The Daily Show With Jon Stewart

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

namkcuR

ONE love, blood, life
One of the top 5 or 6 shows on TV, period, let alone political satirical programs.

It's kind of sad that a show mocking typical media coverage of world events gives the most honest depiction of the news on television. However, that only means it's proving its point.

Stewart is completely perfect for the job too. I think he has an uncanny perspective how far he can push things before crossing the line, on what can mock and what he can't mock. Not to mention he's hilarious. The other anchors on the show...Stephen Cobare(sp?) and Rob whatshisname, are both great too. I get the feeling a lot of people don't appreciate the talent it takes to keep a stone straight face while totally mocking the hell out of whatever the subject is, or that that talent is percisely what adds the pinch, the edginess to the show.

And when Lewis Black, one of the great topical standups of the day, makes an appearance, that's just a bonus.

All hail the Daily Show.

I'd love for U2 to guest on his show sometime. His and Conan O'Brien's!! Support your fellow Irishmen!

whitehead said:
I'd love for U2 to guest on his show sometime. His and Conan O'Brien's!! Support your fellow Irishmen!

I'm Irish, and I think Jon Stewart is an amazing host of that show, and I've followed and loved his work for many years. I thought ten years ago that he should be bigger than he was then. Also he's Jewish. Jews rock!

Conan is a wacky, insane dude. I love his show, but I don't watch it much anymore since I have to work earlier in the morning now.

It'd be awesome for U2 to be guests on Conan soon, or for Bono to go on the Daily Show! :)

Daily Show is awesome! I watch it every night...haven't been able to since before the break though...can't wait to get back tonite!

It does lean to the left, but so do I.:wink: I laugh my ass off when people insist it should be politically neutral or whatever...it's a fucking comedy show!

Anyway, love the show, This Week in God has got to be my favorite segment!

Yeah, there does seem to be a disproportionate amount of Jewish people in comedy! Even though I'm an agnostic/atheist/confused person, My family's Jewish, so I like Jon's Jew-jokes...

Bono should DEFINITELY go on there...they've made fun of him several times anyway!:wink:

btw, how do you get the Daily Show in Ireland? Do you order it or whatever? (sorry, confused) I've always told my dad the best thing we could do for foreign relations these days would be to export that show!

Mess O' Potamia!:drool:

Last edited:
I like the fact that even though it leans to the left, he has no sacred cows. If you screw up, he's calling your ass out. And I love his sarcasm.

I've seen his show quite a bit, and sorry to say, but I definately think he's overrated. I wouldn't mind if a drunk Bono laid the smack down on him. Now THAT would be funny.

Macfistowannabe said:
I've seen his show quite a bit, and sorry to say, but I definately think he's overrated. I wouldn't mind if a drunk Bono laid the smack down on him. Now THAT would be funny.

Why am I not surprised you find him overrated? :eyebrow: ;)

indra said:

Why am I not surprised you find him overrated? :eyebrow: ;)

:lol:

and I'm not sure why anyone would expect Bono to "lay the smack down on him" drunk or not?!:huh:

In fact Jon has given Bono a few jabs(all in good fun) but I think they would both get along well and probably have a lot of the same beliefs politically.

They only recently introduced Jon Stewart to Canadian Television (CTV) so I'm a late convert but a loyal one now! The Brits and Canadians have had similar shows for years but it's nice to see the Americans on board now too.

I only started watching this show recently, after hearing so many people rave about it. I love it already! I totally agree Bono should be a guest.

My thing about Bono smacking Jon was a bit of a joke, just to clarify. I think John Henson is much funnier, and underrated.

I've been watching this show since Jon Stewart took it over. Love the Stewart, but my favorite is Stephen Colbert (his Colbert Report is soooo dead-on in its parody of O'Reilly). I also liked the Even Stevens segment they had before Steve Carrell left the show.

CNN has announced that Crossfire will be off the air soon....and I wonder if it had something to do with Jon Stewart's appearance on the show? The producer's reasoning for taking the show off the air (which was probably CNN's decision, not his) echoed Stewart's reasons for hating the show quite a bit....

That "comedian" has become too powerful for our own good, referring to the Crossfire announcement.

Macfistowannabe said:
That "comedian" has become too powerful for our own good, referring to the Crossfire announcement.

Why? Stewart was dead-on with what he said. Crossfire and shows like it are totally meaningless. It's people shouting at each other. You're not getting any new news. All you're getting is people with big egos re-itterating the same left-right political views everyone in the country already knows about. Utterly pointless.

namkcuR said:
Why? Stewart was dead-on with what he said. Crossfire and shows like it are totally meaningless. It's people shouting at each other. You're not getting any new news. All you're getting is people with big egos re-itterating the same left-right political views everyone in the country already knows about. Utterly pointless.
You state your views on debate shows quite well, although I feel a little different about them in some respects. When I hear a news story, I often wonder what the conservatives and the liberals are going to say about it. To me, that's news too. People make the news because of how they feel about a certain issue. It may be a lot of big-ego on debate shows, no doubt about it, but for me it's better than watching Jon Stewart suck up to John Kerry. Not exactly my idea of comedy. Not exactly my idea of news, either.

I think of Jon Stewart as a political figure long before I consider him a comedian.:wink:

unfortunately i havent kept up with the daily show in the last year and a half mostly cause i have no cable back home, but before moving i watched it every night!1 one of my favorite shows, i loved "back in black" and "even stevens" !!!
jon stewart rocks!

Not to get too off topic here, but the whole idea of punditry is rather ridiculous. I mean, the democrats and the republicans send out their people to beat the party line to make it seem that there is only two very separate and distinct ways to look at an issue. In reality, there's a lot of nuance in each major political issue, and a 4-minute segment on any show does not indicate that. And the separate ideas that they claim to have, really, mask the fact that there's more in common between republicans and dems than either would like the general public to believe.

Last edited:
GULFPORT, Miss. - Library officials in two southern Mississippi counties have banned Jon Stewart's best-selling "America (The Book)" over the satirical textbook's nude depictions of the nine U.S. Supreme Court justices.

"I've been a librarian for 40 years and this is the only book I've objected to so strongly that I wouldn't allow it to circulate," said Robert Willits, director of the Jackson-George Regional Library System of eight libraries in Jackson and George counties.

"We're not an adult bookstore. Our entire collection is open to the entire public," Willits said. "If they had published the book without that one picture, that one page, we'd have the book."

Wal-Mart has declined to stock the book because of the page, which features the faces of the nine Supreme Court justices superimposed over naked bodies. The facing page has cutouts of the justices' robes, complete with a caption asking readers to "restore their dignity by matching each justice with his or her respective robe."

The book by Stewart and the writers of "The Daily Show," the Comedy Central fake-news program he hosts, was released in September. It has spent 15 weeks on The New York Times best seller list for hardcover nonfiction, and was named Book of the Year by Publishers Weekly, the industry trade magazine.

Former English teacher Tara Skelton of Ocean Springs said the libraries shouldn't decide what is in poor taste.

"It just really seemed kind of silly to me," she said. "I don't think the Supreme Court justices have filed any defamation of character or libel suits. It's humor."

Back
Top Bottom