the conservative case for same sex marriage

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Brazil has more Catholics than any other nation.

Brazil's top court approves civil unions - 10-0 vote

still time to sign up with the GOP and join the stone age.

beware, the world is turning (on a daily basis)

Catholics have swung dramatically in favor of marriage equality the past year or so.

bravo for Brazil. there's a reason why it's one of the superpowers of the future.

It may seem ironic, but not really, the most devote Catholics I know are some of the most progressive people I know.

Equality, leave judgments to God, help the poor, love unconditionally...it's just crazy enough to work.

I don't know a single Catholic who gives a shit what the Pope does, so that makes sense. Catholics are predisposed to not really be of the Catholic belief, simply of the title. I am too. I just am more aware of it than other Catholics.

It may seem ironic, but not really, the most devote Catholics I know are some of the most progressive people I know.

Perhaps more that it defies stereotypes.

Yahoo sports

Sun May 08 12:03pm EDT
Why Sean Avery’s endorsement of gay marriage is important

By Greg Wyshynski

That New York Rangers winger Sean Avery is an advocate for gay rights isn't news. When asked earlier this year about a gay player coming out in the NHL, Avery said "I'll stand beside him in the dressing room while he tells his teammates he is gay. Maybe if Sean Avery is there, they would have less of a problem with it."

That New York Rangers winger Sean Avery has politicized that advocacy is news. Because no matter how outspoken a professional hockey player is, they rarely give voice to an issue in a formal campaign.

Yet here's Avery, in an endorsement ad for Human Rights Campaign's "New Yorkers for Marriage Equality Campaign" that was released this week. And hockey's better for it.

According to HRC strategist Brian Ellner, Avery is the first professional athlete in New York to "publicly support marriage equality."

His decision has become national news in the gay community. Avery, to the New York Times, on his decision to join the campaign:

"The places I've played and lived the longest have been in West Hollywood, Calif., when I played for the L.A. Kings, and when I moved to New York, I lived in Chelsea for the first four years," Avery said in a phone interview. "I certainly have been surrounded by the gay community. And living in New York and when you live in L.A., you certainly have a lot of gay friends."

Avery, who lives in the SoHo section of Manhattan and keeps a home in Los Angeles, said some of those friends had wanted to marry, and he saw no reason they should not.

"I'm certainly open to it," he said. "Maybe I can help, and I jumped at this opportunity."

Now, Avery is one of the most divisive players in the NHL because of his antics, and frequently called one of its most hated players. Rangers blog Blue Line Station worries that Avery's endorsement will somehow be used against him by critics: "You can bank on other fans trying to find a way to make this an example of him being 'classless.'" But that's a stretch.

First off, his is not the dissenting opinion nationally. The latest polls show a majority of Americans in favor of same-sex marriage, and that momentum has been building for the last year. It's also a winning issue in New York: HRC cites a Siena Research Institute poll finding 58-percent support for same-sex marriage, and Gov. Andrew Cuomo expects a bill that legalizes it to pass.

Secondly, it's inspiring to see an NHL player have an actual on-the-record opinion on something beyond frivolity. Hate the player, hate his politics … how many fans are going to sit there and condemn Avery for doing this? For speaking out? Isn't it nice to know at least some of these guys give a damn about something?

Granted, this is good business for Avery, too. They're his politics, but they're also part of his brand: Fashion, restaurants, whatever sort of commentary he enters into after his playing days. To say something off the cuff is different than a calculated effort to endorse a movement, at least for someone as well-known as Avery.

Obviously, you can't mention a hockey player and homosexual rights without evoking Brendan Burke and what his legacy inspired. The levels of compassion and understanding that followed his coming out, and the actions of his father Brian Burke after Brendan's death, laid a foundation for players like Avery to not seem entirely out of step with hockey's current social norms.

You also can't mention Sean Avery in support of gays without recalling the problems the New York Rangers have had with that community in years past, with gay fans claiming MSG was a cesspool of homophobia. Having Avery, in his Rangers sweater, in these ads can only be a good thing image-wise and for building stronger bonds with that community.

Avery doesn't speak for hockey, but he speaks as a hockey player, and that's important.

Sean Avery can generate positive PR for an organization? Even through terrible fashion glasses, yes he can.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qGGH3M9NKBI&feature=player_embedded

It's too bad that Avery is an incredible asshole, otherwise I'd probably be a fan of his for his support of gay rights.

This. Seems like such a character off the ice but such a douchebag when it comes to the game that I can't take him seriously off the ice.

Well when we still have an elite NBA athlete using the f word on the court "in the heat of the moment, I didn't mean it" blah blah blah and a pitching coach on a major league team allegedly using crude homophobic slurs on the field in front of fans (including kids)-maybe, no matter what Avery's conduct is on the ice...it's still important that athletes speak out. I don't know enough about hockey, but I have heard of his hockey reputation. Still I think it's good that he did this and I have no reason to question his motives.

I bet many people can be douchebags in their workplace and still speak out in support of gay marriage.

Well he's the former biggest asshole in the NHL. In an unsportsmanlike manner, but in a mocking manner. Not really in a coldhearted manner with something like a Matt Cooke or a Chris Simon.

(AP)PROVIDENCE, R.I. — The protests started as soon as Rhode Island House Speaker Gordon Fox sounded the death knell for gay marriage legislation and said he'd back civil unions instead. A cop-out, gay marriage supporters said. A compromise for no one. One man made a sign proclaiming, "Fox Hunting Season is Open."

For the first openly gay House speaker in the nation, the protests were personal. But Fox, who sold ice cream to pay his way through law school and who cites Winston Churchill as a role model, knows something about persevering. About taking the long view. And about counting votes.

"These folks were looking for a champion," Fox, a Providence Democrat, told The Associated Press. "It hurts me to think that I'm not quite their champion at this point. That bothers me. Because so many people were waiting for so long ... but you have to be able to move votes."

Gay rights advocates had hoped Fox would help them make this the year that Rhode Island legalized same-sex marriage, joining Massachusetts, Connecticut, New Hampshire, Vermont and Iowa. Fox became speaker last year, and newly elected Gov. Lincoln Chafee is a longtime supporter who called on lawmakers to pass gay marriage in his inaugural address.

But those hopes faded with Fox's announcement late last month. Many supporters of the measure felt betrayed, saying civil unions treat gay couples as second-class citizens.

"In my opinion he's a self-loathing homophobe," said Gary D'Amario of Cranston, who attended a rally at the Statehouse called after Fox made his decision.

"What was Speaker Fox thinking?" asked the Rev. Duane Clinker of Providence's Open Table of Christ United Methodist Church, a supporter of gay marriage. "I think he forgot he had friends."

Fox said the criticism has stung. But he chalks it up to disappointment and years of frustration.

"I believe they have a higher expectation of me," Fox said, because of his sexual orientation. "I think it's also people that want this badly, that may not understand the process as much. ... When they say `Oh we've now got a gay speaker of the House, now anything is possible.'"

Fox, 49, has served in the legislature for nearly 20 years and came out in 2004 while addressing a gay marriage rally. But he seldom talks publicly about his sexual orientation.

He explains his decision on the vote as a calculated move designed to get gay couples real rights today. While he may have had the votes to get the measure through the House, the measure faced a battle in the Senate, where Senate President Teresa Paiva Weed opposed gay marriage but has indicated support for civil unions.

The measure would allow gay couples to enter into civil unions that grant all of the state rights and benefits given to married couples in Rhode Island. The full House could vote on the measure as early as Thursday.

Illinois, New Jersey, Delaware and Hawaii have passed civil union laws similar to the one under consideration in Rhode Island. Vermont, Connecticut and New Hampshire all adopted civil unions prior to recognizing same-sex marriage. Iowa and Massachusetts also allow same-sex marriage.

Those who know Fox well say that his decision isn't surprising, and that gay rights supporters will one day thank him for it.

"This decision was tougher for him than for anyone else," said William Murphy, the previous House speaker, who endorsed Fox as his successor. "Politically, it was the right move. He's got a bill that will pass. People who look at this objectively will see he's advanced the issue further and faster than anyone else."

Fox is one of six children born to an Irish-American father and a mother of Cape Verdean descent. His father was a jewelry polisher and worked odd jobs to make ends meet. His mother worked as a maid and later made golf balls at a local factory. Fox remembers when the family moved into a new apartment with a view of the Statehouse. He would marvel at the imposing marble dome, and the serious-looking men and women who worked there.

His father picked up extra shifts to send Fox to Providence College, a Roman Catholic school, but Fox had to drop out after a year when his father died. He enrolled at the public Rhode Island College a year later, working his way to a degree in history and political science, and then a law degree at Northeastern Law School in Boston.

Fox officially assumed his post in February 2010, squeaking past California Assemblyman John Perez by mere days to become the nation's first openly gay House speaker – though Perez's election as speaker came before Fox's.

Fox says his proudest legislative accomplishments include the state's public smoking ban, an affordable housing law and a law requiring health insurers to cover mental health treatment.

"I truly believe, notwithstanding all the stuff you hear these days, that government has a positive effect on people's lives," Fox said. "Everyone should have an equal shot at life. An equal chance."

Fox lives with his mother just a few miles from where he grew up. He's been in a committed relationship for years.

He's known as a fast-talking, skillful debater and crafty politician. Fox recently silenced one of his perennial Republican critics by shutting off his microphone.

His friend of 20 years, U.S. Rep. David Cicilline, said Fox wouldn't let his personal life affect his work. Cicilline, a former Providence mayor, is also gay and said he was disappointed when Fox said gay marriage wouldn't pass. But it wasn't disappointment in Fox.

"I know how Gordon really anguished over how to proceed," Cicilline said. "I also know he's a smart politician and he made a calculation that the votes weren't there. People can disagree with the strategy, but I don't think anyone can question his commitment to marriage equality."

let's protect marriage and children from these guys:

Phoenix gay dads adopt, raise 12 happy kids

gayDads2.jpg

PHP4DBF29BA2F2F4.jpg

2%20Gay%20Dads%20Raising%2012%20Adopted%20Kids%203.jpg

NBA Hall of Famer Charles Barkley was asked on Monday about Phoenix Suns President Rick Welts revealing to the public that he is gay over the weekend. Barkley told Mike Wise of the Washington Post that he is certain he played with gay teammates “on two of three teams" he was on.

The TNT analyst said that it never bothered him and he is fed up with hearing about how guys can't come out in team sports.

"First of all, every player has played with gay guys," Barkley said. "It bothers me when I hear these reporters and jocks get on TV and say: ‘Oh, no guy can come out in a team sport. These guys would go crazy.’ First of all, quit telling me what I think. I’d rather have a gay guy who can play than a straight guy who can’t play.”

Barkley went on to say that he believes every professional athlete has had a gay teammate.

“Any professional athlete who gets on TV or radio and says he never played with a gay guy is a stone-freakin’ idiot,” he said. “I would even say the same thing in college. Every college player, every pro player in any sport has probably played with a gay person."

It was revealed on Monday that former Villanova basketball player Will Sheridan told his teammates that he was gay during his career.

Barkley told Wise that gay players pose no problem and said, "we need to outlaw guys who suck at sports.”

Well, there goes the "most Americans believe that marriage is between a man and a woman" meme...

Gallup_gaymarriage.gif

i do think we've crossed some sort of threshold at least as far as culture is concerned. the courts where there a few years ago, and legislation will follow, even if it takes years (look how long it took to get anti-miscegenation laws off the books).

but it is inevitable. and, somehow, straight people will still get married and have babies who grow up and get straight married about 95% of the time, only now that other 5% won't grow up in a world that tells them that they are less deserving of respect or consideration or worth than everybody else.

oh, the horror.

It will happen and 20 years from now the next generation will see it as the right thing to have done and look to their parents like we did ours and segregation and either be proud or embarassed as to which side they were on.

bravo to this:

Several legislators who want to ‘protect marriage’ are divorced, records indicate
By Andy Birkey | 05.18.11 | 8:30 am

In testimony before Minnesota Senate and House committees last week, religious leaders and representatives from religious right organizations cited single-parent families and a skyrocketing divorce rate as reasons to protect marriage from being redefined to include same-sex couples by “activist judges” and “handfuls of legislators.” And GOP members rebuffed efforts by DFLers to include a ban on divorces in a proposed ban on gay marriage. However, a number of the legislators who say they want to protect marriage appear to have been divorced.

The Minnesota Family Council, a main proponent of the anti-gay marriage amendment, calls the effort to pass the amendment “protecting marriage” and organized testimony at the Minnesota Capitol in favor of bringing the issue to the ballot in 2012. The testifiers, who were all affiliated with religious denominations or groups, often said that divorce greatly weakened marriage and that same-sex marriage would spell its death knell.

Bishop John Quinn of the Diocese of Winona lamented the “high rates of fatherlessness” in American society and the “unfair burden of parenting alone” as reasons to protect marriage from gay and lesbian couples.

Dr. Jennifer Roback Morse of the National Organization for Marriage said, “Previous generations of social experimenters have caused unimaginable misery for millions of people. Particular people advocated the policies that led to today’s 50 percent divorce rate and 40 percent out-of-wedlock childbearing rate. None of these people has ever been held accountable,” she said.

On the amendment to bar gay marriage, she said, “Something this significant should not be rammed down the throats of an unwilling citizenry by judges. Let the people vote.”

But several legislators who want voters to ban gay marriage have had unsuccessful marriages.

According to a name, date of birth, and city search in publicly available Minnesota court records, Sen. Pam Wolf, R-Spring Lake Park, was divorced in 2000. She’s a sponsor of the Senate version of the bill that proposes a constitutional ban on gay marriage and voted to pass the bill in the Senate last week.

Alexandria Republican Rep. Mary Franson’s divorce earlier this year was reported on a liberal website, and records with the Minnesota court system match the name listed as her husband’s on her legislator biography page. She’s a sponsor of the House version of the bill.

Rep. Steve Drazkowski, R-Mazeppa, was divorced in 1994. In his first bid for office, the DFL attacked him when he tried to get his child support order reduced. He’s a sponsor of the House version of the bill.

The campaign website of Rep. Tony Cornish, R-Good Thunder, notes his divorce. He’s not a sponsor of the anti-gay marriage amendment, but he was in the last session.

Court records matched the name, date of birth and city of Rep. Doug Wardlow, R-Eagan, for a divorce in 2005. In a roll call vote in the House Civil Law Commitee, Wardlow voted in favor of the amendment.

Rep. Tom Hackbarth, R-Cedar, is legally separated from his wife, which was revealed last November when he was stopped by the police in a Planned Parenthood parking lot with a gun in his vehicle looking for a woman he found on the Internet. He was among the Republicans on the House Ways and Means Committee that passed the amendment by a voice vote.

Sen. Julie Rosen, R-Fairmont, is listed as divorced on her legislator biography page. Her divorce occurred in 2010, years after she voted to force a marriage amendment bill out of committee and onto the floor in 2006 and with then state Sen. Michele Bachmann in 2004. Rosen also was among the Republicans in the Senate who voted for the amendment last week.

Sen. Barb Goodwin, DFL-Columbia Heights, attempted to change the amendment so that if Minnesotans were to protect marriage from same-sex couples, they were also protecting marriage from divorce. She offered an amendment to the GOP measure that would define marriage as “one union” of one man and one woman valid in Minnesota, and when the GOP turned that down she offered an amendment that defined marriage as one man and one woman “for life.” That failed as well.

“If we are going to define marriage in the constitution, and the concern is that same-sex couples would create an unstable environment for children and would be wrong, then we should be able to say that marriage should be once in your life. Once married, that’s the only chance you get in Minnesota,” she said. “I think what that vote proved is that it isn’t an issue of how sacred marriage is. It’s an issue of discrimination.”

The Minnesota Family Council, despite organizing testimony to protect marriage, lined up Newt Gingrich to headline its fundraiser on Tuesday. Gingrich has been married three times; the first two marriages ended after he committed adultery with women who would become his second and third wives.

Several legislators who want to ‘protect marriage’ are divorced, records indicate | Minnesota Independent: News. Politics. Media.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom