The Case Against Homework?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
WildHoneyAlways said:
Right. Like I need you to copy and past a wikipedia link for me. :rolleyes:

It was not necessarily meant for you. It was meant for anyone reading this thread and doesn't understand what I'm referring to. My apologies if you misunderstood my gesture.

Wow. I'm glad you think people with learning disabilities are stupid. That shows a lot about your character.

Why are people with "learning disabilities" in the same classroom with people who could be "honors students"? I'm sorry, but if "Johnny" can't read at an eighth grade level in the eighth grade, maybe he needs to be in a special program that will help him catch up. I don't know what wisdom states that everyone else should have to be held back for the learning disabled.

We don't tell student athletes to slow down for those who are less athletic, and we certainly don't call them "elitist" for excelling at what they do. In fact, go to any small town in America, and they've got a whole damn newspaper section dedicated to them. But the minute we have the possibility that some kids have a higher aptitude than others, we immediately do all we can to slow them down and belittle their achievements.

Elitist bullshit. Maybe anyone with a learning disability should be institutionalized, because god forbid, some kid doesn't want to take an honors class and they are stuck with the "stupid" kids in a regular class.

I make absolutely no apologies for my education. I had several honors and AP courses, and when I went to undergrad, I entered the honors college and was able to take a course load suitable for my intellectual capacity.

Frankly, who do you think you are to tell me or any other kid with a similar aptitude that we should learn less in school? I have my sympathies for those with learning disabilities, but school is meant to be a place for learning--and, like it or not, children learn at different levels, just as adults do.

Melon

Last edited:
melon said:
I've come up with solutions, but you can't solve problems when people aren't interested in solutions

My key word was realistic. Your "solutions" are usually based on your uninformed ideas about classroom teaching, educational law, childhood growth and development, educational politics, and the realities facing all those guilty players you so despise. Like your posts above this one that rail against equal educational opportunity and frankly harken back to the days of institutionalizing the disabled, your solutions to educational problems are naive and mean-spirited.

Irvine511 said:
i'm a proud public school graduate, and i remember well the assumption on behalf of many private school students especially when i got to college that, of course, education was better in a private school.

not always true.

May I ask how wealthy your public school district was? You don't have to answer if you don't want to.

Speaking solely for myself, I grew up the furthest from well-off, and the public school I would have been forced to go to was a shithole with an abysmal record on education. The wealthier neighborhoods about 30 minutes to the north, in contrast, had wonderful facilities and great test scores. Those schools were not an option for me.

My parents made many sacrifices to be able to afford for me to escape that environment, and that's why I get so fired up on this issue. I am not about to tell people with my socioeconomic background that they have to "just settle" for what's given to them.

For what it's worth, yes, I think every student needs a quality education, but our public school systems, for the most part, are failures. Sure, we have our isolated wealthy public school districts, but let's look at the kind of schools that poor rural and urban districts have to deal with. I'm sure as hell not about to forgive these monstrosities for failing America's children, and I'm not about to tell poor parents that they cannot send their children to charter schools, because "it just won't be fair to everyone else." Fuck that. I say we cut loose our public school system completely and unleash so many charter schools as to bankrupt our failed public schools. A little competition certainly never hurt, and, indeed, our entire economy is built on that premise. Why public schools should be exempt from supply and demand is beyond me.

Melon

melon said:

May I ask how wealthy your public school district was? You don't have to answer if you don't want to.

i would have to look it up, but i believe we were one of the 20 wealthiest towns in CT, but we ranked somewhere in the 90s when it came to spending per student (from what i can recall from town meetings 15 years ago).

we actually didn't have wonderful facilities because the town drew it's tax base from property taxes almost exclusively; there was very little business to draw from, and this was why many people chose to live there -- idyllic new england doesn't come cheap.

and this underscores the point that it isn't about money, but it's about the expectations of parents and students. 90% of my graduating class went to a 2 or 4 year college. most of my friends were at ivy-level institutions. most of the honors classes were on par with any university level courses. many of the teachers i had in my public school took advantage of a group of 20-30 highly motivated, generally very bright students and conducted classes on an extremely high level -- most of us got 5's on our AP classes.

it's about environment, not money, or at least not only money.

my point is not to say that public schools aren't hugely flawed, but to say that private education isn't automatically superior, and that in some public schools, the very brightest (there were 2 kids in my class alone with perfect 1600 SATs, to toss out one measure, however incomplete) can be fully challenged, and the parents in my district actually started complaining that the school was too difficult, there was too much homework, that there was actually grade deflation.

and we didn't get the benefit of the guidence counselors my private school contemporaries had.

i suppose this is why i don't want to abandon public education, i just want it to work better.

martha said:
My key word was realistic. Your "solutions" are usually based on your uninformed ideas about classroom teaching, educational law, childhood growth and development, educational politics, and the realities facing all those guilty players you so despise. Like your posts above this one that rail against equal educational opportunity and frankly harken back to the days of institutionalizing the disabled, your solutions to educational problems are naive and mean-spirited.

Why does everything have to be so black and white? Tell me where I suggested "institutionalizing the disabled"? Why don't you say that I eat babies while you're at it? :rolleyes:

I went to a private school with three levels of education in the same building: honors, regular, and remedial. There were some classes that were so general as to not have honors or remedial subjects, and so we had our moments of integration. But when it came to all the core subjects, we entered according to our intellectual abilities. I wholeheartedly support educational environments like that, because I was able to learn at a pace that was fitting of my abilities.

And apparently, the "remedial" students weren't left behind, because, in my graduating class, all but one student went to, at least, community college.

But at the core of all of this, do you remember when I stated the following:

"I've come up with solutions, but you can't solve problems when people aren't interested in solutions."

I'm aware of all the challenges present in classroom teaching, educational law, politics, etc., and that's why I know that real change is impossible. And that's why our public schools are going to continue to suck to high hell, because we can't sacrifice decades-old sacred cows that don't work.

In NYC, there's a teachers union-run charter school that has been posting impressive results (and obviously pissing off all the conservatives who saw charter schools as a way to bust teachers unions), so if you believe that I'm pointing the blame solely at teachers, I'm not. When I said that every actor involved is to blame, I meant it. I certainly think that our over-bureaucratic educational system is certainly part of the equation as to why they're failing.

Melon

melon said:

I'm aware of all the challenges present in classroom teaching, educational law, politics, etc., and that's why I know that real change is impossible. And that's why our public schools are going to continue to suck to high hell, because we can't sacrifice decades-old sacred cows that don't work.

Melon

It does not seem that you are fully aware. Inclusion laws are not going to go away. NOONE has the right to deny a child an equal opportunity to learn. Do you know how many students are not reading at grade level? Even in well off areas? It is not as cut and dried as you make it seem. (ie Jonny is in 8th grade but reading at a 5th grade level and therefore should not be placed in a regular ed classroom)

You also seem to be misinformed on current classroom strategies for dealing with mixed ability students. Dumbing down the curriculum isn't one of them. Going "slow" isn't an option either. I will say, there is a right way and a wrong way to de-track; there is no denying that.

For the record, I don't believe charter schools are the answer to the nation's educational problems.

WildHoneyAlways said:

For the record, I don't believe charter schools are the answer to the nation's educational problems.

And research will back you up on that. Several studies in California, and the nation I believe, indicate that charter schools consistently have lower test scores than their sucky public counterparts.

WildHoneyAlways said:
It does not seem that you are fully aware. Inclusion laws are not going to go away. NOONE has the right to deny a child an equal opportunity to learn.

I'm sorry, but as far as I'm concerned, "equal opportunity" is merely an empty buzz phrase. Looking at the public schools around where I'm living, the only "equal opportunity" I see is "equal opportunity" failure.

And, yes, I know that "inclusion laws" probably aren't going away. Our politicians are idiots, after all, and I'm sure that we'd get a bunch of PAC smear ads claiming that changing "inclusion laws" would be the equivalent of putting a remedial student in a straight jacket and castrating him.

Do you know how many students are not reading at grade level?

Knowing public schools? Probably over half.

You also seem to be misinformed on current classroom strategies for dealing with mixed ability students. Dumbing down the curriculum isn't one of them. Going "slow" isn't an option either. I will say, there is a right way and a wrong way to de-track; there is no denying that.

Looking at dropout rates, test scores, and overall achievement in many public schools, I would say that the current classroom strategies are not working in many parts of the country. I also don't think that merely slapping on a national testing requirement is going to fix this, as Bush seems to think.

Melon

melon said:
I'm aware of all the challenges present in classroom teaching, educational law, politics, etc., and that's why I know that real change is impossible.
Which is so convenient for you. You always claim to know what's going on in education, but your posts make it clear that you really have absolutely no idea whatsoever. And you keep claiming that real change is impossible when I doubt you have any grasp of what immense changes have occured ion the last ten years.

melon said:
And that's why our public schools are going to continue to suck to high hell,

Maybe the ones in your state suck, but my state is doing pretty well considering the population, funding levels, federal interference, and the insistence in California on allowing referenda to establish educational policy.

I bust my ass to make sure every single one of my students achieves to his or her highest potential, no matter what the disablity, the home language, the home life, or the support of a public that continues to criticize me and my colleagues without knowing jack-fuck about what we do every day, 11 or 12 hours a day.

melon said:
I'm sorry, but as far as I'm concerned, "equal opportunity" is merely an empty buzz phrase. Looking at the public schools around where I'm living, the only "equal opportunity" I see is "equal opportunity" failure.

Then run for school board and actually do something instead of babbling on about what you would do. Or do you have an excuse for that as well?

martha said:
Which is so convenient for you. You always claim to know what's going on in education, but your posts make it clear that you really have absolutely no idea whatsoever. And you keep claiming that real change is impossible when I doubt you have any grasp of what immense changes have occured in the last ten years.

Oh yes. "Changes." And, yet, with all these "changes," we're still dealing with all the same problems that we had 10 years ago, if not longer.

In the postmodern sense, these kind of "changes" are merely an illusion meant to placate an otherwise irate public. Yet, when push comes to shove, have these "changes" solved *anything* at all?

Instead, all we get are nice little photo ops where politicians pat each other on the back, and nothing at all changes at the micro level.

If there have been any "changes," I'd be pretty hard pressed to see them.

Maybe the ones in your state suck, but my state is doing pretty well considering the population, funding levels, federal interference, and the insistence in California on allowing referenda to establish educational policy.

I bust my ass to make sure every single one of my students achieves to his or her highest potential, no matter what the disablity, the home language, the home life, or the support of a public that continues to criticize me and my colleagues without knowing jack-fuck about what we do every day, 11 or 12 hours a day.

I'm not about to judge your work, because I don't know how you specifically do it. There are good teachers out there, but there's plenty of bad ones too. Looking at the wide disparity between rich and poor schools, rural/suburban/urban schools, I'd say the whole idea of "equality" is nothing but an illusion. We can cry "inclusion" or "equal opportunity" all we want, but day after day, there are millions of children being failed by our public school systems, which are anything but equal, no matter how many laws try to say otherwise. We can't keep on waiting for 10 years here, 10 years there, because we only get one shot with these kids.

I can't help but be reminded that, had there been a different twist of fate, I might have been another statistic lost in the shuffle within the public school system here. While I was able to get away, I'm tired of the poor always having to settle for "second best" in education. And yet, year after year, that seems to be the case.

Melon

melon said:
rich and poor schools, rural/suburban/urban schools,

I agree with most of this post, but you do realize that schools with "poor" children get shitloads of federal money to do with as they please, while a school in a middle-class neighborhood doesn't get a dime of Title 1 funds?

martha said:
Then run for school board and actually do something instead of babbling on about what you would do. Or do you have an excuse for that as well?

What's the point? You and everyone here have already told me that laws aren't going away. These are laws that I'm aware of and have repeatedly admitted stand in the way of any real notion of reform. Please reread what I've stated in here, and you'll see that I've accepted each time that these laws are a fact of life.

If I felt that change was possible within the current system, I would run, yes. However, I believe our system is broken beyond reform.

Melon

Please tone the rhetoric down a bit, guys. I realize both of you have passionate feelings on this subject for very different reasons, but backbiting isn't going to help move this discussion forward.

martha or WildHoneyAlways, if one of you could perhaps explain a bit about why more public schools are de-tracking, how that's usually managed, and what your feelings are about how it works out, and what the best way to go about doing it is, I would love to hear about it.

martha said:
I agree with most of this post, but you do realize that schools with "poor" children get shitloads of federal money to do with as they please, while a school in a middle-class neighborhood doesn't get a dime of Title 1 funds?

I consider money as only one part of the equation. Mismanagement certainly seems to be ripe around these parts, which is why I stated earlier that there seems to be problems at every level. I don't believe that throwing money at something is a magical fix.

Melon

martha said:
I will tomorrow after I've had some sleep. Although I'll probably work another 10 hour day screwing my students out of a decent education.

This is why I get annoyed by these kind of discussions. Inevitably, teachers take these macro-level criticisms personally.

I work in media, and I'm more than willing to admit that there's some major structural problems in this industry. I'm also not about to lose any sleep if someone criticizes the media either. I do the best I can within this flawed industry, just as I'm sure that you do within yours.

I don't see the point of me arguing this further, as I've said what I wanted to say and I'm more than willing to admit that there's probably not a lot of people who agree with me.

But never fear. I have no power to change anything anyway, so as you all were...

Melon

Last edited:
WildHoneyAlways said:
I have Open House tonight where I'll be sure to tell parents that my school intends to deprive their children of a decent education.

Go right ahead. As they say, "honesty is the best policy." While you're at it, make sure to tell those same parents that you'd do a much better job if your salary was doubled; because, as we all know, throwing money at something solves all the world's problems!

Public schools are clearly blameless in every instance and are above criticism. How dare the public expect accountability from their public institutions. A poorly performing corporation would see its CEO fired and/or Board of Directors replaced, but when it comes to public education, we should just be lucky that they get any education at all. And when public schools ask for "yet another school millage," we should always vote "yes," no questions asked. Nevermind that median incomes have dropped over the last six years across America. Then when that millage is approved, make sure to approve the next one that pops up on the ballot next year. After all, those poor test scores are because the schools just don't have enough money!

For students like Devlin, who don't want to read fifth grade material in the eighth grade, well, they're just ungrateful elitists, of course. Be happy that you can read at all. And as for all those urban parents who beg for a chance for their children to enter charter schools--and openly weep if their children don't win the lottery to enter one--they're obviously looking for lower standards for their children, and we should do all that we can to close those charter schools to protect them from themselves.

Honestly, if you want to make petulant passive-aggressive arguments like this again, be my guest. I'm quite good at arguing like this.

Melon

Last edited:
Well, I teach private school not public school so I'm afraid I don't have much to add on that topic. . .

As for homework, none of the teachers in our school load on the kind of excessive homework described here. I give the most, probably, to my freshman students. It usually involves reading 10-20 pages a day for literature class, Algebra homework, and about one composition a week. In World History I do a lot of project oriented work, but also lecture in class, and assign those dreaded "read the pages and answer the questions." The kids skim, I know it, and I don't like it, but I worry that they won't read at all if I don't assign some sort of follow up. Today's class actually seemed productive. . .we read the material together, with a lot of stopping to review what we'd read, discuss it, and I'd expand on what was found in the textbook. The kids were engaged and even my two Chinese-Korean ESL students seemed to be involved. At the end of the class, I assigned the questions to review and reinforce what we'd gone through in class. We'll see tomorrow when we go over the homework in class how effective it was. My 5/6 grade math students generally finish most if not all of their assignments in class.

My 7/8 math students do part of their assignments in class and finish the rest at home. For Geography, it's a mix of activities and the read the section and you have the option of either taking a quiz the next day or answering the questions (Or you can opt to do both the questions AND the quiz with the quiz points added as extra credit). Right now we're doing a unit long project called Create A State where the kids create their own nations--great application of Geography concepts. . .

So that's me. I guess I'm all for balance. Homework in tiny amounts early on, increasing as the kids get older, but never consuming the kid's lives.

It's important to note that kids are different too. Some kids thrive on the creative, project-oriented stuff. Some, like me as a student, hated them. I liked the more "boring" so-called busywork because I could zip through it quickly without too much thought. I certainly didn't lack curiosity or interest in academic things--it's just school was a chore for me to get done. Even when the teachers assigned things that I would nerdily do own my own normally (like building a diorama of an Indian village or making a picture book about the Civil War), just the fact that it was an "assignment" just snuffed my interest. I don't think I had ever had any real genuine interest in what was going on in the classroom until college. And my curiosity and desire to learn is the greatest it's ever been as an adult.

I don't know. . .I've got a lot of thoughts on this but it's 9:00 P.M., I'm sick, and I've got homework of my own to do. Grading!

Perhaps I'll weigh in with more later.

melon said:

This is why I get annoyed by these kind of discussions. Inevitably, teachers take these macro-level criticisms personally.

I work in media, and I'm more than willing to admit that there's some major structural problems in this industry. I'm also not about to lose any sleep if someone criticizes the media either. I do the best I can within this flawed industry, just as I'm sure that you do within yours.

Melon

Yeah, but teachers in America at least, have the added burden of being generally reviled by much of the public. So we're more likely to have a chip on our shoulder than say someone in the media industry, which structural problems notwithstanding, is an infinitely "cooler" profession to be in. It's the general condescension, the "those can do, those who can't. . ." attitude in this country that makes many of us likely to take critcisms personally. On the other hand, as someone who works in media the exact opposite happens more often than not (and I say this as a teacher who moonlights in media-related work). You're automatically accorded a certain level of respect and even awe.

Maybe that says more about what we value most in this country then we'd like to admitt.

At any rate, I actually agree with a lot of what you've said though. I think our educational system is seriously flawed, but to be honest, I can't think of a better way to try to educate great masses of people all at once then what we're attempting to do in our public schools. I've yet to see a better plan of universal education then what we've got going.

I'm spoiled, I admitt. My largest class has eleven students, my smallest four. So I'm able to do a lot with my students in terms of diversifying instruction etc that my fellow educators can only dream about.

WildHoneyAlways said:
I have Open House tonight where I'll be sure to tell parents that my school intends to deprive their children of a decent education.

How did this go? Did you address this on a macro level, describing your overall program of mediocrity, or did you mention the specific stupid students you intend to slow the class down for? Did you tell the parents, those who actually gave enough of a shit to attend anyway, which smart students you've targeted for boredom?

Again, I will remind everyone to please keep your comments civil and avoid deliberate flamebaiting.

maycocksean said:
In World History I do a lot of project oriented work, but also lecture in class, and assign those dreaded "read the pages and answer the questions." The kids skim, I know it, and I don't like it, but I worry that they won't read at all if I don't assign some sort of follow up.
Have you ever considered judicious use of occasional pop quizzes as an alternative to this? I use them in some of my classes, particularly the larger, lecture-based ones, where it's less (or not at all) readily apparent to me which students are doing most of the reading and which aren't. I don't weight these pop quizzes very heavily, since even the best students fail to complete the reading from time to time, but altogether they count for enough that if someone bombs most or all of them, it probably will hurt his or her grade. I make sure the quizzes have a mixture of easy, recall-the-basics type questions (e.g., "What are the three main branches of the Nigerian government?") and more conceptual ones which require more than skimming to answer adequately (e.g. "In no more than one brief paragraph, explain what the major difficulties involved in enforcing the Indian Constitution's ban on caste discrimination are"). This way, I get a reasonably good indication of who's reading and who's not, without boring the students with constant nugget-digging (or burdening myself with more grading than I have time for).
Yeah, but teachers in America at least, have the added burden of being generally reviled by much of the public...

Maybe that says more about what we value most in this country then we'd like to admitt.
I agree with this. Education is (rightly enough) accorded huge weight by most people as a factor in furthering equal opportunity and social justice, and one problematic consequence of this is that those on the front lines of the educational system (teachers) are constantly exposed to intense and often biased scrutiny both as individuals and as groups.

yolland said:

Have you ever considered judicious use of occasional pop quizzes as an alternative to this?

I do that with my 7/8 Geography class more often than with the freshman. I've got four students in my freshman World History class two of which are ESL students who barely speak English, one whose only been speaking English for three years, and one who is a native English speaker but who has some reading comprehension issues. So the whole issue of how to challenge the students that are ready while helping those who are just barely stumbling along is writ large in my class. I think your idea works best in a college setting where most students understand the value of reading without some assignment "requiring them to." AT this level. . .hmmm, I don't know. I'm thinking maybe I need to stick with this concept of kind half read/half lecture with the students in class then have them answer the questions as review and reinforcement. . .or give a quiz the next day--that might be even better--so they go over the reading again on their own to study. . .This is a work in progress.

I do almost all my correcting with the students in class so generally the only grading I do is tests and essays.

yolland said:

I agree with this. Education is (rightly enough) accorded huge weight by most people as a factor in furthering equal opportunity and social justice, and one problematic consequence of this is that those on the front lines of the educational system (teachers) are constantly exposed to intense and often biased scrutiny both as individuals and as groups.

The irony is, given the "weight" we place on education, that educators especially at the elementary and high school levels are accorded so little respect. I think it's more than extra scrutiny. There is a very "American" sense that teachers are "losers." Granted you have your deification of teachers every now and again. . .your "Stand and Deliver" or "Mr. Hollands Opus" but more often than not, the teacher is the butt of the joke. There is the assumption that teaching is "easy" (which I think makes people all the more irate when teachers fail in their work--since the assumption is that any dope could do what they're doing). Americans may value education but they do not appear to value educators and often take them for granted.

Sorry my quote boxes got all jacked up and I don't have time to fix them cuz my wife is waiting for me in the car.

maycocksean said:
So the whole issue of how to challenge the students that are ready while helping those who are just barely stumbling along is writ large in my class. I think your idea works best in a college setting where most students understand the value of reading without some assignment "requiring them to."...I'm thinking maybe I need to stick with this concept of kind half read/half lecture with the students in class then have them answer the questions as review and reinforcement. . .or give a quiz the next day--that might be even better--so they go over the reading again on their own to study. . .This is a work in progress.
Fair enough, I wasn't thinking about the fact that several of your students have significant language-barrier problems. And true, as a college teacher I do have the luxury of being able to assume my students are capable of grasping the basic points and retaining the basic facts from whatever readings I assign...though I have to be careful, with anything below a 300-level course, that the "reading level" not be above a 12th-grade one; many of my students struggle with the way more theoretical issues are presented in "college-level" textbooks, which is part of why I compile my own piecemeal reading lists. And I never factor prose quality into my quiz grades--if the answers are in there, they'll get all the points. Only with essays do I demand clarity and proper structure in their writing, and I make copious comments pointing out and explaining those kinds of flaws...plus with the first paper of the semester, everyone who gets below a B is asked to do a rewrite and to visit me in my office before doing it, which is among other things my chance to refer them to our tutoring center if I feel they need it.

I think a planned-quiz route, following up on reviewing read-for-content questions in class, sounds like an idea well worth trying.
The irony is, given the "weight" we place on education, that educators especially at the elementary and high school levels are accorded so little respect. I think it's more than extra scrutiny. There is a very "American" sense that teachers are "losers."...There is the assumption that teaching is "easy" (which I think makes people all the more irate when teachers fail in their work--since the assumption is that any dope could do what they're doing).
Hmmm...well, I sure don't think elem or high school teachers are "losers" or "doing what any dope could do," but maybe on this count it is relevant that I'm a teacher myself, even if my classroom situation(s) are very different. Then again, I have heard a few humanities profs dismissively describe education curriculums as "fluff," which I've never replied to as I really know nothing about education curriculums (ironically, since this is what my father was a professor of), but personally, I've always thought most profs-to-be would benefit greatly from a little coursework in pedagogy, since typically we don't learn crap about it; the assumption is basically that you'll magically figure it out on your own, perhaps with a few pointers from the profs you TA for (if you're lucky enough to be paired with ones who have time for you).

Why do you suppose this assumption exists? (i.e. about elem/high school teachers)

Last edited:
I think you and I are the only ones still interested in this thread :)

Ah well . . .

I'm going to try my new approach next week! I cant' wait!

As to why people have this attitude towards teachers in America? I'm not really sure. I think a lot of it is cultural. Teachers are authority figures and in our individualistic culture we're not too big on authority figures. We don't like people telling us what to do. Worse teachers are often authority figures without much real power to back up their authority. Police officers are authority figures too, but at least they have guns and take down the bad guys (though you notice that in most films the really "cool" police officers are the ones not in uniform, the underdcover types wearing the badge around their necks when they wear them at all, and often behaving less like authority figures than anti-authoritarian rebels themselves. The "loser" police officers are always wearing the uniform). We Americans respect power at the point of a gun or the smack of a fist. Teachers don't have that going on. In the past 100+ years or so the majority of teachers on the elem level especially have been women, so there may be some sexism too--the picture of the spinster teacher and so on.

In talking with my Chinese-Korean students, I'm learning that there is a very different attitude towards teachers in their cultures. And I believe this has very deep cultural roots going all the way back to Confucius. Teachers are respected deeply in their cultures (though not necessarily liked). There is the very real sense that the teacher holds your very future in his/her hands (especially in China). Americans on the other hand are "self-made", and so our destinies are in OUR hands not that of some dry pedagogue. My Chinese Korean students present their work to me like an offering with both hands, they bow. And they are very respectful. They also expect me to be much meaner than I am. In their home countries teachers routinely shout at and harshly reprimand their students.

There's an excellent book by Tracy Kidder called Among Schoolchildren that really highlights the challenges, rewards, and issues in teaching at the elementary level. An English prof I really respected recommended it to me, and I in turn highly recommend it to you. I actually teach it to my Freshman literature class. It's about 15 years old now, but I believe the issues he highlights are still relevant.

And part of the problem really is that the standards for teaching in the U.S. perhaps are too low. Based on my own experience, I would say that a lot of college-course education curriculum really is fluff. And you do find people, sadly, who can't hack it elsewhere getting in to the education profession because the coursework at least really is "easy." These days most schools require their teachers to earn a masters within the first five years or so of teaching (something I haven't done yet), so I think that's good. And there is emphasis on continuing education throughout your career. But still, I think at the end of the day, teacher training is still lacking for the most part in my opinion. To be a truly good teacher IS hard. . .it takes more than just technical knowledge, there's an art to it too.

Another factor could be the low pay. The American Dream doesn't have much room for someone who chooses ON PURPOSE a low-paying profession with little hope of economic advancement. There's nothing very "free market" or "entreupenurial" about teaching.

Some would argue that teachers are already making "too much" but I'd suggest that says more--again--about the low value people place on teaching. Often those who would make excellent teachers go into other professions because of the better pay and higher status. Perhaps the key is to raise the standards for becoming a teacher dramatically and that the same time that you raise the pay (making them more on par with doctors or lawyers perhaps). But then again, the need for teachers is much greater than for doctors or lawyers (after all based on pure numbers every single person in America will need a teacher for at least 12 years of their lives while most will need a doctor only sporadically and some may never have need of an attorney) so maybe we wouldn't be able to meet the demand. And many teachers are gov. employees and the gov. isn't going to be doling out six figure salaries any time soon.

So you see it's pretty complicated!

One other thing. . .I agree that many college profs. could use a course on how to teach (though you are clearly NOT one of those profs!). There are many who know their content but really don't know how to pass it on to others.

maycocksean said:
I think a lot of it is cultural. Teachers are authority figures and in our individualistic culture we're not too big on authority figures...We Americans respect power at the point of a gun or the smack of a fist. Teachers don't have that going on. In the past 100+ years or so the majority of teachers on the elem level especially have been women, so there may be some sexism too--the picture of the spinster teacher and so on.

In talking with my Chinese-Korean students, I'm learning that there is a very different attitude towards teachers in their cultures...Teachers are respected deeply in their cultures (though not necessarily liked)...Americans on the other hand are "self-made", and so our destinies are in OUR hands not that of some dry pedagogue...In their home countries teachers routinely shout at and harshly reprimand their students.

Another factor could be the low pay...The American Dream doesn't have much room for someone who chooses ON PURPOSE a low-paying profession with little hope of economic advancement.

...But then again, the need for teachers is much greater than for doctors or lawyers (after all based on pure numbers every single person in America will need a teacher for at least 12 years of their lives while most will need a doctor only sporadically and some may never have need of an attorney) so maybe we wouldn't be able to meet the demand. And many teachers are gov. employees and the gov. isn't going to be doling out six figure salaries any time soon.
Very interesting, these points certainly make more sense than any theories I was able to come up with...I think actually Dreadsox has touched on the sexism and low pay points before, now that I think about it. The ambivalence towards authority figures also kind of dovetails with your earlier observation about what we seem to value the most, and how that sometimes contradicts what we claim to value.

There are actually people who argue that teachers make too much? :huh: Wow they must not know very many then. I can see the merit in the "raise the standards, then raise the pay" idea; on the other hand, if professors could be argued to be a precedent of sorts for this (insofar as we're "teachers" with PhDs), I'm afraid it's not the most encouraging precedent, since it's generally only those who teach sciences, business or law (or are coveted superstar scholars, or have served as administrators) who make anything remotely resembling most doctors' or lawyers' salaries. Especially at public universities. It's depressing, though, to think that raising preparation standards might have the effect of hurting supply...seems like a lot of schools have enough trouble meeting demand as it is.

I would like to hear more teachers' perspectives on this standards issue, though.

When I guest-lectured in France last summer, I was struck by the awe or at least intimidation with which their (college) students regard their teachers, too...not sure if this extends to French primary teachers, though.

And I will definintely check out the Tracy Kidder book--I've heard lots of good things about him, never read any of his stuff before though.
I agree that many college profs. could use a course on how to teach...There are many who know their content but really don't know how to pass it on to others.
There is one other big problem here, and that's the whole publish-or-perish thing, or more generally "the rise of the 'research institution' "--the two very much go together. Professors are expected nowadays to increase the scholarly prestige of their departments and their university, not just its reputation for teaching, and that means accumulating a pretty extensive publications record if you want to make tenure (though only about 50% of college teachers are actually in tenure-track positions now--basically, it's the academic equivalent of the business-world practice where you keep as many of your employees in "part-time" or "temp" status as possible, to save yourself money). The upshot of this is an academic culture where teaching is increasingly devalued as a source of merit; too many get away with mediocre classroom performance (i.e. mediocre teacher evals) because their publications record looks so good; non-tenure-track "adjunct faculty" are in effect subsidizing their tenured counterparts' research through their own anemic paychecks; and meanwhile tenured profs have to spend hours and hours applying for grants to cover research expenses which in theory should be paid by their departments, but can't be because there's too many research expenses for the allocated budgets to cover. My father, who was too old to have experienced this pressure himself and died before it really pervasively took root, had heard about it starting to happen at the Ivies, and I remember him remarking once that this was the most ass-backwards tenure criterion he'd ever heard of; if anything, he said, junior professors should have to observe a publications limit, so as to ensure that their early career years remained focused on achieving what their students were paying them to provide--good teaching. While I certainly don't think pressure to publish is all bad--it's necessary for the future of one's field for scholarship to advance, and many admittedly wouldn't contribute much without some prodding, plus so many fields are absurdly saturated from a supply standpoint right now that it's reasonable to respond by increasing some standards--nonetheless, I feel he was right to deplore the ascendance of scholardom at teaching's expense; it can be a great privilege to study with a distinguished scholar, but not if they're lousy at imparting what they have to impart. Especially considering how outrageously expensive tuition has become. And anyhow, inevitably the very idea of "distinguished" winds up being degraded when that gets measured primarily by quantity.

yolland said:

There are actually people who argue that teachers make too much? :huh:

Well, it was implied on this thread. The teachers constantly demanding more pay raises etc. Which would suggest that the poster believes teachers--especially public school teachers--are already making "plenty".

yolland said:
I would like to hear more teachers' perspectives on this standards issue, though.

Me too, but it appears there's not much chance of that happening on this thread.

yolland said:
I feel he was right to deplore the ascendance of scholardom at teaching's expense; it can be a great privilege to study with a distinguished scholar, but not if they're lousy at imparting what they have to impart.

But as you've ably pointed out, that's the reality, which is why I believe college students need to be prepared to "teach themselves" so that they can benefit from the knowledge of a scholar without having to depend on that scholar to "teach" them in the "elementary" sense of the word. I try, even with my freshman, to prepare my students--gently--for the world of college. So far, it seems to be working, as most of my former students that are now in college seem to be doing okay. Though maybe it's a bit vain of me to "take credit" for that. They're pretty sharp kids and I'm proud of them.

Back
Top Bottom