The Cost of Three Movie Tickets Per US Citizen could help fight AIDS

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
BluberryPoptart said:

Because the title of the thread made it appear we should feel guilty about having fun and spending our money when people are dying, and I'm only pointing out how extravagant Bono's spending is while preaching to us about movies and coffee cups (both of which I've heard him say myself with his own mouth)

Does anyone remember Bono preaching to us about movies and coffee cups? Was that only in reference to show just how small the cost would really be to make a measurable difference in the AIDS fight? Did Bono ever ask for private donations?

BostonAnne said:

Does anyone remember Bono preaching to us about movies and coffee cups?

I remember it, am I not somebody? It was a video, and it wasn't the only time I heard it. I think it was the one he made for the Christian students, the one with the pink background.

No he never asked for private donations, it's just the point of the thing that he is comparing it to things we buy, when he buys so much more. Yes Bono is speaking out and getting attention for the cause, but it is basically 'lip service.' While that is true his action is better than doing nothing at all, if he expects money and sacrifices by others, I think it would make a bigger statement if he'd publically donate his own money. I mean, as a poor person myself, I can't understand how he could blow $14 million on a small apt. and not even match what the AWF has done with small donations from much poorer people. I think that above all has caused me to lose respect for Bono:(

speedracer said:

I think U2 should charge market price for tickets for the next tour and donate a chunk of the profits.

Say....

$75 upper level
$150 lower level
$200 GA

or thereabouts.

Benefits:

1. Raises money for charitable causes.
2. Just might get more U2 fans on board with these causes.
3. Puts scalpers out of business.
4. More fans get to see fewer shows. (Yes, I think this is a benefit.)

Some of this flies slightly in the face of my previous post. Still worth thinking about, though.

Good idea!

BluberryPoptart said:

No he never asked for private donations, it's just the point of the thing that he is comparing it to things we buy, when he buys so much more. Yes Bono is speaking out and getting attention for the cause, but it is basically 'lip service.' While that is true his action is better than doing nothing at all, if he expects money and sacrifices by others, I think it would make a bigger statement if he'd publically donate his own money. I mean, as a poor person myself, I can't understand how he could blow $14 million on a small apt. and not even match what the AWF has done with small donations from much poorer people. I think that above all has caused me to lose respect for Bono:(

Sorry BP. I thought you were saying that he was asking for private donations and it was confusing me. I understand now.

You don't know what Bono does privately with his money - but certainly what he does publically with his time should account for something. He spends hours and asks of you to spend 10 minutes telling your government to budget for assistance. I still don't understand your bitterness or loss of respect.

What would you do if you were a rich person? Would you deny yourself an apt in New York if you wanted to spend time in New York with your family and avoid hotels? If you are rich, you can afford to have things AND be generous.

The only thing that has made me a little bitter was Bono working the crowds at the Democrat convention (or so I heard on SBS World News, still dont buy it entirely). I know he did the Ted Kennedy thing, no problems with that. But attending a political convention does seem like an unofficial endorsement which doesnt do any good, is he being corrupted by the Washington partisan crap just to try and get power.

Ah, now that explains it nicely, thanks, it was a bit suss having SBS report it the way they did, without proper context - it seemed to run contrary to everything I knew (they are a pretty lefty service, unfortunately the only one that reports this stuff). Bono just regained those 5 points in respect (I play public figures like The Sims, they all have quotients for their Public Speaking, Intellect, Image, Respect). Thanks BostonAnne.

Last edited:
BluberryPoptart said:

What is your gripe? You have no clue how much Bono donates. Yes he spends a lot on a house but you don't know what percentage of his income he donates to charity. You don't know how much time. You are constantly attacking people in here and you don't know the facts.

Back
Top Bottom