The case against Mitt Romney for VP

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
He should pick Michael Bloomberg, surely.

Bloomberg might refuse it, however.

One thing to be said for Romney, he does have the capability of running a business, not a bad asset to have at this point in time.

Bloomberg won't do it in a million years.

He has no interest in inheriting a massive failure that probably can't be fixed.

Hillary has no interest in running alongside a man who has an abysmal women's rights record, including a lovely 0% NARAL rating and a voting record in this respect completely contrary to her own. Let's get real here.

One thing to be said for Romney, he does have the capability of running a business, not a bad asset to have at this point in time.

Absolutely.

Like I've said once or twice already, the two tickets as of now are comprised of 3 sitting senators, none of whom have extensive economic backgrounds or have ever run a business or a state. Picking ANY governor (preferably Mitt) as VP will greatly benefit McCain and be attractive to the "worried about the economy", "want someone who can/has governed" independents.

i find Mitt Romney to be uniquely loathsome in a way that i seldom encounter in a politician. he's perhaps next to Bush Jr. in my book.

and you can ask diamond -- i'm one to speak up for the Mormons. :wink:

Hillary has no interest in running alongside a man who has an abysmal women's rights record, including a lovely 0% NARAL rating and a voting record in this respect completely contrary to her own. Let's get real here.

Not sure about that- she's a soulless pile of amoral, unbridled ambition

John McCain-Mitt Romney dream ticket - for Democrats

By Dave Wedge | Wednesday, August 27, 2008 | Home - BostonHerald.com | 2008 Campaign News

DENVER - Massachusetts Democrats are pleading with John McCain to pick Mitt Romney as his running mate, knocking the former Bay State governor as the best ticket to a GOP flop in November.

“No one knows Mitt Romney better than the Massachusetts delegation,” said Boston City Councilor and Democratic National Convention delegate Michael Ross. “And there is not a lot of respect for what he has to say from our delegation.”

“He was so unpopular when he left (Massachusetts). People were so disappointed,” said U.S. Rep. Barney Frank (D-Newton) said. “He did zero. He didn’t deliver on anything.”

Cambridge Mayor Denise Simmons said Romney as VP is “a great pick for the Republican party. How can you be the party of the people when your two representatives would not know poverty if it sat in front of them?”

Romney crashed the Democrats’ party yesterday, ripping Barack Obama on health care, taxes, foreign policy and overall experience, saying, “He’s not ready to be president.”

“We’d tell him to go home, if we knew which home he was coming from,” said Massachusetts Democratic Party chair John Walsh, rekindling criticism of Romney’s absences from the Corner Office as governor.

“The fact that this has come down to Mitt Romney shows how short the list of vice-presidential candidates is for the Republican party,” Walsh said. “He’s not what the people are looking for.”

Frank called Romney “a one-man debate” and predicted his flip-flop reputation will come back to haunt him if he joins the McCain ticket.

“The thing about Mitt is he can have debate all by himself. He doesn’t need to come here (to Denver),” Frank told the Herald. “He can debate both sides of all the important issues just by quoting his past statements.”

State Rep. Linda Dorcena Forry, a DNC delegate from Dorchester, said Romney “can say all the things he wants but people from Massachusetts will see right through it and the American people will see through his smoke-screen. At the end of the day, there’s no substance. There’s nothing there.”

Romney is believed to be on a short list of possible McCain running mates, along with Connecticut Sen. Joseph Lieberman and Minnesota Gov. Tim Pawlenty. McCain is expected to make an announcement tomorrow.

Romney spokesman Eric Fehrnstrom dismissed the Democrats’ rants, saying, “The people of Massachusetts have a different view of Mitt Romney as a strong leader who cut spending, kept taxes low and got health insurance to all our citizens.”

As for Romney showing up to rain on the Democratic parade, Fehrnstrom said, “It’s called equal time and the Democrats will be doing the same thing (at the Republican convention) in St. Paul (next week). I don’t know why anyone would be opposed to both sides being heard.”

Back
Top Bottom