The Bigly 2016 US Presidential Election Thread, Part XV

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
So hang on, when are we investigating Dubya's emails?

Back in 2007, actually

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bush_White_House_email_controversy

Politifact outlines the differences between the Bush email scandal and the Clinton email scandal as follows:

First of all, there’s the difference in who’s at the receiving end of the criticisms. In 2007, it was a group of higher-up White House staffers and advisers (notably Rove) who occasionally used private email accounts for official business. As far as we can tell, though, Bush himself was not suspected as being part of this group. Today, the target is a former secretary of state, who only used private email when conducting official government business.

http://www.politifact.com/punditfac...ia-reaction-george-w-bushs-email-controversy/

Snopes elaborates further:

In plain terms, some 22 million e-mails had been deleted, though the White House described them as "lost" or "missing" — another apparent point of comparison between the Bush and Clinton e-mail scandals. However, at least some of the 22 million "lost" Bush administration e-mails (unlike Clinton's 30,000) were eventually "found."

As in Clinton's case, the Bush administration e-mails were sought as evidence in government investigations. No charges were filed and no criminal wrongdoing was found in regard to Clinton's handling of e-mails. Bush aides were found in contempt of Congress for not complying with subpoenas in the U.S. attorney firings investigation, but no punishment was handed down.

http://www.snopes.com/g-w-bush-lost-22-million-e-mails/

All good points, but I think it misses one major important difference: as far as I am aware, no one in the Bush administration was accused of having sent or received classified information over the RNC server.

Still, the Bush episode was problematic. In fact, one person with whom I find agreement on this is...Hilary Clinton, actually.

https://youtu.be/ak4dpqtBiSE

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference

Last edited:
80-72758548_c75ac682f8a23fc96e17f5a8671ac2c6ed80ca9d.jpg

80-72758567_cef55f043db669744f4c237bc9fff76d13edea13.jpg

:sexywink::wink:

If this were to somehow be the final blow (which it won't be, but yeah), there's some real poetic justice at play, here.

I *think* I don't want Clinton to actually meet any political end, here. That said, I'd much rather her win by a couple percentage points than 10.

I *think* I don't want Clinton to actually meet any political end, here. That said, I'd much rather her win by a couple percentage points than 10.

Nah I want Trump to be hilariously steamrolled and turned into the Valencia flavored crepe he already looks like.

The only reason I don't want that is because I'd rather Clinton not appear to have some overwhelming mandate.

Yes I immediately thought... how many people's train of thought goes "oh more emails Hillary? I guess this means I'm voting for the sexual predator."

I think this is going to induce my eye rolling, and potentially more sympathy for HRC -- feels more and more desperate, and she looks more and more wrongly persecuted.

Especially because there's not a story here. It's just Republican spin. Of the most naked sort.

The only reason I don't want that is because I'd rather Clinton not appear to have some overwhelming mandate.

How else to shatter a party committed to suicidal obstructionism? A party that thinks it's totally fine to have only 8 members of SCOTUS?

If we want a functioning democracy that passes laws, we need to destroy the GOP at the polls, and then Mandela the shit out of the few survivors in the aftermath so that a politics close to that we knew in the 80s and 90s can once again emerge.

I think this is going to induce my eye rolling, and potentially more sympathy for HRC -- feels more and more desperate, and she looks more and more wrongly persecuted.

Especially because there's not a story here. It's just Republican spin. Of the most naked sort.

What's inducing your eye rolling?

Additionally, any rational thinking Republican should be praying for Trump to get dismantled. Again... nobody is going to believe Clinton has a mandate. Even in a dominating electoral victory she might not get over 50% of the popular. Thats no mandate.

Trump being close to winning means he's not going away.

It'll embolden the "it's rigged" crowd, and the Republican party as we know it will be the Trump party for the immediate future (if it doesn't just split in two)

Trump getting toasted will allow the more rational side of the Republican party to take back control.

What's inducing your eye rolling?
The issue with this letter from the FBI is that it has no teeth. He readily admit that the emails might be much ado about nothing, but releases the letter 12 days before the election, anyways.

It gives the appearance of a poitically calculated move, even if it isn't.

If there's something there, they should run with it now. Otherwise shut up.

The issue with this letter from the FBI is that it has no teeth. He readily admit that the emails might be much ado about nothing, but releases the letter 12 days before the election, anyways.

It gives the appearance of a poitically calculated move, even if it isn't.

If there's something there, they should run with it now. Otherwise shut up.

Oh. I mean, as always I want to hand half the eye rolling to the media. They're loving the use of the term "October Surprise." They want this to be bigger than it is. They have to keep Clinton's landslide in check. Call it an election today and they lose money.

There are more legit reasons for Hillary to step aside than there were reasons for Trump to do so, when newspapers, the media and people in here were calling on him to step aside.

I'm stunned the election is as soon as it is. Feels like this will still go on for another 3 years. :wink:

So longwinded I'm surprised to see the result is actually well in sight.

Huma Abedin Swore Under Oath She Gave Up ‘All the Devices’ With State Dept. Emails
The FBI found emails pertinent to its Clinton investigation, reportedly on a computer from her aide’s home. That doesn’t jibe with she told lawyers this summer.
M.L. NESTEL
JACKIE KUCINICH
10.29.16 12:27 PM ET
In a normal election year, a normal candidate’s close aide who caused even minor embarrassment to a campaign so near to Election Day would be whisked away as quickly as possible to avoid becoming a distraction.
But Huma Abedin is not simply a close aide, she’s a critical member of Hillary Clinton’s tiny inner circle that protects and — at times — enables the deeply flawed and secretive Democratic nominee.
So despite FBI Director James Comey’s announcement that the bureau is reviewing emails from Abedin’s time at the State Department reportedly found on a laptop she shared with her soon-to-be ex-husband Anthony Weiner (confiscated as a part of the FBI’s investigation into allegations he sexted with a 15-year-old North Carolina girl), the campaign made clear on Saturday that she’s not going anywhere.

John Podesta, the chairman of the Clinton campaign, told reporters on a conference call that Abedin had been nothing but cooperative with investigators and sat for hours of depositions last summer as part of the civil lawsuit filed by Judicial Watch.
"There's nothing that she's done that we think calls into question anything that she's done with respect to this investigation… we fully stand behind her," Podesta said.
But the new information that the FBI found State Department-related email on her home laptop also calls into question whether Abedin in fact turned over all of the devices she used to send and receive email while working at State.

On June 28, 2016, Abedin said under oath in a sworn deposition that she looked for all devices that she thought contained government work on them so the records could be given to the State Department. (These records were subsequently reviewed by the FBI.)
“How did you go about searching for what records you may have in your possession to be returned to the State Department?” Attorney Ramona Cotca for Judicial Watch asked her.
“I looked for all the devices that may have any of my State Department work on it and returned — returned — gave them to my attorneys for them to review for all relevant documents. And gave them devices and paper,” Abedin answered.
not good

I thought I had posted this already but there seems to be a tendency in here to dismiss everything negative about Hillary with a wave of the hand. I get she has a lot of supporters in here but from what I've read there's a lot of legitimate criticisms that deserve a little bit more scrutiny than "oh a politician is tied up with money what a surprise" or "oh a politician controls her campaign tightly what a surprise".

I certainly don't buy into the whole "she's potentially more dangerous than Trump" crap but it's a bit disappointing to see people waving all this stuff away. I suspect were she running against a candidate who wasn't fucking insane there'd be a lot more scrutiny.

I'm stunned the election is as soon as it is. Feels like this will still go on for another 3 years. :wink:

So longwinded I'm surprised to see the result is actually well in sight.

:lol: so true. Election Day is gonna be so entertaining.

I thought I had posted this already but there seems to be a tendency in here to dismiss everything negative about Hillary with a wave of the hand. I get she has a lot of supporters in here but from what I've read there's a lot of legitimate criticisms that deserve a little bit more scrutiny than "oh a politician is tied up with money what a surprise" or "oh a politician controls her campaign tightly what a surprise".

I certainly don't buy into the whole "she's potentially more dangerous than Trump" crap but it's a bit disappointing to see people waving all this stuff away. I suspect were she running against a candidate who wasn't fucking insane there'd be a lot more scrutiny.

:lol: so true. Election Day is gonna be so entertaining.

Thanks for giving me hope that there are people that post in here that are capable of objective critical thinking.

There are more legit reasons for Hillary to step aside than there were reasons for Trump to do so, when newspapers, the media and people in here were calling on him to step aside.

Because mishandling a few emails is worse than being a sexual predator.

Well yeah, since she's running against a fascist this stuff just isn't relevant right now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom