The dead husband story...i found it

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bono-vox

Rock n' Roll Doggie
maze of your imagination, where the streets have n
i found it, he didnt have it frozen tho...awk just read it

The woman who successfully fought in the courts for the right to become pregnant using the sperm of her dead husband, is expecting again.

Diane Blood, 35, said she is expecting her second baby in July following a repeat of the medical treatment that allowed her to conceive her son Liam, now aged three.

Mrs Blood won the right to use sperm taken from her husband Stephen, who died from meningitis in March 1995.

She revealed she has successfully repeated the treatment in 'another European country'.

She said: "I'm really proud and my family and friends are all delighted."

In 1995, Stephen, 30, contracted bacterial meningitis, quickly fell into a coma and was put on a life support machine.

The couple, who had been sweethearts since their teens and married for four years, had already been trying for a baby, so Mrs Blood asked doctors if sperm could be taken from him before life support machine was switched off, and they agreed.

Use of the sperm was blocked by the Human Fertilisation and Embryology Authority, but she eventually won a court case on appeal in February 1997, allowing her to travel abroad for the treatment.

Mrs Blood said her only sadness was that the law failed to recognise her husband as the father.

"The new child's birth certificate, like that of Liam, must show the father as `unknown', which of course couldn't be further from the truth," she said.

She is now in a race against time to get a change in the law, before her new child is born, to enable her late husband to be listed on the birth certificate.

She has written to the Government through her solicitor, giving a three-week deadline before she commences litigation.

She is hoping the Government will either find Parliamentary time to implement its promised change in the law, or agree not to contest her if she brings a court case asserting a breach in her family's human rights.

Her plan is that such a court case would produce a declaration of incompatibility which would enable the law to be changed by a statutory instrument without excessive demands on Parliament's time.

Thanks Bono-vox.

I say good on her, and congratulations. She has ot only a beautiful new baby on the way, but a constant reminder of her husband. He wasn't dead when the sperm was removed, I dont see why its so foreign a concept. I appreciate that you may feel its against the laws of nature or whatever, but I cant help but feel happy for her. Its awful being told you cant have kids, and having your husband die must be almost unliveable. I dunno, I just think its fantastic.
smile.gif

I think the guy made his intentions clear when he stored his sperm. Fair play to her - and congratulations.

smile.gif

------------------
She's gonna dream up a world she wants to live in / She's gonna dream out loud.
Visit my web page at www.u2page.com

Like I said before, I don't have a problem with it. It's sad that these children will never know their father, but it seems as though the family is just how he would've wanted it. Keeping up with the in-vetro years after his death is a little creepy in my opionion, but if she has the resources to care for these children properly, more power to her.

Back
Top Bottom