The End is Nigh: US Presidential Election Thread Part XVI

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
There are some wonderful human beings on this site. I'm as far away from the US as you can be, here in NZ, but me and my wife have watched this election tonight with horror. Our 15 year old asked if this means he'll end up being conscripted because Trump is sure to start a war. What a thing to hear a 15 year old say.
But here you are, americans for the most part, decent, caring, hurting and human and it's inspiring. It's hopeful. I can't fathom why anyone voted for Trump, let alone 50 million people, but it's clear those people aren't the only America.
For those hurting tonight, those really struggling, it's entirely understandable and for what it's worth you have our sympathy and care and affection. We're so sorry.
This will be ok. It must. Because there are just too many good and clever and kind and motivated americans to ensure it ends well.

Sent from my SM-G920I using U2 Interference mobile app

California did us proud today though.

Billions of dollars poured into the school system, affordable housing and public transportation.

Aggressive new gun laws.

Heavy taxes on the Trumps of the state.

Legal recreational marijuana.

It's almost like a third Obama term :heart:

*Considers moving there*

There are some wonderful human beings on this site. I'm as far away from the US as you can be, here in NZ, but me and my wife have watched this election tonight with horror. Our 15 year old asked if this means he'll end up being conscripted because Trump is sure to start a war. What a thing to hear a 15 year old say.
But here you are, americans for the most part, decent, caring, hurting and human and it's inspiring. It's hopeful. I can't fathom why anyone voted for Trump, let alone 50 million people, but it's clear those people aren't the only America.
For those hurting tonight, those really struggling, it's entirely understandable and for what it's worth you have our sympathy and care and affection. We're so sorry.
This will be ok. It must. Because there are just too many good and clever and kind and motivated americans to ensure it ends well.

:hug:

Aw shucks. Seriously, this is the kind of stuff that keeps me on interference.

Not gonna lie, I needed to read this. Thank you.

i received a text from my teenage daughter (who is away at uni) first thing this morning before i'd got out of bed, saying "fuuuuuuuuuuuuckkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkk" and that's how i learnt the news

this is devastating... i am so sorry, shell-shocked and can't believe it

it's no consolation, but sending a hug and thoughts to you sweet people here xxx (except the gloaters of course - good luck with that)

(i would offer a room over here for political refugees, but i have a horrible feeling France will be next - elections here next year too and extreme right gaining momentum fast) :crack:

To all the haters who have said we were crazy for the last 18 months for believing we would win.
Who's laughing now?
President Elect Donald Trump

Oh, no one's laughing now, no one should be. You just elected the worst occupiers of our country's highest seat in our nation's history.

You of all posters actually disowned him a couple of times, this will weigh heaviest on your conscious. The country has been set on fire, and you lit the match.

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference

Went to bed last night with a bad feeling (Clinton projected ahead at only 68-66 electoral votes). Woke up this morning and vomited a little in my mouth.

My wife is eligible to get her Canadian citizenship, and we considered moving in this possibility. But decided our country needs us now more than ever. I don't think we are a lost cause just yet. That and the news reported the Canadian citizenship website crashed last night.

I need to relax. I need to watch a puppycam.

Sent from my SPH-L720T using U2 Interference mobile app

I can't actually handle this.

But you know what? I've always wanted to visit a rogue state, and now the US is a much cheaper and easier option than North Korea.

Holy shit. For the last seventy years we have been gradually trying to move away from racism, sexism, misogyny, homophobia, fascism, all that shit. Overnight so much good work has been torn up and thrown to the four winds.

Old fears, new frontiers, people.

Easy to blame Trump but he is a cog of sorts.

Half of your country is essentially uncivilized. That's a very hard pill to swallow. I know many women of colour in the US personally and closely and they no longer believe it is there or country in any sense of the word. It's easy for people to preach from high about staying but we live in a global economy and I think you are better off taking your chances elsewhere. I've kind of drifted from place to place, you find your way in some corner of the world that fits you and live our your days in dignity. I only wish everyone had that opportunity.

Half of your country is essentially uncivilized.
Isn't the dismissive nature of all the people who feel morally superior the reason that this has actually happened? The John Oliver's of this world, they mean well, and I completely agree with them, are alienating so many people from "reasonable" politics.

Isn't the dismissive nature of all the people who feel morally superior the reason that this has actually happened? The John Oliver's of this world, they mean well, and I completely agree with them, are alienating so many people from "reasonable" politics.

Hillary's deplorables comment probably didn't help. Nor was it bright of her to completely ignore the blue collar men and women of Pennsylvania and upper midwest. She lost contact with the common man.

And yeah, that's something Bernie was able to do. The Democrats have much to learn from this election.

You know what's really fucking horrifying? Trump's supporters just don't even seem interested in rebutting the claims made against him.

I remember when we'd mock Bush as a warmonger, as stupid, as illiterate, etc. You'd immediately get pushback about the wars being just and about his policies being effective good ideas.

Call Trump a racist and an enabler of white nationalism? Practically nothing. Sexist and Misogynistic? Practically nothing. Fascistic and authoritarian? Apart from a semantic debate about whether it's valid to call him a fascist - which even itself seems to mainly be a left-wing debate - practically nothing, no attempt to deny his tendencies away from democracy.

Never mind Islamic extremism. We need to repudiate extremism in our midst. Instead this election has promoted and advanced it, not just in the US but around the world. We already have Australia's lunar right feeling energised. The Brits have been on their way for months. I dread to think what's going to happen in France. Oh god. I can't believe we have come to this.

I hope this is the last gasp, the violent death spasm of white supremacy, or a misdirected and thoughtless kick against free trade, but I fear it is not, I fear it is more.

I don't even care. They deserve neither sympathy nor understanding. They have promoted cretinous ideologies and goals, and should be condemned in no uncertain times.

I just woke up desperately hoping that I'd grab my phone, load up FiveThirtyEight, and see that this was just a nightmare.

No such luck.

I am so angry. I am so angry and I have not a ton of personal reason to be angry - I'm a straight while male with a job that pays me well. I work in a cyclical industry and thus have some recession risk. But it kills me to think that if I were a woman, or if I were Latino/Latina, or if I were LGBTQ, or if I were Black, or if I were Islamic, that white men like my non-hypothetical self (along with a surprisingly large number of whites women) banded together on a campaign against me. And that can have real consequences. This fucking buffoon of a candidate campaigned to build the wall. To ban Muslims. And he had a Republican Congress to play with here, which will play along with an unknown amount of reliability. He's admitted pleasure at sexual assault and his language towards women threatens to push back against decades of progress on that front.

Not to mention that he affects all of us with an utterly ridiculous economic policy, and the fact that he's temperamentally fucking crazy while controlling the nuclear codes. I can't even imagine this man being the most powerful in the country with the sort of decisions that presidents have to make all the time. He'll likely face a recession. He'll likely face more of a mess in Syria and in Israel and God only knows where else. How will he react? Probably not well.

This is a tragic day. Globalists like me have obviously been holed up in our ivory towers, ignoring the anger that has been brewing; Brexit showed us that, and this horrible, horrible nightmare makes it worse.

But there is no excuse for casting a vote for Donald J. Trump.

Last edited:

Like we have to put "reasonable" in quotation marks to denote a politics that isn't sexist and racist? Sorry, uncivilized.

Can't say I'm surprised at all by the result, though I'm surprised by the margin - I thought it would be much closer. I had a feeling that Brexit and Trump are basically a part of the same wave, and that Trump's anti-establishment image would count a lot. Also, the media coverage was so overwhelmingly anti-Trump it was impossible to say what the feeling on the ground really was like, so those pre-election polls felt useless. I suspect many people who voted for Trump maybe wouldn't admit it in public, but the thing about the private vote is that it's *private*.

I would agree. There is a definite sense of elitism present.

The John Olivers of this world are essentially useless.

Putin. Hrs laughing.

White supremacists.

People who want to end marriage equal.

All laughing.

The rest of the world is sobbing.

I think Putin will be relieved that he's dealing with someone who doesn't seem to give much of a shit about Russia in general.

I'm more shocked at the fact that Trump won when it was widely predicted that he'd get thrashed, than the fact that a man like Trump was elected as the President of the United States.

There's a frightening realisation settling in at the moment, which is being reflected all over Europe, Latin America, the world ...

Today is really scary. Not sure how to get ready to go to work.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom