The End is Nigh: US Presidential Election Thread Part XVI

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Don't think those two things are unconstitutional.

you think deporting particular ethnicities (you know he's not too concerned about illegal canadians) and requiring particular religious affiliations in order to legally immigrate are constitutional?

at least we know president lisa simpson is on the way next

14963296_1221416921259130_8500029512872079092_n.jpg

Last edited:
The thread title was prophetic.

Sent from my H60-L04 using U2 Interference mobile app

Officially official... pretty surreal. Hard to believe it happened, but here we are. Wow.

I hope we can come together and rebound from this, but there are tough times ahead.

To all the haters who have said we were crazy for the last 18 months for believing we would win.
Who's laughing now?
President Elect Donald Trump

I cried for the first time in over ten years tonight because a gay friend of mine is having suicidal thoughts over this.

sorry to hear that. i imagine (and assume, cause you're a good guy) that you were the friend he/she needs at the moment. :hug:

Last edited:
There's talk of overseas votes and so on. Has this really happened or is there still chance, any chance, that trump doesn't win?

Sent from my SM-G920I using U2 Interference mobile app

I don't think so...Trump's already past the 270 electoral votes and HC conceded.

the only thing i can possibly hope for at this point is that he's the fiscal conservative, and social libertarian that his most ardent supporters have promised he'll be.

although he of course played the rolling stones after his speech which he was asked explicitly not to do. strike one, mr. president.

once again, thank everlasting fuck bmp wasn't here to gloat about this all night.

Last edited:
I cried for the first time in over ten years tonight because a gay friend of mine is having suicidal thoughts over this.

I had them too, I'll be honest, because I've been struggling with them a lot this year and was confronted with some very unfortunate truths about my countrymen and various people in my family.

Then I posted that lengthy, upbeat post to convince myself and others that things would be alright.

The red team won, so I hope their fans enjoy our delicious tears. It's not like we're fellow human beings or anything.

I know I haven't been here in ages but I need somewhere to vent. I keep typing stuff and deleting it. I don't even know what to say or think anymore. I honestly didn't think this was going to happen. I don't know how we are going to survive as a nation. And to think I was feeling so optimistic this morning, thinking that by the time the night was over we would have elected the first woman president! Yes, I know, Hillary isn't perfect, blah, blah, blah, but what politician is? I honestly don't think she would be anywhere near as hated if she were a man. Yep, I'm playing the woman card and I don't give a shit. I'm almost 50 years old now and I am so sick of this crap. Thanks a lot to all the people who thought a racist, sexist, pathological liar with the maturity of a 5-year-old who cares nothing except his own ego and has bragged about sexual assault would make a better president than an smart, experienced woman who has been tough enough to take all the bullshit that has been thrown at her for more than two decades and keep right on going. HRC was right. You ARE deplorable.

sorry to hear that. i imagine (and assume, cause you're a good guy) that you were the friend he/she needs at the moment. :hug:

I'm not the one she needs, because I don't think I'm up to the task as someone who simply doesn't have the personal experience with being threatened/oppressed so regularly. Thankfully I know that she has a lot of people who can not only be there, but relate and reflect and help in that way. But I'll be damned if having to text someone something as simple as "I'm here for you" because you're concerned about what will happen if you don't doesn't move you to tears. This was legitimately the first time I wept since I was at a funeral when I was 15. Donald Trump and Mike Pence are going to ruin so many lives and I cannot bear the thought.

I have been dealing with a lot of depression as well, lately, and I too was having some awfully mordibly dark thoughts for a while there. I was so happy this morning that this was almost over.

Oh well, thank you all for being here with me tonight. You'll never know how much it meant to me.

And to think I was feeling so optimistic this morning, thinking that by the time the night was over we would have elected the first woman president! Yes, I know, Hillary isn't perfect, blah, blah, blah, but what politician is? I honestly don't think she would be anywhere near as hated if she were a man. Yep, I'm playing the woman card and I don't give a shit. I'm almost 50 years old now and I am so sick of this crap. Thanks a lot to all the people who thought a racist, sexist, pathological liar with the maturity of a 5-year-old who cares nothing except his own ego and has bragged about sexual assault would make a better president than an smart, experienced woman who has been tough enough to take all the bullshit that has been thrown at her for more than two decades and keep right on going. HRC was right. You ARE deplorable.

:up:

Adding the :hug:s for PhilsFan, and to your friend as well. I wish them well, and I'm glad they at least have you by their side.

I'm not the one she needs, because I don't think I'm up to the task as someone who simply doesn't have the personal experience with being threatened/oppressed so regularly. Thankfully I know that she has a lot of people who can not only be there, but relate and reflect and help in that way. But I'll be damned if having to text someone something as simple as "I'm here for you" because you're concerned about what will happen if you don't doesn't move you to tears. This was legitimately the first time I wept since I was at a funeral when I was 15. Donald Trump and Mike Pence are going to ruin so many lives and I cannot bear the thought.

without getting into too many details, i can say that i've been in a similar place as her before, i think. and my friends (who sound just like you do here) have been the ones to pull me out of that hole. so thanks to you, and the rest, who give a shit.

This is a terrible thing that has happened.

I feel terrible for immigrants who now have to live in fear of deportation.

I feel terrible for women who now have to live in fear of their right to choose being taken away(among other things).

I feel terrible for gay people whose right to marry could be taken away again.

I feel terrible for anyone who might lose health coverage if the ACA is repealed.

I feel terrible for the whole world living in fear of whatever Trump's foreign policy ends up being.

I feel terrible for Hillary, who must be having one of the worst nights of her life. I can't imagine how it feels to be her right now.

I feel terrible for President Obama, who must feel like his legacy is about to have a sledgehammer taken to it, and who must sit and watch the response to his presidency be to elect a guy who was endorsed by the KKK.

I feel terrible that the Republican senate's obstruction of the President's SCOTUS nominee has proven to be a successful tactic.

I feel terrible for the country being seen in a much worse light around the world now.

I just feel terrible.

But I know I'm not alone. I know, in the end, it may be that more people voted for Hillary than Trump. And we will, I hope, get through the coming darkness together. Four years is less than the snap of fingers in spacetime. Damage will be done, but we will overcome in the end. We will see the other side of this. I have to believe. It's all I have.

Sent from my iPad using U2 Interference

Trump has not done anything
This is the voice of the American people, this election was well vetted and we have a clear winner. This is how a democracy is supposed to work. I hope he has a clear win of the popular vote.

I am proud and I enjoy watching the liberal tears flow.
What a beautiful moment in our history.

You literally voted for a TV show business man to run this nation.

I know in your heart of hearts you know this is fucked up. Enjoy your victory, enjoy your privilege, and I hope you never have to feel the anguish and sorrow so many of your countrymen and women are feeling tonight.

California did us proud today though.

Billions of dollars poured into the school system, affordable housing and public transportation.

Aggressive new gun laws.

Heavy taxes on the Trumps of the state.

Legal recreational marijuana.

It's almost like a third Obama term :heart:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom