they don't care?

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference

I'd just like to say the thread title has taken on a new meaning today.

Isn't the dismissive nature of all the people who feel morally superior the reason that this has actually happened? The John Oliver's of this world, they mean well, and I completely agree with them, are alienating so many people from "reasonable" politics.

This is it. I think it was anitram who said many threads ago that the incessant mocking of the Trump demographic came with a price, and here it is coming home to roost.

Shit, folks.

There ain't much you can do. I understand feeling bad, and it's a difficult pill to swallow, but for one of the worst things that could have happened... gotta accept it for what it is. Trump International Airport will be a thing some day. The Trump library. Is what it is.

Ah, the Trump library, with all two picture books that dullard has ever read in his life.

No acceptance. To quote a famous Australian politician at a famous juncture in Australian history, maintain the rage.

Ah, the Trump library, with all two picture books that dullard has ever read in his life.

No acceptance. To quote a famous Australian politician at a famous juncture in Australian history, maintain the rage.

One of them being Mein Kampf, of course.

Dunno your famous Ozpeople, but don't know if I agree. There's a different theater for that rage, but right now Trump is unfortunately the legitimate president elect.

I think my history with having to cope with shit is kicking in here. This is a much larger scale issue of course, but it doesn't have to be all that bad. Trump is a total piece of shit conman turd sandwich. You'll just have to give the piece of shit conman turd sandwich a chance I guess. And reflect during the next two years and work towards mitigating the problem, should he ultimately be the problem we anticipate.

Then how do we go about it?! It's fucking 2016 and we just told our daughters that it's ok to be grabbed in the crotch by a man, as long as they're rich. Oh, and sons it's ok to be a bully, especially if that person is different or looks different than you.

They are made up of people who are either; racist or don't understand racism, who can't differentiate between sexual assault and language or they just don't care.

How do you educate them? This all should be common knowledge and common decency in 2016.

Forget that he's a serial liar, ignorant of foreign policy, and has no true policy. How do you get the common knowledge and decency aspect across without "moral superiority" when they've proven they don't care?

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference
I agree with you. I don't know a solution either. It should be possible to just mock Trump as he's a complete joke as a politician (probably as a decent human being as well). I'm just observing that it doesn't seem to work. I think it's eeringly similar to Brexit really.

It's sad that many people vote for a candidate who will almost definitely be worse for them than the alternative. But it is a fact.

One of them being Mein Kampf, of course.

Dunno your famous Ozpeople, but don't know if I agree. There's a different theater for that rage, but right now Trump is unfortunately the legitimate president elect.

I suppose that's the one difference, in that Gough Whitlam's dismissal in 1975 by the governor-general - the source of the maintain the rage quotation - was of debatable validity. Nonetheless, maintain the rage. Organise. Band together. Never stop fighting for what is fair, just, and right. I very much want to believe this is the last gasp of white nationalism, but it only will be if everybody maintains the rage. If we give in to resignation and acceptance, we give it more life.

Republican House, Republican Senate, Supreme Court pick.

Trump is going to be the most powerful US president in decades.

Still hasn't sunk in.

This is why I am REALLY afraid. The Republicans have all three branches of government, and are led by an actual madman.

Goodbye America.

I want to believe nothing more than Trump personally being liberal in many aspects, despite what he put on for show / to win.

That is one of the very very few things I think most can agree on. His history suggests he's always been misogynistic and xenophobic, and perhaps his history suggests racism as well, and while all of these things are utter shit, at least we can hope that he doesn't give a shit about abortions, sexuality, ....

shit I was hoping to make a longer list.

I...I'm very depressed. We elected a governor whose dad was one of the most corrupt governors we've ever had, and now Trump wins the presidential election. I can't believe the news today.

Well....I guess I have to be more open about my being an outright feminist.

There's a lot of truth in this statement. Failling to call out sexism, racism, xenophobia, homophobia or intolerance any time I see it, even when it's the crazy uncle you see once a year, is something I hope I never do again. Or recognizing the structural biases that are there in everyday life. Our complacency leads to this.

I'm truly heartbroken this morning. My wife's Latino co-workers are in tears in her office. Our Muslim friends are scared for the future. We've seen this story so many times in the past. It never ends well.

Last edited:
I...I'm very depressed. We elected a governor whose dad was one of the most corrupt governors we've ever had, and now Trump wins the presidential election. I can't believe the news today.

Given how unbelievably shitty 2016 has been thus far, I'd hoped that maybe Hillary would win and that would signal hope that this year could end on a better note...

...but at the same time, I kept having that fear in the back of my mind that this would happen. I was worried that Trump would win and that'd just be the clincher to show how utterly horrible this year truly was.

So yeah. Fuck 2016.

[tweet]796332890904793088[/tweet]

[tweet]796333234279817216[/tweet]

What's most crushing for me today has been the death of my inherent optimism. As a gay man, watching the world and especially the US evolve so quickly on gay issues over the past 10 years has been inspiring. Obama has been a sterling president ... and yet, here we are.

My personal belief system has always held "the world only spins forward" at its core -- that humanity does progress, that each year is, in aggregate, better than the last.

That's gone now, at least for today. It's much more "things fall apart" right now.

There's a lot of truth in this statement. Failling to call out sexism, racism, xenophobia, homophobia or intolerance any time I see it, even when it's the crazy uncle you see once a year, is something I hope I never do again. Or recognizing the structural biases that are there in everyday life. Our complacency leads to this.

I'm truly heartbroken this morning. My wife's Latino co-workers are in tear in her office. Our Muslim friends are scared for the future. We've seen this story so many times in the past. It never ends well.

If this isn't our wake-up call, we'll never hear another one. We have to deal with what happened, take the high road, and stick up for our causes. Loud, no matter what.

What's most crushing for me today has been the death of my inherent optimism. As a gay man, watching the world and especially the US evolve so quickly on gay issues over the past 10 years has been inspiring. Obama has been a sterling president ... and yet, here we are.

My personal belief system has always held "the world only spins forward" at its core -- that humanity does progress, that each year is, in aggregate, better than the last.

That's gone now, at least for today. It's much more "things fall apart" right now.

There's white, heterosexual men who still care. Sorry I couldn't help with this vote.

I guess I'm really struggling to understand how people can't be open, or progressive. My elderly, Trump demographic father defined me, and made me who I am. I'm horrified and disgusted.

Reckon the orange dipshit will finally wear a suit that fits?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom