The Beef With Border Relations

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

cujo

Rock n' Roll Doggie VIP PASS
BSE. Mad Cow. Utter nonsense.

The craze that has all but incapacitated the Canadian cattle industry in America has struck again. For those of you that do not recall, or do not care in the least, a diseased cow of Canadian origin was found integrated with a herd of untainted US cattle back in 2003. This typhoid heifer spread more panic than degenerative health through the beef industry populus, but the economic effects still find resonance for Canadian beef merchants at present.

Today, it seems that a new case of Mad Cow was found in the United States, but this time the origin of the bovine was not been disclosed. Interesting that there is not more information available as of yet, considering the severity of the consequences. According to some news outlets, the Canadian beef industry lost nearly 7 billion dollars due to the closing of the cattle trade border... a result of fear over one cow rather than the fact of its source. An inquiry into the 2003 case saw possibilities of the cattle feed (highly probable that it was US produced) being the cause of the ill-fated cow's condition, but more publicity was afforded to the passport and nationality of the diseased one. The safety standards and practice of operation for Canadian ranchers were shot to the ground, and trust in many exported products to the US began to wan.

During the press conferences back then, the USDA officials and investigators were absolutely unwavering in their speech to avoid implicating blame towards any domestic fronts. All of the responsibility went North of the border. The event was almost as costly as the World Health Organization declaring Toronto an unsafe travel destination a few years ago due to the SARS "epidemic".

Regardless, whether any of those past dealings and inquiries were fair does not matter at this point. If it is found that this new strain of BSE and the cow itself can all be attributed to US raising and supervision, I hope that the information is divulged to confirm this time around. Seeing as Tom Cruise's outburst during a Matt Lauer interview has taken precedence over this story in nearly all news services, my optimism for transparency is pretty low.

My Cow Tip of the day... if it's underhyped, it's probably a cover-up.

:sexywink:

Seriously though, if anyone cares, do you think that the USDA would intentionally downplay a new case, or redirect the blame to an already tainted source? Having seen some of the tactics used in the past, I'm not convinced that full accountability would be accepted. At least, it won't be reported much... that would cost a lot of people a lot of money. Blame Canada.

Last edited:
cujo said:
Seriously though, if anyone cares, do you think that the USDA would intentionally downplay a new case, or redirect the blame to an already tainted source? Having seen some of the tactics used in the past, I'm not convinced that full accountability would be accepted. At least, it won't be reported much... that would cost a lot of people a lot of money. Blame Canada.
i'm interested to see how this plays out myself.

if only tom cruise felt as strongly about beef as he does about anti-depressants. :rolleyes:
My Cow Tip of the day... if it's underhyped, it's probably a cover-up.
unfortunately, this will probably be the case. :down:

cow tipping. :giggle:

Yes it is baseless but when Britain and Canada revealed the first BSE case, borders were shut down, trade ended and cattle farmers have been suffering ever since.

Yet listening to the USDA press conference yesterday made me laugh. US beef is safe, I had beef today, you have a better chance of getting hit by a car going to buy the beef, blah, blah, blah. Canada and the rest of the world better ban US beef from their tables for the same reason other countries have done the same to Canada and Britain. At least for now. Why should the US be treated differently? If nothing happens, then how can they justify shutting down the Canadian beef imports. This would be an act of utter hypocrisy leading to further dismay with the US (your government, not the people persay) especially from Canadians.

Has there ever been a conclusively proven instant of a BSE infected cow directly resulting in the death of a human being?

I am just wondering. I should look it up.

trevster2k said:
Yes it is baseless but when Britain and Canada revealed the first BSE case, borders were shut down, trade ended and cattle farmers have been suffering ever since.

Yet listening to the USDA press conference yesterday made me laugh. US beef is safe, I had beef today, you have a better chance of getting hit by a car going to buy the beef, blah, blah, blah. Canada and the rest of the world better ban US beef from their tables for the same reason other countries have done the same to Canada and Britain. At least for now. Why should the US be treated differently? If nothing happens, then how can they justify shutting down the Canadian beef imports. This would be an act of utter hypocrisy leading to further dismay with the US (your government, not the people persay) especially from Canadians.

The U.S. shouldn't be treated differently, it's just all madness.

I do not recall a human case in recent memory. It's more just a stigma of ill-health... whenever things like this occur the officials try to reassure people that it is not entirely communicable (only the obscure meat cuts might transmit). I'm sure the symptoms are quite different in a cross-species scenario.

Edit: BSE is a prion "organism" that affects neural tissue, so if it was contracted it might be comparable to meniningitis or a degenerative disease. I said it's not entirely communicable since you would probably have to go and eat the raw cow brain or bone/marrow of infected cattle. Small chances for sure.

Last edited:
Strong evidence indicates that BSE has been transmitted to humans primarily in the United Kingdom, causing a variant form of Creutzfeldt-Jakob disease (vCJD). In the United Kingdom, where over 1 million cattle may have been infected with BSE, a substantial species barrier appears to protect humans from widespread illness. As of December 1, 2003, a total of 153 vCJD cases had been reported worldwide; of these, 143 cases had occurred in the United Kingdom.

Well, apparently Japan and Taiwan have closed their borders to US beef. I don't like the idea of people losing their livelihood but the standards should be the same. But since Canada and the US are in the same boat now, those cattle farming lobbyists should shut their trap and allow the USDA to reopen the Canada/US cattle markets.

There have been problems with the US testing of this case involving mixing tissues and mislabeling. But I am shocked at the lack of transparancy displayed by the Department of Agriculture. Our BSE cases were followed immediately by culls of the infected herd and the origin of the cow was announced right away. I have heard reports that the first BSE case in the US which was an imported Canadian cow was not even a downer animal and the meat entered the human food supply. Billions of dollars are at stake for the US cattle industry so I would not be surprised to see some slick stuff going on to protect the industry especially since lobbyists have so much power in the US political system.

Last edited:
deep said:
Strong evidence indicates that BSE has been transmitted to humans primarily in the United Kingdom

But they cite no evidence other than to correlate a drop in human SE after BSE was decreased.

As far as I know, interspecies transmission is not only extremely difficult, but there has not been any direct link established between any of the diagnosed human cases and the consumption of infected beef.

The cow was from Texas. This cow was discovered in November yet here we are in June and they finally determine where it came from. Umm, how can they suggest that their testing system works? How many cows from the original herd have been sent to slaughter? The typical policy after a positive BSE test has been to cull the infected herd just to be safe and test them too. But 7 months have passed, so how many potentially infected cows entered the food system? I think this is an important question.

Personally, I am not worried about the BSE thing but positive BSE tests have devastated cattle farmers in Canada and Britain so I am curious has to how this affects the farmers in Texas and our border issue.

any other canadians feel like going down to the states and beating the shit out of that fascist group "r-calf" or whatever the shitballs they're called?

Back
Top Bottom