the balance between righteousness and mercy

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

popsadie

Acrobat
I am writing this out of a feeling of frustration with a fellow christian...why can't we seem to get all the threads of lovel down? I am a member of a christian forums posting board and I am in despair with the lack of mercy that a poster has shown. Where do we draw the line between discernment and graceful acceptance? I know that I err too much on the other side.....I am perhaps relatively merciful because I realize that I have sinned too much to have the right to judge the righteousness of others. There is a good chance that this poster who I disagree with is more righteous.....but I don't think I could ever even try to talk with him. I don't know...words of a song I love by Pedro the Lion are coming to mind right now..."The bad half live in wickedness while the good half live in arrogance.."

Last edited:
popsadie said:
Where do we draw the line between discernment and graceful acceptance? I know that I err too much on the other side.....I am perhaps relatively merciful because I realize that I have sinned too much to have the right to judge the righteousness of others.

:hug: I struggle with this all the time. Like you, I try to err on the side of mercy, and I get frustrated when legalism rears its head.

I wish I had an answer; I don't even seem to have the gift of discernment. :( Hopefully a more mature Christian here can help. All I can offer is the assurance that you are not alone in feeling this way.

If you are serious about your faith, this is always a struggle. How to resolve this tension? I guess you stand firm on the non-disputables and give loving answers on everything else.

Back
Top Bottom