the bullying of Harriett Miers

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Irvine511

Blue Crack Supplier
the Right gets angry:

Some conservatives have called on the president to withdraw her nomination, and a few have urged senators to vote against her. If the president withdrew the nomination, we believe that he would seek a replacement who could unite conservatives — as he no doubt expected Miers to unite them. But that nominee would be tarnished, perhaps fatally, by the suspicion that the president was forced to pander to the Right. The president, moreover, surely does not want to risk looking less than strong and steadfast. The prudent course is for Miers to withdraw her own nomination in the interests of the president she loyally serves.

http://www.nationalreview.com/editorial/editors200510141544.asp

the more i think about it, the more of a godsend Harriet Miers appears to be. no, i don't think she's qualified in the absolute sense, in that i am certain there must be a hundred lawyers equally as good as she is. i am dismayed at Bush's reasons for nominating her, his culture of cronyism, etc.

but the collective right wing meltdown is starting to make me very happy -- they conservatives are in a civil war, there is no way that Miers (at least from what we know) will be the Scalia/Thomas everyone was hoping for, and the Dems have been wisely silent on her nomination.

however, based upon the above paragraph, is the right starting to get out of hand? is Harriet-bashing a new pastime? is it uncouth? undignified? is it right to beat up on this woman in order to save the conservative movement?

what happened to demands of fair up-or-down votes?

to my mind, one word: karma, bitches.

The more I look at this issue, the more I wonder: "what is the next card in the deck"? Miers may be the straw-woman for another nominee.

Ah, but if the Republicans take her down this time, they can't say a whole lot if the Democrats squawk over the next nominee.

nbcrusader said:
The more I look at this issue, the more I wonder: "what is the next card in the deck"? Miers may be the straw-woman for another nominee.

this could be very, very interesting.

but i can't imagine that the right wing freak-out was anticipated ...

BonosSaint said:
Ah, but if the Republicans take her down this time, they can't say a whole lot if the Democrats squawk over the next nominee.

They would anyway. You can bet on that. Most people have short memories, and they count on that.

nbcrusader said:

Are you accusing the Administration of being less than honest?

I dunno...I get the feeling that the dismay from conservatives is exaggerated and almost meant to make the dems feel better about her. The president seems to be giving them the wink-nudge, she's alright. and didn't the majority whip say it's almost certain all the Republicans will vote to confirm her?

Back
Top Bottom