The Bhagavad Gita

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

indra

ONE love, blood, life
A very dear man suggested that I read The Bhagavad Gita, which I am currently doing. I am finding it an amazingly gentle, peaceful, beautiful book. Unlike most religious books I have read, this book, quite frankly, doesn't tick me off.

I suppose my opinions of these are coloured by my upbringing, but I never have been able to accept the Bible, for instance, as anything more than a general guide for leading a decent life. I was raised in a Methodist household, but never felt comfortable in the church. I also went to a Catholic High School and then a Catholic college for a couple years, then finished my Bachelor's degree at a Quaker college. I stopped going to regular church services when I was 16, only going to the services I was required to by the college I was attending at the time.

Anyway, I don't mean to disparage anyone else's belief, just wanted to illustrate how amazed I am by my reaction to the Gita. (I honestly didn't expect this reaction. I mostly began reading it to help me understand the lyrics of man who recommended it to me -- he's a singer/songwrighter.) I love what I see as a less punitive, more kind, parent and child relationship between supreme being and the creation of such being. I find I am drawn to the idea that this being has not only created all, but is also present in every creature, every item. I am drawn to the belief that if I don't quite "get it right" in this life that I will have another chance to work on it. That even a little goodness is a step in the right direction.

Anyway I was just wondering what others thought of the Gita. Thanks.

I read the Gita a long time ago. While I have become happy with my adoptive faith, Catholicism, I recall the Gita as a profound and moving book. It's well worth reading no matter what your religion is. My own younger sister gets alot of her spiritual guidance from it. It's a great book.

The Bhagavad Gita and the Upanishads...

5th chapter, Verse 7

yoga-yukto visuddhatma vijitatma jitendriyah
sarva-bhutatma-bhutatma kurvann api na lipyate

Back
Top Bottom