The Bible: Infallible?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Is the Bible Infallible?

• Yes! Everything about the Bible is 100% infallible

Votes: 4 9.8%
  • Yes! But I ignore most of the Mosaic Law, so I really mean "No"

Votes: 1 2.4%
  • No! The Bible, while "inspired" by God, was written by imperfect humans

Votes: 32 78.0%
  • No! The Bible is no more important than toilet paper, and I look forward to burning in hell

Votes: 4 9.8%

• Total voters
Dearest Interferencers,

During these troubling times, we must ask each other the most important of questions. This way, I can figure out who will get an invitation on my "Highway to Heaven" ferry when the Rapture arrives.

XOXO

Love, Whortense

I think the Bible was never meant to be perfect. I think that's part of its beauty and part of the plan. It is a book written in collaboration between the divine and us humans. God tells his story. The Jews and Christians tell theirs. It couldn't be any other way. For me God's story is not brought down by being mixed with human stuff or vice versa because whenever two are united they become an even stronger unit.

I love The Bible not because its perfect but because its faithful. I love it not because its infallible, but because among other holy books its peerless.

And I have read most of the major holy books. So I base that statement on some experience. Not for me is a book that's too holy to have any human contribution in it. Any book that claims to be 100% the work of God goes against the inclusive "everyone's invited" God that I believe in. What book can be holy in which humans are not good enough to contribute to its writing?

How holy can a so-called perfect or infallible book be?

So for me the Bible is holy for all of the reasons most people reject it for. It's holy for it's democracy in that dozens of people freely expressed themselves in its pages. It's holy because it never attempts clean up the truth even when it stinks. It's holy because it tells the story of the human family with God as The Parent and because its heroes are everymen and its people, the Jews are everypeople. Its holy because its great religious debates and disagreements are on full view. And its holy because even the process that transformed the Jewish perspective from its narrow tribal focus to one which embraced love for all nations is faithfully preserved.

You can watch the spiritual progress of the human race play out from Genesis to Isaiah to The Gospels. And its in technicolor and uncensored.

I believe that all the books of the Bible were chosen for inclusion according to God's plan, because it works and because no human would have thought to make a holy book like the Bible. (We would have cleaned it up and made everything tidy like the conmen we are) I believe that God made sure that all we needed to know was in it and that what was important to know was perfectly preserved. For me God could NEVER lose control of what he wants us to know.

The Wanderer said:
I thought bubba wrote the bible... inspired by the image of melon?

No, I am but an humble student of the Word of God.

In response to this thread and its rather flippant question, I personally believe that, while the authors WERE otherwise imperfect humans, their minds and hands were guided by God Almighty.

What I am talking about here is not divine inspiration in the normal sense - God creating the universe and man being inspired by the creation. I am talking about direct inspiration, something much closer to the following ideas:

- direct transcription of His Word
- the revelation of specific imagery
- a supernatural insight into God, His nature, and His law
- guidance so that words and deeds are more-or-less faithfully recorded

Can I explain how this occured? No, but I believe that it did occur, and I believe I am moved by the Holy Spirit to draw that conclusion.

So, the original manuscript was, I believe, precisely as God intended it to be. Certainly, the manuscript can be mis-copied over time, and it can be mistranslated into modern tongues, but that's an entirely different issue.

(First, different manuscripts (mss.) say different things; since they cannot ALL be right, error in copying mss. must be possible. Second, different translations can say vastly different things; again, they can't all be right, so error is possible in that area as well.)

But, I believe the Bible is, despite all this room for error, more or less as it should be. We have litterally thousands of mss. to compare and two millenia of scholarly research. I don't believe there are any serious errors in the more trustworthy translations of this age: the message of the book is too consistent for egregious error.

(In addressing whiteflag's well-written post, I too believe that God allows the personalities of the books' authors to shine through - that goes a way to explaining the different perspectives found in the Gospels. In movie terminology, God may be the writer, director, and editer; but the human is the cinematographer, and I believe God allows him to make his mark.)

(In passing, whiteflag's also absolutely right about the lack of censorship in the Bible. The Bible was most influenced by Moses, David, Peter, and their "groupies." And yet, Moses is still an exiled murderer who reluctantly accepted God's command and - in the end - STILL faltered. David's family life was perhaps TOO twisted for Jerry Springer. And Peter frequently looked before he leapt, and he denied he ever knew Jesus after He was arrested. That certainly doesn't SEEM like propaganda.)

All of this does not really address the question of whether we should take the Bible literally - and how we should do so.

(If I may be so bold, many people confuse the idea of believing the Bible to be infallible and the idea that it is literal.)

I believe the Bible is "the literal Word of God," but this could mean a LOT of different things:

- It could mean that God Himself literally took pen to papyrus. Given that many of the New Testament letters have authors mentioned, I find that impossible to believe absolutely. (Otherwise, the "letters from Paul" would really be "letters from God claiming to be Paul," and that would make the ever-honest God a liar.) I also don't think it necessary to believe at all; it's possible (nay, likely) that every book - including the most obscure Old Testament text - had a human author.

- It could mean that the words on the original mss. are literally as God wanted them to be. If you can believe in divine intervention to the degree mentioned in the Bible - SPECIFICALLY the Incarnation (God becoming man) - then God guiding man to write His Word is a trivial matter. It is what I personally believe. I imagine this belief is shared by many Christians here. And it is not a thing to be mocked by other Christians.

- It could mean that God meant each word to be taken literally.

I don't think the last case applies absolutely; there is a spectrum. At one end is the Revelation: I believe that the apocalyptic vision of the Revelation is to be taken as a prophetic metaphor.

As you move to the other end, you start with Genesis 1 and move forward. I believe the details of the early chapters of Genesis are probably metaphorical (though it won't upset me if I find out that God DID create the world in six days of 24 hours). The purpose of early Genesis is probably the broader truths about who we are and Who made us.

As you get closer to Abraham, then Isaac, then Joseph, I think you must start taking things more literally. By the time Exodus opens, I believe we have stepped fully into literal history: God DID free the Isrealites after many terrible plagues. He DID guide them through the wilderness (with pillars of cloud and fire), parting the sea, and giving them His Law on the way.

Then, at the other end of the spectrum, you get to Matthew, Mark, Luke, and John.

The bare essentials of the Gospels MUST be taken literally by every Christian: that Jesus of Nazareth was the Son of God and the Messiah of prophecy; that He was crucified for our sins; that He rose from the dead and is now STILL risen, residing with God the Father; that anyone who believes in Him as Savior and Lord will be with Him for all eternity.

If the above is one giant fairy tale, then - to paraphrase Paul - we Christians are the most miserable people on this planet.

As per the details, there ARE some discrepencies among the Gospels: which women found the empty tomb? what did they find? Those details aside, the Gospels agree: women went Sunday morning and found the tomb empty.

So if the events of the Gospels aren't exact history, they are close enough to be trusted. If the words of Christ aren't verbatim, they are "close enough."

More specifically, before I close, let's look at how one can apply the word "literal" to Matthew 5:29: And if thy right eye offend thee, pluck it out, and cast it from thee: for it is profitable for thee that one of thy members should perish, and not that thy whole body should be cast into hell.

There are several ways to apply the word "literal" to this passage. First, let's apply "literal" to the fact of whether Jesus actually said it. Here, we could mean two things:

1. That He literally said, word for word, the above quote. If we mean the English words, well, we're not very bright. If we mean the original Greek, we're probably still wrong; Christ likely spoke in Aramaic. But we COULD reasonably mean that Christ's words literally translated into the above.

2. That He literally said something with the same meaning. There are verses in one gospel that closely match verses in another in meaning, but not EXACTLY verbatim. In this case, we can take it that the two authors are paraphrasing as best they can what Jesus said at one time... OR they could be exactly noting what He said at different times, during two similar sermons.

Beyond applying "literal" to the fact of the matter, we COULD apply "literal" to its meaning. In other words, we could believe that Christ wanted us to ACTUALLY pluck out our eyes. That seems VERY unlikely. As He did throughout the Gospel, He was probably speaking in metaphor. We shouldn't ACTUALLY pluck out our eyes, but we should recognize the command as a metaphorical truth, that we should stay away from temptations that consistently get the better of us.

To summarize my beliefs:

- The Bible was written by imperfect men directly guided by the will of God.
- Thus, the original mss. written by the Bible's authors were infallible, written exactly as intended.
- However, these mss. can be corrupted through errors in transcription and translation.
- That said, I believe the Bible still says, more or less, what God intended it to say.

- Some parts of the Bible - like the Revelation - are almost clearly metaphor.
- Other parts - like early Genesis - could be metaphorical or literal, but either way contain truths about God.
- Still other parts - particularly the Gospel of the Incarnation, death, and resurrection of Jesus Christ - must be taken ABSOLUTELY literally.

- The details of the Gospel may be slightly off, but not to the degree that any Biblical truth is corrupted.
- Finally, like God did in the Revelation, Jesus Christ often spoke metaphorically; what His parables lacked in fact they made up for in absolute Truth.

whiteflag said:
If the above is one giant fairy tale, then - to paraphrase Paul - we Christians are the most miserable people on this planet.

I recall reading this verse before but can't figure out where, exactly, it's from. Care to share, Bubba? It makes me laugh.

Achtung Bubba said:

No, I am but an humble student of the Word of God.

In response to this thread and its rather flippant question, I personally believe that, while the authors WERE otherwise imperfect humans, their minds and hands were guided by God Almighty.

What I am talking about here is not divine inspiration in the normal sense - God creating the universe and man being inspired by the creation. I am talking about direct inspiration, something much closer to the following ideas:

- direct transcription of His Word
- the revelation of specific imagery
- a supernatural insight into God, His nature, and His law
- guidance so that words and deeds are more-or-less faithfully recorded

Can I explain how this occured? No, but I believe that it did occur, and I believe I am moved by the Holy Spirit to draw that conclusion.

So, the original manuscript was, I believe, precisely as God intended it to be. Certainly, the manuscript can be mis-copied over time, and it can be mistranslated into modern tongues, but that's an entirely different issue.

(First, different manuscripts (mss.) say different things; since they cannot ALL be right, error in copying mss. must be possible. Second, different translations can say vastly different things; again, they can't all be right, so error is possible in that area as well.)

But, I believe the Bible is, despite all this room for error, more or less as it should be. We have litterally thousands of mss. to compare and two millenia of scholarly research. I don't believe there are any serious errors in the more trustworthy translations of this age: the message of the book is too consistent for egregious error.

(In addressing whiteflag's well-written post, I too believe that God allows the personalities of the books' authors to shine through - that goes a way to explaining the different perspectives found in the Gospels. In movie terminology, God may be the writer, director, and editer; but the human is the cinematographer, and I believe God allows him to make his mark.)

(In passing, whiteflag's also absolutely right about the lack of censorship in the Bible. The Bible was most influenced by Moses, David, Peter, and their "groupies." And yet, Moses is still an exiled murderer who reluctantly accepted God's command and - in the end - STILL faltered. David's family life was perhaps TOO twisted for Jerry Springer. And Peter frequently looked before he leapt, and he denied he ever knew Jesus after He was arrested. That certainly doesn't SEEM like propaganda.)

All of this does not really address the question of whether we should take the Bible literally - and how we should do so.

(If I may be so bold, many people confuse the idea of believing the Bible to be infallible and the idea that it is literal.)

I believe the Bible is "the literal Word of God," but this could mean a LOT of different things:

- It could mean that God Himself literally took pen to papyrus. Given that many of the New Testament letters have authors mentioned, I find that impossible to believe absolutely. (Otherwise, the "letters from Paul" would really be "letters from God claiming to be Paul," and that would make the ever-honest God a liar.) I also don't think it necessary to believe at all; it's possible (nay, likely) that every book - including the most obscure Old Testament text - had a human author.

- It could mean that the words on the original mss. are literally as God wanted them to be. If you can believe in divine intervention to the degree mentioned in the Bible - SPECIFICALLY the Incarnation (God becoming man) - then God guiding man to write His Word is a trivial matter. It is what I personally believe. I imagine this belief is shared by many Christians here. And it is not a thing to be mocked by other Christians.

- It could mean that God meant each word to be taken literally.

I don't think the last case applies absolutely; there is a spectrum. At one end is the Revelation: I believe that the apocalyptic vision of the Revelation is to be taken as a prophetic metaphor.

As you move to the other end, you start with Genesis 1 and move forward. I believe the details of the early chapters of Genesis are probably metaphorical (though it won't upset me if I find out that God DID create the world in six days of 24 hours). The purpose of early Genesis is probably the broader truths about who we are and Who made us.

As you get closer to Abraham, then Isaac, then Joseph, I think you must start taking things more literally. By the time Exodus opens, I believe we have stepped fully into literal history: God DID free the Isrealites after many terrible plagues. He DID guide them through the wilderness (with pillars of cloud and fire), parting the sea, and giving them His Law on the way.

Then, at the other end of the spectrum, you get to Matthew, Mark, Luke, and John.

The bare essentials of the Gospels MUST be taken literally by every Christian: that Jesus of Nazareth was the Son of God and the Messiah of prophecy; that He was crucified for our sins; that He rose from the dead and is now STILL risen, residing with God the Father; that anyone who believes in Him as Savior and Lord will be with Him for all eternity.

As per the details, there ARE some discrepencies among the Gospels: which women found the empty tomb? what did they find? Those details aside, the Gospels agree: women went Sunday morning and found the tomb empty.

So if the events of the Gospels aren't exact history, they are close enough to be trusted. If the words of Christ aren't verbatim, they are "close enough."

More specifically, before I close, let's look at how one can apply the word "literal" to Matthew 5:29: And if thy right eye offend thee, pluck it out, and cast it from thee: for it is profitable for thee that one of thy members should perish, and not that thy whole body should be cast into hell.

There are several ways to apply the word "literal" to this passage. First, let's apply "literal" to the fact of whether Jesus actually said it. Here, we could mean two things:

1. That He literally said, word for word, the above quote. If we mean the English words, well, we're not very bright. If we mean the original Greek, we're probably still wrong; Christ likely spoke in Aramaic. But we COULD reasonably mean that Christ's words literally translated into the above.

2. That He literally said something with the same meaning. There are verses in one gospel that closely match verses in another in meaning, but not EXACTLY verbatim. In this case, we can take it that the two authors are paraphrasing as best they can what Jesus said at one time... OR they could be exactly noting what He said at different times, during two similar sermons.

Beyond applying "literal" to the fact of the matter, we COULD apply "literal" to its meaning. In other words, we could believe that Christ wanted us to ACTUALLY pluck out our eyes. That seems VERY unlikely. As He did throughout the Gospel, He was probably speaking in metaphor. We shouldn't ACTUALLY pluck out our eyes, but we should recognize the command as a metaphorical truth, that we should stay away from temptations that consistently get the better of us.

To summarize my beliefs:

- The Bible was written by imperfect men directly guided by the will of God.
- Thus, the original mss. written by the Bible's authors were infallible, written exactly as intended.
- However, these mss. can be corrupted through errors in transcription and translation.
- That said, I believe the Bible still says, more or less, what God intended it to say.

- Some parts of the Bible - like the Revelation - are almost clearly metaphor.
- Other parts - like early Genesis - could be metaphorical or literal, but either way contain truths about God.
- Still other parts - particularly the Gospel of the Incarnation, death, and resurrection of Jesus Christ - must be taken ABSOLUTELY literally.

- The details of the Gospel may be slightly off, but not to the degree that any Biblical truth is corrupted.
- Finally, like God did in the Revelation, Jesus Christ often spoke metaphorically; what His parables lacked in fact they made up for in absolute Truth.

i think this thread was meant to be a joke, but thanks for the written chapter ;).

DrTeeth said:
OK, so who's the person I'm gonna burn in Hell with?

Oh and Speedracer ---> :no: :eyebrow:

Please. The original post had no purpose other than to irritate people. And that's all I'm going to say about it.

Se7en said:
I recall reading this verse before but can't figure out where, exactly, it's from. Care to share, Bubba? It makes me laugh.

It is from 1 Corinthians 15, what is easily becoming one of my favorite chapters in the Bible:

Now, since our message is that Christ has been raised from death, how can some of you say that the dead will not be raised to life? If that is true, it means that Christ was not raised; and if Christ has not been raised from death, then we have nothing to preach and you have nothing to believe. More than that, we are shown to be lying about God, because we said that he raised Christ from death?but if it is true that the dead are not raised to life, then he did not raise Christ. For if the dead are not raised, neither has Christ been raised. And if Christ has not been raised, then your faith is a delusion and you are still lost in your sins. It would also mean that the believers in Christ who have died are lost. If our hope in Christ is good for this life only and no more, then we deserve more pity than anyone else in all the world. - 1 Corinthians 15:12-19.

To be honest, I'm not sure what's so amusing about the verse: it emphasizes the folly of Christianity if Christ wasn't raised from the dead. But it begs the question: what if Jesus Christ DID return from the grave? If we are the most pitiful if we're wrong, what if we're right?

CannibalisticArtist said:
i think this thread was meant to be a joke, but thanks for the written chapter ;).

No problem. This thread was a lemon; I figured I'd make lemonade.

Bubba

My simple-minded, uneducated view?

Bible - infallible
people - fallible

Thus human interpretation throughout the years is strewn with error and misconception. Doesn't make the source material flawed.

This is precisely why I don't practice any particular religion. Whether or not the Bible is the word of God, it has been written and rewritten by fallable humans. Over the years, "religious leaders" have rewritten the bible (think King James Version) to make it into what they want. Even in it's purest form, these writings are still interpreted by humans.

The Bible is truly just a work of Literature, and can be taken to mean just about anything. In past years, it has been interpreted to say that slavery or homosexuality is natural and acceptable, or it can be interpereted to say the opposite. Who is any one human, or any one religion to say that "this is what God meant by this?"

I just don't think it's my place, or anyone else's for that matter, to interperet the language/writing of God.

Certainly, the Bible can be twisted to mean many different things - just like any other work of literature - but that doesn't mean that it is merely another work of literature.

While the Bible has been used in the past to justify slavery, Christians believe that this was a twisting of what the Bible actually says - it was mostly the result of taking verses out of context, interpreting one or two verses in a way that contradicts the Bible as a whole.

On the other hand, we have other interpretations - such as the interpretation that we are to love our neighbor and our enemy as ourselves. This interpretation of individual passages is consistent with the Bible as a whole; it can be concluded that this interpretation IS what the Bible really says.

The Bible is like a map: if you use anything other than the indicated "North" to align your map to magnetic north, the map will certainly be inconsistent and inaccurate.

But it's possible - and Christians believe - that if you align the map correctly (and one CAN determine if it's aligned correctly) then it is an accurate guide.

I wouldn't say that the bible means nothing. In most cases it is all we have in the case of history.
Eveyone belives in the bible, we just all have different interperitations. For example, an Atheist may not believe that the world exist under the supervision of a god, but they do believe that world exists. They may not belive that Jesus was the son of god, but they do beleive that Jesus was born, just not in the way the bible says.
See? different interperitations.

edited to point out that this was my 500th post and I'm now a War Child. Yes!

Last edited:
it only depends with what type and how much of this " knowledge " your brains are full of , some people are just like zombies , i'm for buddism or Ja Rastafari :yes: :yes: :yes:

I think someone (I forget who) states that the Biblical support for slavery is a misinterpretation (I can only imagine my descendents 150 years later saying that Biblical support for homophobia is a misinterpretation, but I digress...). I do think it is quite difficult to misinterpret this:

Exodus 21:1-7: ""These are the rules you shall lay before [slaves]. When you purchase a Hebrew slave, he is to serve you for six years, but in the seventh year he shall be given his freedom without cost. If he comes into service alone, he shall leave alone; if he comes with a wife, his wife shall leave with him. But if his master gives him a wife and she bears him sons or daughters, the woman and her children shall remain the master's property and the man shall leave alone. If, however, the slave declares, 'I am devoted to my master and my wife and children; I will not go free,' his master shall bring him to God and there, at the door or doorpost, he shall pierce his ear with an awl, thus keeping him as his slave forever. 'When a man sells his daughter as a slave, she shall not go free as male slaves do.'"

And if we wish to start talking about that arbitrary distinction between ritual Mosaic Law and actual Mosaic Law (I believe all of it was cast out in favor of the Golden Rule), let's visit the New Testament:

Titus 2:9-10: "Slaves are to be under the control of their masters in all respects, giving them satisfaction, not talking back to them or stealing from them, but exhibiting complete good faith, so as to adorn the doctrine of God our savior in every way."

In fact, even Jesus, supposedly, supports slavery:

Matthew 10:24-25: "No disciple is above his teacher, no slave above his master. It is enough for the disciple that he become like his teacher, for the slave that he become like his master. If they have called the master of the house Beelzebul, how much more those of his household!"

This is perhaps why I've never really thought terribly highly of the Bible as an "infallible" work, because here we have support of an obviously repugnant institution. Even back in the Roman Empire, it is no less repugnant, as slaves were often made of cities and civilizations that the Romans conquered. And, yet, God supposedly supports it? Equally, I don't believe that God is homophobic, because, quite simply, there seems to be a lot of words put into His mouth even in the Bible that simply reflect biases and customs of the time. If God is timeless, which I believe, then why does "His book" always reflects cultural trends and biases of the time?

While GOP-Controlled Whortense may have voted for an enthusiastic #1 (;)), I'm a complete #3.

Melon

melon said:
In fact, even Jesus, supposedly, supports slavery:

Matthew 10:24-25: "No disciple is above his teacher, no slave above his master. It is enough for the disciple that he become like his teacher, for the slave that he become like his master. If they have called the master of the house Beelzebul, how much more those of his household!"

But from this passage, could it not be inferred that Jesus is decreeing that slaves are the EQUALS of their masters (no more, no less)?

...Just my liberal Methodist interpretation...

~U2Alabama

Back
Top Bottom