The Bible - Is it really the book for me?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
So is any singular interpretation...simply by virtue of the fact that others will argue against or believe something other than your interpretation.

Jon

Klink said:
So is any singular interpretation...simply by virtue of the fact that others will argue against or believe something other than your interpretation.

Jon

Jon there are so many variables that go into this "singular interpretation" thing.

There are many who believe that the Bible was written by God.
There are many who believe that the Bible was inspired by God.
There are many who believe that it was written by man.

Don't these three issues need to be sorted out to resolve your question?

Dreadsox,
Absolutely. There's no question. The point I am making is more philosophic than anything. I'm simply trying to highlight that drawing conclusions about morality, even from the Bible, is simply a matter of interpretation. The origins of the Bible would certainly be a noteworthy and important contribution to this discussion. However, lacking answers in that department, to me renders Biblical statements regarding morality even more suspect. If the resolutions to your issues bring in new points then we shall have to re-evaluate. At the moment, though, would it not be irresponsible to draw generalizable conclusions for an entire population on top of large uncertainties?

Jon

Last edited:
nbcrusader said:
Not at all. I am acknowledging those who will argue for relativism.

Relavitism is self defeating.

Agreed. That's why I just plain consider fundamentalist and evangelical conservative Christians to all be wrong.

Melon

"Relavitism is self defeating."

-With all due respect, relativity is the one thing that can allow us to dissect the bible and make us understand the context in which the passages were written under.

If we cannot use relavitivity, then I guess I have "cut out my left eye, and left hand" if I lust.... :drool:

Now how many people do that? :wink:

On the opposite spectrum, fundamentalism allows you to pick and choose whats appropriate for you (i.e. Muslim and Christian fundamentalists who pick and choose passages in teh bible for self-serving reasons).

My point was you are going to get potentially a different answer from possibly all three types of believers.

And I guess I am a relativist then...lol:wink:

Yeah.

Relativism is even more complex than we're allowing, though. There are relativists of all sorts, a few of them nihilists who seem to say that the contradictions of relativity are not self-defeating because contradiction is part of the "hyperreal world" in which we now exist. They're very interesting. It's a long story. Read some Beaudrillard or Lyotard and you'll find some fascinating post-modern writing.

Jon

Back
Top Bottom