the conservative case for same sex marriage

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Oh! Please forgive me!

I was under the delusion that that words had definitions.
Press >>> Play

If you think that a kiss is all in the lips
C'mon, you got it all wrong, man
And if you think that a dance is all in the hips
Oh well, then do the twist
If you think holding hands is all in the fingers
Grab hold of the soul where the memory lingers and
Make sure to never do it with a singer
Cause he'll tell everyone in the world

What he was thinking about the girl
Yeah, what he's thinking about the girl, oh

A lot of people get confused and they bruise
Real easy when it comes to love
They start putting on their shoes and walking out
And singing "boy, I think I had enough"
Just because she makes a big rumpus
She don't mean to be mean or hurt you on purpose, boy
Take a tip and do yourself a little service
Take a mountain turn it into a mole

Just by playing a different role
Yeah, by playing a different role, oh

The boat yeah you know she's rockin' it
And the truth well you know there's no stoppin' it
The boat yeah you know she's still rockin' it
The truth well you know there's no stoppin' it

So what, somebody left you in a rut
And wants to be the one who's in control
But the feeling that you're under can really make you wonder
How the hell she could be so cold
So now you're left, denying the truth
And it's hidden in the wisdom in the back of your tooth
You need to spit it out, in a telephone booth
While you call everyone that you know, and ask 'em

Where do you think she goes
Oh yeah, where d'ya suppose she goes, oh

The truth well you know there's no stoppin' it
And the boat well you know she's still rockin' it
The boat well you know she's still rockin' it
And the truth yeah you know there's no stoppin' it

You recognize the effect and the wreck
That it's causin' when she rocks the boat
But it's the cause hittin on the Cardinal Laws
'bout the proper place to hang her coat
So to you, the truth is still hidden
And the soul plays the role of a lost little kitten but
You should know that the doctors weren't kidding
She's been singing it all along

But you were hearin' a different song
Ya you were hearin' a different song
But you were hearin' a different song

Oh! Please forgive me!

I was under the delusion that that words had definitions.

Here's a couple helpful definitions for you:

i·ro·ny
(ˈaɪrənɪ)
— n , pl -nies
1. the humorous or mildly sarcastic use of words to imply the opposite of what they normally mean
2. an instance of this, used to draw attention to some incongruity or irrationality
3. incongruity between what is expected to be and what actually is, or a situation or result showing such incongruity

sat·ire
   /ˈsætaɪər/
–noun
the use of irony, sarcasm, ridicule, or the like, in exposing, denouncing, or deriding vice, folly, etc.
a literary composition, in verse or prose, in which human folly and vice are held up to scorn, derision, or ridicule.

Last edited:
CNN) -- Fewer than half of Americans oppose legalized same-sex marriage, according to a new poll on the issue released Wednesday, with significant shifts in public opinion on the issue just since last year.

More Americans continue to oppose gay marriage than support it, according to the poll, which was released Wednesday by the Pew Research Center. But for the first time since Pew starting asking about same sex marriage 15 years ago, fewer than half of those polled said they oppose legalizing the institution.

The poll revealed other firsts. For the first time since Pew began asking about the issue, more white mainline Protestants and white Catholics favor gay marriage than oppose it.

"The shift in opinion on same-sex marriage has been broad-based, occurring across many demographic, political and religious groups," Pew's polling analysis said.

The analysis noted that political independents, who were opposed to gay marriage by a wide margin just last year, are now divided on the issue.

The poll -- which combines two surveys conducted from July to September of this year -- found that 42 percent of Americans favor same-sex marriage, while 48 percent oppose it.

In polls conducted in 2009, 37 percent favored gay marriage while 54 percent were opposed, Pew said.

"The public continues to be far more supportive of gays and lesbians serving openly in the military than of allowing legal same-sex marriages," the Pew's polling analysis notes.

Sixty percent of Americans favor allowing gays and lesbians to serve openly in the military, while 30 percent oppose it. Support for gays serving openly in the military has remained fairly stable over the last five years, Pew said.

On gay marriage, the new poll found significant differences of opinions along age, racial and partisan lines.

Americans in the so-called Millennial Generation -- those born after the 1980s -- favor gay marriage by 53 percent to 39 percent, the poll found. Among those born between 1928 and 1945, just 29 percent favor allowing gays and lesbians to marry legally, while 59 percent are opposed.

Among Democrats, 53 percent support legalized gay marriage, while just 24 percent of Republicans do.

And while whites are evenly divided over gay marriage, the poll found, blacks oppose legalizing the institution by a wide margin.

Los Angeles Times | Oct. 12, 2010 | 12:40 p.m.

A federal judge has issued a nationwide injunction stopping enforcement of the "don't ask, don't tell" policy, ending the military's 17-year-old ban on openly gay service members.

U.S. District Judge Virginia Phillips' landmark ruling issued today was widely cheered by gay rights organizations that credited her with accomplishing what President Obama and Washington politics could not.

U.S. Department of Justice attorneys have 60 days to appeal. Legal experts say they are under no legal obligation to do so and they could let Phillips' ruling stand.

http://www.latimes.com/news/local/la-mew-dont-ask-20101012,0,3326093.story

Pentagon Will Abide by Order Against Ban on Gays - BusinessWeek

Republicans leading the way on Civil Rights, Human Rights and equal protection.

20 -30 years from now when the discussion on how gays got their rights takes place.

It will be written and argued that the GOP lead the way.

First, it was the Conservative, Bush Solicitor General, Ted Olson that won the case against CA Proposition 8.

and then it was a Republican group that got Clinton's Don't Tell Don't Ask thrown out!

Pentagon Will Abide by Order Against Ban on Gays - BusinessWeek

Republicans leading the way on Civil Rights, Human Rights and equal protection.

20 -30 years from now when the discussion on how gays got their rights takes place.

It will be written and argued that the GOP lead the way.

First, it was the Conservative, Bush Solicitor General, Ted Olson that won the case against CA Proposition 8.

and then it was a Republican group that got Clinton's Don't Tell Don't Ask thrown out!

Ahh, the party of Lincoln. (Lest we forget.)

A Republican group got the Clinton (D), Don't Tell, Don't Ask policy thrown out.

The Obama (D) Administration challenged the ruling to have DTDA reinstated.

facts are facts. :shrug:

“…a Gay Pride parade, I was at one in Toronto one time—we stumbled on it, my wife and I. It wasn’t pretty. It was a bunch of very extreme-type people in bikini-type outfits grinding at each other and doing these gyrations…I stumbled on one in Toronto one time, with my wife, and we watched this. And there were men in Speedos grinding and doing things, okay, to each other on this tractor-trailer. And I just said that's not right…at a Gay Pride parade, and I don’t know if you’ve ever been to one, but they wear these little Speedos and they grind against each other. And it’s just a terrible thing.”

—New York gubernatorial candidate Carl Paladino, in various remarks.

We left the parade, and stumbled into a bar—that is, with my female wife I’m legally married to and with whom I have potentially procreative missionary intercourse. An NFL game was on TV, and I don’t know if you’ve ever watched one of these contests, but it was a bunch of very steroidal-type athletes in skintight-type uniforms grinding and grabbing and piling on each other and patting everyone’s behind after each play and doing these gyrations and jukes and balletic moves to make catches with both feet inbounds. It wasn’t attractive.

So we fled to a nearby college, my wide-hipped helpmeet and I, and we found ourselves in what’s called a fraternity house during their hazing initiation. I’m not sure if you know what goes on in these places, but it was a group of light-beer-chugging-type students in Abercrombie-&-Fitch-type clothes making each other perform stunts naked and paddling each other while crawling through their legs and reciting obscure historical facts about their organization. And I just said it was wrong.

I felt dirty and left, and I happened to come across a health club with a sauna, along with my XX-chromosomal partner—if you want proof of that, by the way, I always carry around a battery of genetic tests I made her take. I went into the men’s sauna, and she went to the women’s, because she’s a woman. Even describing it is repulsive to me, but since you’ve probably never been to one, it’s a lot of perspiring-and-Eastern-European-type overweight individuals in skimpy-type towels or hirsute nude-type bodies, discussing finance and local sports teams and taking off their skimpy-type wet towels to snap each others’ behinds. It’s just a gross thing.

Before I ran out screaming, one of the men invited me to his weekly poker game. My fairer-sex partner sat in the car while I tripped inside the house and…sorry, I just had a gag reflex while recalling the memory. What I found was a number of balding-type middle-managers in relaxed-fit, dad-type khakis who were seeking an outlet from their unhappy homes and failed midlife expectations by making jokes about the disparate sizes of their own and each others’ genitalia but being afraid or unable to express any real intimacy or vulnerability. Oh, God, hold on, I might vomit.

O.K., I think I’ll be fine. Thankfully, one of the men suggested we go see a new movie playing around the street. I told my womanly companion to come along, and what we saw—and if you’ve never seen this, you’re lucky—was something called The Expendables. It starred ten washed-up-or-C-list-type action stars needing a paycheck and playing experts in a variety of phallic weaponry and sexual-potency-cathected explosive devices who enacted psychological transferences for the audience of feelings of inadequacy, emasculation, and libidinal repression. It was just an abhorrent film, and poorly paced with uninspired cinematography.

I then somehow came across these following scenes, with my feminine spouse nearby or at least in my thoughts: hunting wild animals with another man and sleeping in a tent together in the woods with no one else around; spotting other lifters in the weight room and shouting encouragement about how huge their muscles were; joining the Navy and spending all my time in confined quarters with other sailors for six months at sea; and reading Details magazine.

Each thing was more repulsive and incorrect than the last; I needed a morally pure, family-values-type activity. So I settled down on the couch with my uterus-possessing significant other to watch one of my favorite movies made back when America had its priorities straight.

I just love Top Gun

Carl Paladino’s Points of Pride | VF Daily | Vanity Fair

Talking Points Memo, Nov. 24

The Family Research Council is perhaps the most prominent voice in conservative social politics and the hosts of an annual rite of passage for many Republicans who hope to run for president. And now, FRC is on the same Southern Poverty Law Center list of hate groups as the Ku Klux Klan.

The SPLC gave the Family Research Council the designation due to anti-gay speech from its leaders, which the SPLC says includes calls for gay men and lesbians to be imprisoned. Labeling the Family Research Council a hate group puts one of Washington's most powerful social issues advocates into the company of groups like the Nation of Islam and the now mostly defunct Aryan Nations in the eyes of the SPLC, which tracks 932 active hate groups in the U.S. Groups are labeled hate groups by the SPLC--which made a name for itself by using civil lawsuits to severely weaken the KKK and other white supremacist groups--when they "have beliefs or practices that attack or malign an entire class of people, typically for their immutable characteristics," according to the group's website.

For the Family Research Council, which hosts the annual Values Voter Summit in Washington--an event which this year drew presidential hopefuls like Mitt Romney and Mike Huckabee--the designation comes thanks to the group's standing at the forefront of opposition to gay marriage and open gay and lesbian service in the military. The main offender in the eyes of the SPLC is Peter Sprigg, the FRC's senior researcher and vocal opponent of the gay rights movement. In May, Sprigg told me that an end to Don't Ask, Don't Tell would lead to more American servicemen receiving unwelcome same-sex fellatio in their sleep, part of a long line of reasoning from Sprigg suggesting that gay men are more likely to be sex offenders than anyone else. The SPLC pointed to several other Sprigg comments when deciding to list the FRC as a hate group. For instance, this: "n March 2008, Sprigg, responding to a question about uniting gay partners during the immigration process, said: 'I would much prefer to export homosexuals from the United States than to import them.' He later apologized, but then went on, last February, to tell MSNBC host Chris Matthews, 'I think there would be a place for criminal sanctions on homosexual behavior.' 'So we should outlaw gay behavior?' Matthews asked. 'Yes,' Sprigg replied."

...SPLC Research Director Heidi Beirich told me the FRC is part of a growing list of what the SPLC calls anti-gay groups masking themselves under the guise of conservatism or Christianity. "What this really is is a wholesale defamation attack on gays and lesbians," Beirich said. "Some of the stuff is just as crude if you compare it to, say, the Klan's racism. But a lot of it's a little more sophisticated and they try to make it more scientific even though what they're pushing are falsehoods."

Negotiating the more extreme end of the conservative political spectrum has often been a balancing act for Republican politicians with national ambitions. The more unsavory rhetoric found at tea party rallies, for example, is a problem that most have chalked up to a few extremists, allowing Republicans to embrace the movement without necessarily endorsing the whole "Obama is a Kenyan usurper" thing. The SPLC designation of the Family Research Council as an anti-gay hate group potentially poses more of a challenge for Republicans. Though many conservatives view the SPLC as a progressive group and therefore no more worthy of respect than, say, ACORN, the SPLC hate group label will almost undoubtedly make it into press reports about future events like the Values Voter Summit. That means Republican presidential hopefuls who may want to reach out to gay and lesbian Republican groups like the Log Cabin Republicans and GOProud--which can be good sources of fundraising as well as "I'm not anti-gay" cred on the campaign trail--may have to explain why they publicly praised and rushed to address a group that SPLC is calling one of the worst perpetrators of ugly myths about gays.

In summarizing their findings, SPLC explain their criteria for inclusion on the list:
Even as some well-known anti-gay groups like Focus on the Family moderate their views, a hard core of smaller groups, most of them religiously motivated, have continued to pump out demonizing propaganda aimed at homosexuals and other sexual minorities. These groups’ influence reaches far beyond what their size would suggest, because the “facts” they disseminate about homosexuality are often amplified by certain politicians, other groups and even news organizations...Generally, the SPLC’s listings of these groups is based on their propagation of known falsehoods—claims about LGBT people that have been thoroughly discredited by scientific authorities—and repeated, groundless name-calling. Viewing homosexuality as unbiblical does not qualify organizations for listing as hate groups.

i guess we shouldn't be surprised at the widespread persecution of basic Christian beliefs.

once again, we see who the *real* bigots are -- those who object to people who freely speak their conscience and profess their deepest moral convictions and try their best to live their faith.

for that's all the FRC has ever done.

:lol: :applaud: Excellent piece. Thank you.

I'm still trying to figure out how exactly you "stumble" upon a Gay Pride Parade.

Angela

We stumbled into Sydney's Gay Pride Parade when we traveled there for Popmart. It was a happy accident for us though---Welcome To Sydney, here's an uber-Gay parade. :lol:
Great fun to watch.

OMG...

Store Censors Elton John’s Us Weekly Cover With ‘Family Shield’ | Mediaite

Last night a lady went to a grocery store in Mountain Home, Arkansas, where she was privy to one of the more offensive things we’ve heard about in a long time. The people over at Harps Supermarket decided to put a “family shield” (you know, “to protect young Harps shoppers”) over the cover of Us Weekly. But Harps is not trying to protect kids from Snooki or Kim or any other standard tabloid trash. No, they’re trying to “protect” children from a photo of Elton John, his partner David Furnish and their adorable baby Zachary.

cover2.jpg

cover1.jpg

:doh: :rolleyes:

BTW-
I love what's above the "Family Shield"

Golden Globes Hookups ???
16 PAGES OF HOT PHOTOS! ??? (of white, straight women?)

Perhaps in the future, Harps might decline to stock US Weekly if its shoppers are SO sensitive.

Last edited:
Odds are that baby boy is straight
most all straight males do not want gay men looking at their private parts
if you don't believe me, just take your own survey

who is looking out for that baby's rights??

Odds are that baby boy is straight
most all straight males do not want gay men looking at their private parts
if you don't believe me, just take your own survey

who is looking out for that baby's rights??

No, being homo is a choice and you know these two with their homo agenda will do everything to turn this child gay.

Another innocent soul lost :sad:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom