the awfulness of Nancy Grace

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Irvine511

Blue Crack Supplier
[q]Mother of Missing Boy Commits Suicide
Sep 13 2:30 PM US/Eastern

By TRAVIS REED
Associated Press Writer

LEESBURG, Fla.

Two weeks after telling police that her son had been snatched from his crib, Melinda Duckett found herself reeling in an interview with TV's famously prosecutorial Nancy Grace. Before it was over, Grace was pounding her desk and loudly demanding to know: "Where were you? Why aren't you telling us where you were that day?"
A day after the taping, Duckett, 21, shot herself to death, deepening the mystery of what happened to the boy.

Police have refused to say whether she left a suicide note, and said nothing they have found so far in their investigation of her death has shed light on the whereabouts of her 2-year-old son, Trenton.

Investigators have stopped short of calling her a suspect but have focused increasing attention on her movements just before the boy vanished and the notes, computer, camera and other items seized from her house.

Duckett's family members disputed any suggestion that she hurt her son. They said that the strain of her son's disappearance pushed her to the brink, and the media sent her over the edge.

"Nancy Grace and the others, they just bashed her to the end," Duckett's grandfather Bill Eubank said Tuesday. "She wasn't one anyone ever would have thought of to do something like this. She and that baby just loved each other, couldn't get away from each other. She wouldn't hurt a bug."

Janine Iamunno, a spokeswoman for Grace, said in an e-mail that Duckett's death was "an extremely sad development," but that the program would continue covering the case.

"We feel a responsibility to bring attention to this case in the hopes of helping find Trenton Duckett, who remains missing," Iamunno said.

[/q]

I just read about that, I don't know..to blame someone for a person's suicide seems unfair to me in certain respects. I'm not defending Nancy or her behavior, and perhaps that did push Melinda over the edge. It's like a replay of that Jenny Jones case.

I can't imagine that Nancy is so cold that this wouldn't give her pause and make her change her ways. I wish the old Nancy would come back. I think something happens to so many people on TV - they sacrifice their humanity for the sake of ratings, and they sell their souls to the network higher ups.

I like this comment someone made on huffpo

"Whether the suicide of this women is directly linked to Nancy Grace is unknown to me, or anyone on these posts.

However, there is no doubt that at the very least, this type of digital brutalization that we call "news " now, obviously caused some hardship on the mother.

Yet, here we are, Nancy Grace, Glen Beck, etc, what in the world are they doing on the Cable NEWS Network?

For too long, we treat these programs as fluff, trash and fodder, basically to be watched or ignored. What cannot be ignored more and more, is the damage to the human condition that these attack and hate shows are having on us all.

It's not enough to say, "if you don't like it, turn if off", there is such thing as the super-mind, or the human condition and this miserable poison affects us all.

We are cheapening human suffering and making a commodity of the misery of all our brothers and sisters.

My advice is take this tragedy and make it one more reason to show a little bit of kindness to the next stranger you meet. We can make a better world, a better neighborhood and we can bring light into someone's life. Never believe that the Nancy Grace's of the world are the norm, they are not.

Very sad."

Where was Melinda Duckett? Why wasn't she telling where she was that day?"

Why didn't she answer those questions?

Luckily I don't think Nancy Grace is blowing out the cable ratings.

But that entire family must be going through hell right now, awful stuff.

80sU2isBest said:
Where was Melinda Duckett? Why wasn't she telling where she was that day?"

Why didn't she answer those questions?

She probably didn't know what she was getting into, appearing on that program.

i don't blame Nancy Grace for her suicide.

but i still think she's just about the biggest pile of wretchedness on television.

Nancy Grace is disgusting.

I'm not specifically talking about this case, but her disposition is so vile. I see no reason she should be on TV at all. She represents the worst of human behaviour and it's always on display. When I see her ranting like a lunatic and completely disregarding the basic tenets of criminal law, I am embarrassed on her behalf and embarrassed for myself to have witnessed it.

Bluer White said:

She probably didn't know what she was getting into, appearing on that program.

I'm not familiar with the case. Is she not answering those questions when anyone asks them, or just when Nancy Grace does?

Not that it justifies Nancy's behavior in any way, but allegedly Melinda had placed an ad trying to sell her 2 year old's car seat before he went missing. You have to have a child in a car seat in Florida until the age of 3. That looks suspicious to me, of course maybe she was just buying a new one. There are other issues such as the size of the hole in the screen. Mark Klaas also said there are several red flags in this case, and he out of all people should be sympathetic (and is) to parents, considering the fact that he was suspected in Polly's disappearance.

Whether Melinda is guilty or innocent, the whole thing is a terrible tragedy-and the question of these TV shows remains.

Nancy jumps to conclusions too quickly. I'm sure that applies to many others who have to fill an hour's worth of time.

Glen Beck's appearance on CNN blew my mind. Is he there on his own, or is there an opposite opinion to balance his out? It's like CNN decided to add a low-rent Limbaugh to their line-up. Do you ever think we'll get a cable news channel that is the opposite of Fox? It wouldn't ease the partisan nature of American politics, but I'd surely love to see it.

(AP)OCALA, Fla. — A federal judge has refused to dismiss a lawsuit that claims CNN's Nancy Grace pushed the mother of a missing toddler to suicide through aggressive questioning.

CNN and Grace argued the wrongful death lawsuit brought by Melinda Duckett's family would "severely chill" journalists' coverage of missing-persons cases. But U.S. District Judge William Terrell Hodges on Thursday denied their motion to dismiss the lawsuit.

Duckett, 21, was on Grace's show after her son Trenton went missing from her apartment in August 2006. Grace grilled the woman, accusing her of hiding something because Duckett did not take a lie-detector test and answered vaguely regarding her whereabouts.

Duckett fatally shot herself before the network aired the pre-taped interview.

The family claims Grace's intense questioning caused severe emotional distress that led to the suicide. The lawsuit also claims that the decision to air the interview after her suicide caused the family to suffer severe emotional distress and media and public harassment. They are seeking a jury trial, unspecified damages more than $15,000 and punitive damages.

Duckett family attorney Jay Paul Deratany said attorneys will begin taking testimony.

"There is more information out there to be gleaned," said Deratany. "If Melinda had any information, Nancy Grace stopped the investigation in its track."

Police have said Duckett is the only suspect in her son's disappearance.

A message left Friday for an attorney representing Grace and CNN were not immediately returned.

she makes me cringe.

but i have also worked with a family who has appeared on her show several times, and they had very positive things to say about her. she still calls this particular family (who lost a loved one to a murder) to check in and see how they are.

i don't blame Nancy Grace for her suicide.

but i still think she's just about the biggest pile of wretchedness on television.

:up: Agreed. I can't stand her show, I can't stand watching her, listening to her and wish she would just be taken off the air. She is a horrible reporter, she is a crappy actress, and I cannot imagine her as an attorney! Give me a freaking break. :down:

I've also seen a woman interviewed shortly after this Duckett incident who relayed a similar story about how kind Nancy Grace had been to her family and how she managed to get them in touch with some very good PIs and other people of her own initiative.

But I think that a person's character is much better evaluated when you consider how they treat the people they don't care about than the ones they do. Even the worst sociopath is warm and caring towards somebody. So generally, no, I don't think any better of her.

My wife watches Nancy religiously, I can't really complain considering all the sports I subject her to...anyway Nancy has been really hammering Casey Anthony about the suspicious disappearance of her daughter. Of course Casey is in jail so we're not getting the one-on-one confrontation but clearly what happened with Melinda Duckett, and the pending lawsuit, haven't taken the edge off.

Nancy Grace reminds me of this awful american principal we used to have in Elementary school. I once made this crappy drawing trying to be funny and all the teachers thought it was something sexual and I was sent to the office. I was crying my eyes out trying to tell her that it wasn't my intention and she kept saying that I did in fact draw what she said I did, anyway and right in front of my mother said that she would "nail me to the wall".

And I've digressed, but yeah, that's what this idiot Nancy Grace reminds me of. I hate people who "argue" by harrassing like her and everyone's favorite, O'Reilly.

Back
Top Bottom