The creative spirit....

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
BonosSaint said:
So artists, writers ... (successful, struggling, hopeful, or I got the idea written in my notebook, but I can't seem to do anything with it)

Tell us about your art, your current or most recent project, or the project you are dying to work on. What's your creative process,
the problems you encounter, your style, a favorite character you've created, etc.?

Does writing music count?

I have hit a creative swell over the last 2 years, I have written and recorded a lot of songs.

I have been doing this for about 7 or 8 years.

I record and catalog the stuff, so that I can see the progress, and for the idea of making a collective piece.

Over a year ago, I did two instrumental pieces, each 90 minutes. That's friggin 3 hours of music. I think I did it in about 4 months.
I am not saying it's all great, or even good, but some of it is.
I try to be objective. Some of it is redundant, but I am only recording for myself, so who cares?

I mean the whole idea to record and keep it is to see the progression. I remain very passionate about it. I write music as therapy, among other things, including being a hobby.

Plus I have always just loved music, since I was a small child.
Bought a guitar and recorded for about 2 or 3 years before I ever started trying. When I started I thought it was cool to just play with sounds, now I write songs with chords and all that stuff.

And for the record, I am working on, near completing what I think is my best work ever. I completed it, in part and for the first time ever have gone back to try and improve some stuff.

I am usually in the business of writing a song, recording it, and moving on to the next phase. This time, just trying to iron out some ideas.

All in all, I have 200+ songs? If I wanted to go back and refine the best stuff, i wouldn't even know where to begin. But it sure is FUN to add to it!

I did a U2 recording too, got about 25 U2 songs done, some of them very cool, some kinda crap.

BonoVoxSupastar said:

The doctors that I've talked to about it, say that ADD is very prevelant in creative types. They also cautioned me that some treatments for ADD may "hinder" the creative process. And sometimes there's a thin line between society's defintion of ADD and medical ADD. I've actually been placed under electrodes and analysis for my ADD.

My friend the clinical nutritionist believes it can be treated nutritionally. Then again, he believes everything can be treated nutritonally, lol.

I have a bit of ADD myself. In fact, I think several of my friends do as well and it's sorta funny at this point. One of them changes the subject so often that I've developed a theme song for him that I burst into everytime Mr. ADD appears. Yes, we crack ourselves up. :D

I have all kinds of creative issues. But I play a little guitar, but not much these days, and am trying to garden as an outlet. I get excited each morning when I go outside to peek at my flower bed.

I'm working on a live U2 compilation. How is it art? I'm remixing most of the songs, and even composing some extra synths to go along with the music. The craziest part of it all is percussion remix. I'm livening Larry up with some crazy drum tech. I just finished part of my "Elevation" remix, which I use five different versions of the song - 2 studio/3 live performances, as well as my own synth to open it up and fill in the break. It will take a while to complete - and a lot of free time. I'll brag about it nonstop when it's finished.

We'll have to hear it when you're done Macfist. Look at all the talents we didn't know each other had. My respect grows minute by minute.

You all make me feel like a hopeless lump; all these great paintings, photos...wow!

I do quilting, which isn't really art, I don't think, and play around with some collages and junk with my little graphics program. I gave up on writing years ago, when I realized that I have no worthwhile talent with words. I wrote exactly one thing that was worth the paper it was printed on, and it was only three lines....:lol: Well, maybe more than one, but I haven't looked at them in years....

Mrs. Springsteen, doesn't matter what anyone else thinks; doesn't matter if you don't know anything about photography; just matters whether you like doing it. I like you photos.

Last edited:
What makes you think quilting isn't art, echo? We have a big fair around here in September and one of the reasons I go is to look at the quilting. I am in awe of quilting. So show us your quilts and your graphics. We all diminish our art. Besides, I've read your posts. Where do you get this no talent with words idea?
Art is about how we view the world and look at all the unique views. Sorry. I'm getting a little rapturous here.

Well, I am Irish (by descent, anyway), so I'm bound to be able to sling a little bull :lol:

Unfortunately, I can't show you my quilts, as I am not scanner equipped at the moment. Maybe sometime I'll post some of my graphics (when I can decide which one I'm least embarrassed by).

The reason I find it hard to think of quilting as art is that I've been doing it all my life. My mother quilted, to bring in extra money, and put warm covers on our beds; she taught us all to sew. It's just something I do, quilts are pretty blankets, you can hang them on the wall if you like, but they should be used....and when you've seen a quilt that's been used for ten years, and it's falling apart, shedding threads, batting coming out, 'art' is not the word you think of.:eyebrow:

Shit. I love usable art. Adds an extra dimension to it, I think.
Purposeful art.

Should be a clickable thumbnail, there...or do you mean even bigger? I sent it to a friend of mine, she said "Why so damn big?" Actually, that was the working size; at the forum where I used it as a signature, I, of course, had to size it down.

But thanks for the compliment, BonosSaint; it's nice to know that I can please someone besides myself occasionally. :)

Okay, here's something short I wrote:

BONO TALKS TO JESUS
THE ROLLING STONE INTERVIEW
PART I

BONO: I can't believe we are having this conversation. Ladies and Gentlemen, I present to you the first revolutionary, the original rock and roller, the Deity who put the Jeez back into Jesus. God-Man, Humanity's Man, Beatitudes Man, Cool Sandals Man, Shepherd Man, Love Man, Cross Man, Risen Man, Savior Man.

JC: You already did this speech for Bob Marley.

BONO: Well, if I knew I was going to interview you, I would have saved it. You have to admit this interview was a remote possibility at best. After two millenia, why did you decide to do this interview?

JC: Has it been that long? It's good to be back. We have been watching everything carefully, unwilling to interfere out of our love for you. Watching to see what mankind would make out of the gift they were given. Troubled sometimes, heartened others. Angered often by what mankind has done in my name.
Shaken to the core. But I sometimes am so proud--the individual kindness, the faith even now, when my flock, my real sheep, show the love I taught them. Personally, I liked the late sixties, early seventies. I got nostalgic with it--the long hair, the dirty feet, the sandals, the sense of community the energy. The music moved me in ways I could not comprehend. I appreciate all the Hallelujahs and hymns, but they get a little old. It was good to hear somebody get down and dirty. The Rock and Roll explosion--the British bands at first. I loved the Beatles, the Rolling Stones, the Kinks. Although I don't think even I could bring Keith Richard back to life.

BONO: Keith isn't dead.

JC: (Silence) Oh.

BONO: Many people have made the same mistake.

JC: I have to rethink this infallibility thing. Actually I've rethought
it a few times.

BONO: Well, he does show all the signs. Why come back now?

JC: I could say the decades are like seconds. But that wouldn't be quite the truth. I felt I had to get my message across again. I tried posting a few times in Interference, but I got flamed. It was the music that did it. In a human eyeblink, rock and roll turned to disco, then the headbanging thing. I had to spend most of my energy stopping my Father from destroying the world. I made him promise if I could find even one good man on earth, he would not destroy it, even if AC-DC was giving him a divine headache. Highway to Hell was almost a deal breaker. Well, fortunately, I found a good man in U2.

BONO: I'm flattered.

JC: Actually it was Adam Clayton. God really loved the bassline in "Mysterious Ways." But we figured you could handle the interview thing better.

That is so great Bono's Saint, I love it. Your writing is so clever

I love this line especially, not so ironic perhaps.. I tried posting a few times in Interference, but I got flamed :lol:

Does Jesus like Bruce? :wink:

BonosSaint said:

Muggsy, you're actually the reason I started this thread. I got intrigued when you were talking about your influences. Would love to see some of your work.

wow... thanks :)...

I haven't post new things in photobucket but I can show a few old things :)

this is one of my latest drawings... part of my personal journal

dormir2.jpg

this is a pic from my degree project

000_0828.jpg

and this illustration for a book of numbers

6.jpg

Last edited:
These are incredible. I love the emotion in the drawing, the whimsy in your second piece and the cleverness of "6". I keep going back to your second piece. (PS. Just stole it for my computer wallpaper. Sorry.)

Muggsy, those are great.

I especially like the first one; the emotion on her face, the understated colors emphasize the lines. You're very talented.

dandy said:
:applaud:

muggsy, i love your work. amazing. is that first pic a self portrait?

bonossaint, great interview. is there a part ii by any chance?

Someday. Bono had to go do lunch with some world leader so the interview was put on hold.

Back
Top Bottom