the conservative case for same sex marriage

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
we need to be aware of the civil rights of religious organizations to deny civil rights to other people as they see fit. because marriage is "sacred" and all that, for everyone, even if you are an atheist.

my sense is that this will happen. Cuomo seems far too savvy to have put so much into this for it not to pay off, and he's a very popular governor (61% in a land of 9% unemployment) and he will ride this into the primaries of 2016 with enormous cred from the Democratic base.

i don't think he'll fuck it up.

and if New York goes, California will follow.

Consensus Reached on Religious Exemptions in Gay Marriage Bill - NYTimes.com

well??

ALBANY -- The state Senate will vote on same-sex marriage Friday night, its leader said.
"After many hours of deliberation and discussion over the past several weeks by members, it has been decided that same sex marriage legislation will be brought to the full Senate for an up or down vote," Majority Leader Dean Skelos, R-Long Island, said in a statement.
The measure's advocates have said they were optimistic that, although only 31 senators have publicly declared their support for the measure, it has the 32nd vote needed for passage. It remained unclear who the final affirmative senator would be.
Skelos said same-sex marriage was a "very difficult issue" and "will be a vote of conscience."

It was unclear how late Friday evening -- or early Saturday morning -- a vote would come.

Read more: Same-sex marriage heads for a vote - Times Union

201106_gaymarriageprotest.jpg

GOP Saland steps up and does the right thing. I think.
Dem Diaz votes no.

the religious exemptions have been made a part of the the bill. there is an inseparability clause that gives cover for anyone that wants to vote yes.

I am very proud to be a New Yorker now, and I want to give a virtual hug to all the LGBT Interlanders.

:hug: :hug: :hug:

Oh yeah, as a friend of mine said on FB, take that California!

6xvRy.jpg

A state decides on a national issue at the state level; Indy, you must be so proud :D

and now, doesn't it seem kind of idiotic that the Republicans spent a week having anxiety attacks over whether or not Hasidic florists would be forced to provide flowers for two lesbians in Croton-on-Hudson?

33 yes !!

29 no

a great day for America

no turning back now.

I don't understand. Faced with certain defeat why didn't the Republican state senators skip out of Albany, head for the New Jersey border and hold up there until they got their way.

Oh yeah, because they're not smug, impertinent Democrats.

I don't understand. Faced with certain defeat why didn't the Republican state senators skip out of Albany, head for the New Jersey border and hold up there until they got their way.

Maybe because they were voting to give Americans rights, not take them away.

Last edited:

Hey, let's turn this around on Democrats like every other time you ever post about anything.

Let's not talk about the actually story here at all.

So Cuomo signed the bill making it law, right?

Does that mean it's too late to make one last visit to NYC before the inevitable chaos and anarchy takes over the state?

Also, I've scoured E-bay and have yet to find David Tyree's Super Bowl championship ring. I'm sure it'll turn up soon enough.

Hey, let's turn this around on Democrats like every other time you ever post about anything.

Let's not talk about the actually story here at all.

Oh no, you don't want that. When he gets serious he has this face he puts on. . .

Not pretty.

As I seem to recall, that approach ended up not working for the Dems in Wisconsin right? So why would the Republicans consider the same course?

Of course, I understand that they wouldn't consider that course because Reupblicans are humble and respectful, but I'm just saying. . . .

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom