The American poor

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

U2democrat

Blue Crack Addict
I hope the tragedy down in the gulf has shown us that poverty is still a major problem here in America too. Rarely, if ever in FYM do I see people discussing the plight of the poor here in America. Don't get me wrong the poor people around the world have it rough too, but let's not let them overshadow those in our own backyard.

Why is it that the American poor are rarely discussed here in FYM? Does it make us uncomfortable? Is it more comforting to think that poverty is "over there"?

I'm just throwing those questions out there, I have a difficult time answering them myself.

I don't have to drive too far in any direction in Alabama to see it. I don't think anyone here in this state seriously denies it. Our governor tried to do something about it in a comprehensive plan a couple of years ago, but the plan was voted down by a variety of opposing interest groups.

I think they are discussed in here, but often times in a divisive manner. Rather than calling for class warfare, why not look for common ground and alliances. The 2 Congressmen representing the Birmingham area, 1 black, 1 white, 1 Democratic, 1 Republican, have done that in seeking long-term solutions (not just "assistance") for the Black Belt region. The Hyundai plant down there is already improving the unemployment rolls.

As much as we like to hate each otherfor political purposes, it's amazing how much we could do if we pulled in the same direction on just one issue.

~U2Alabama

I think basic education is key in reducing poverty. I'm not talking college degrees, just solid, consistant basic education for everyone not just those in wealthy suburbs. Everyone who is capable (and granted there are some people who will never be capable) must have good solid skills to ever be able to escape poverty. We also all need to be well educated in health matters -- including sex ed. We, as a nation, need to put money and support behind education, not just give it lip service.

It won't solve all poverty related problems, but education is a major component in the fight against poverty.

Back home in Richmond I would only have to drive a few miles before I began to see some of the country's worst poverty...for a small city of 1 million the amount of homeless is deplorable. That also means that Richmond has an extremely high crime rate...two years ago I believe it had a higher murder rate than Manhattan.

Something can and ought to be done about the poverty here in America...but I don't see it.

U2Bama said:
As much as we like to hate each otherfor political purposes, it's amazing how much we could do if we pulled in the same direction on just one issue.

I don't think you can reduce disagreements to mere "political purposes." There are many issues on which we disagree, not because it's politically expedient to do so, but because different people have honest and principled objections to particular policies.

Thanks for bringing this up U2dem :up:

I honestly don't know where to even start with poverty in the US...its not as obvious as in other parts of the world I suppose so it doesn't get as much attention, but its there.

Right in the shadow of Disneyland, there are kids living in the most shameful conditions imaginable. They've been nicknamed "the motel kids" and for some them, school is the only place they get a decent meal. They live amongst drug dealers, prostitutes and hardcore criminals simply because their parents are too poor to find decent housing. These motels are filthy and disgusting...roaches literally fall off the ceilings and crawl over the kids as they sleep. There are used needles and condoms in the parking lots (where many of the kids play), the bathrooms are full of mold and substandard plumbing, there are no kitchens or decent refrigration so the kids eat canned food warmed on a hot place, if they are lucky. Some of these motels were demolished and replaced with new, tourist oriented hotels but all this did was push the families into living in their cars or even worse areas.

This, in a city that has millions of tourist dollars flowing in every year. I'm sure many tourists have been shocked to see women with children begging for money right outside of the "Happiest Place on Earth" It's shameful.

And I was one of those motel kids, btw. Thankfully, my entire family has been able to pull themselves out of poverty and none of us has been hungry for quite some time but growing up like that is something I'll never forget.

Needless to say my experience is very similar to U2Bama's as we are from the same place. I also regretted that the special interests killed the governor's reform package. That left a great big budget mess in the state, with several key programs swimming in red ink. There's no way for us to look after our poor what with shenanigans like this going on. :mad: :censored: :censored: :censored: :censored: :censored: :censored: :censored: :censored:

I agree with Indra about education being a key in reducing poverty, but as a student of education, I'm learning that the simple act of providing the education is not enough. How do you make people value education? You do all you can in the classroom to teach the students but what happens when they go home?

I'm glad to see this thread getting some response.

But why isn't this issue discussed much? Do we choose not to acknowledge poverty in our own lives? Is it too painful for us to look at? Is it really easier to talk about poverty around the world because we don't come in close contact with it?

The American poor - that's me you're talking about.

But no one wants to hear the truth about how easy it is in the country to fall into poverty through no fault of your own and almost impossible to get out of once you're there.

Why?

Because most Americans want to put a face of color to poverty when most Americans who are poor are white.

And education isn't the only answer because I have a college degree which means shit in the local economy that I'm competing for jobs for.

In short, the only time that most Americans "care" about poor people is at the Thanksgiving and Christmas food drives or in an emergency like Katrina.

Otherwise, we seldom cross your minds.

Americans overwhelmingly see the poor as helpless and hopeless and write us off.

But there are MILLIONS of us who are hard-working and tax-paying who have as much self-respect as anyone else.

I came from the white middle class and fell into poverty as a single mother of three twenty five years ago and have yet been able to get myself over the poverty hump.

Still, I never forget my responsibility to help those much less fortunate in other parts of the world. :yes:

The working poor are in a terrible position in this country...they're caught in a cycle that they cannot get out of no matter how hard they try, it's essentially a Catch-22 situation.

Believe me Jamila, poor people in the States cross my mind, especialy when the best job i can find in my line of work is a fucking $8.50 without benefits. If hardworking people not can make a serious living, there is no hope for the real poor.

You're correct, Rono, there really is no hope in this globalized economy.

I used to make $8.50 an hour - I now make even less than that.

It's disgusting. :ohmy:

8.50 an hour...so you're probably working hard enough to stay at the poverty line aren't you? That's what's so sad...you can be working several dollars above minimum wage and still be in poverty.....so much needs to be done.

Speaking for myself, I live in a city where (excluding students) a very high percentage of the population is concidered "working poor" and the homeless rate is very high. I, myself, make below what is considered poverty level and get by with help from my family while working towards something better. Poverty is an everyday thing for many in this town, so it's not discussed much. You go to work, try to pay your bills on time and hope your rent check doesn't bounce. You vote for the lesser of two evils who usually don't have much to say about poverty in their campaigns because it's not like their bid for office hangs in the hands of voters who are poor, 'cause their numbers aren't very high.

This is speculation on my part, but maybe people in other areas don't discuss it much because they maybe don't see it on a first hand level? There are a lot of people living in the suburbs who's lives aren't touched by poverty. They don't see life in the inner cities or small towns on a daily basis but they do see the nightly news segments on poverty in the rest of the world.

U2dork said:

This is speculation on my part, but maybe people in other areas don't discuss it much because they maybe don't see it on a first hand level? There are a lot of people living in the suburbs who's lives aren't touched by poverty. They don't see life in the inner cities or small towns on a daily basis but they do see the nightly news segments on poverty in the rest of the world.

Interesting thought...I agree that that probably contributes to the lack of discussion of the issue.

It just sickens me that we have friends and family living like this all around us...but the issue is generally ignored.

Providing a living wage for ALL workers would be a great start. Health insurance for EVERYONE would take it further. But until these are seen as rights that we all deserve, we won't see an end to poverty. A country that supports ideas like an 'ownership society' will see social Darwinism continue.

U2democrat said:
I hope the tragedy down in the gulf has shown us that poverty is still a major problem here in America too. Rarely, if ever in FYM do I see people discussing the plight of the poor here in America. Don't get me wrong the poor people around the world have it rough too, but let's not let them overshadow those in our own backyard.

Why is it that the American poor are rarely discussed here in FYM? Does it make us uncomfortable? Is it more comforting to think that poverty is "over there"?

I'm just throwing those questions out there, I have a difficult time answering them myself.

I do not know why..

I do not feel uncomfortable talking about it in general terms. I do a TON of work with the Lions. I do a lot of work to help the homeless through my church.

When you look at the field of education, I deal with too many children who come to school not having breakfast. I deal with too many children who live in an environment where they are worried about their lives and the lives of the people around them because of drugs and violence in the apartment complex. I deal with children who are homeless, and living out of tents.

It affects me, and all I can say is I bust my ass trying to make their time at school at least the best part of their day. I wish I could say that something I do at school is going to make a difference in their lives down the road, but so much of their lives outside of school is such a tremendous burden, that the education does not always get through and stick.

I am proud of my students accomplishments, many of whom have scored advanced on the state testing. But there are another eight years of hardships and obatacles in their way.....

I have seen one family in ten years make it out and actually but a home. WOW what a feeling.

Last edited:
U2democrat said:

Interesting thought...I agree that that probably contributes to the lack of discussion of the issue.

It just sickens me that we have friends and family living like this all around us...but the issue is generally ignored.

There are privacy issues that get in the way of help I think. Schools are required to protect the identity of homeless children. I am not allowed to go to a local church and ask for help for the family. Many times it feels like the hands are tied. There is great concern about the stigma of being poor and hiding it.

Exactly, najeena!

The problem is that we as Americnas are still livng with a wild west mentality that tries to tell us that if we're not successful than it's all our fault, when it's not always that simple.

In this globalized economy, I can try as hard as I can to improve my life but that doesn't mean that I'll succeed.

Oftentimes, the working poor are working HARDER than those who make more money than they (the working poor) are.

What needs to change in America is a committment to basic health care, basic educational opportunities and basic job security.

But that would mean that the top 5% of the richest Americans might have to share their part of the American pie a bit.

:eyebrow:

U2dork said:

I think you're right. These people never see poor people. They think poverty is something that only exists in other countries. In fact, I know people like this. They have very sheltered lives and aren't curious about people who are different from them.

In the US, we tend to think of poverty in terms of dolllar and cents. For a group that has the luxury of communicating by PC, it may be harder to truly grasp the idea of rich and poor.

Few of us have seen poverty in other countries. Sulawesigirl4 may have the best insight here. Lack of money doesn't always equate to poorness as surplus of money doesn't always equate to richness.

Perhaps it can be viewed in terms of expectations and availability of a lifeline. In the US, if you lose your job, you still have government services. In other countries, all you have is what you carry or what you grow.

I'd suggest that we, as individuals, are the best equiped to help meet needs of others. People in need of help exist everywhere.

Just a couple of comments, nb.

First, computers are available to virtually every one in the USA nowadyas if they want to use one. Public libraries, community centers, etc all have computers available for public use, so just because you're using a computer doesn't say anything nowadays about your socioeconomic status.

Second, I travelled extensively in the 1980's in the Caribbean in some of the poorest countries there. I lived in absolute poverty with my friends when I was there (the stories I could tell).

Undoubtedly the poverty in the Caribbean and throughout Africa has only gotten worse in the last 20 years, but I just wanted to clarify that my allegiance to the world's poorest people comes out of firsthand experience with some of their poverty and, of course, my own.

MOST IMPORTANT:
" In the US, if you lose your job, you still have government services."

Actually no. I just lost my job last month and because of a lot of bureaucratic red tape, I'm receiving NO GOVERNMENT HELP!

I even had to go to my State Representative's office to get her assistance in trying just to get me food stampa while we petition for unemployment.

So not everyone gets government assistance when they become unemployed in the USA.

" In other countries, all you have is what you carry or what you grow."

I do agree with you on this, though, which is why no matter how bad it gets for me, I never forget about those much less fortunate in Africa and do all that I can to help improve their chances in life.

Just my observations. ;)

Jamila said:
And education isn't the only answer because I have a college degree which means shit in the local economy that I'm competing for jobs for.

Mind telling us what your degree is? I'm curious.

Have you considered moving to somewhere where your degree would be valuable?

Melon

najeena said:
Providing a living wage for ALL workers would be a great start. Health insurance for EVERYONE would take it further. But until these are seen as rights that we all deserve, we won't see an end to poverty. A country that supports ideas like an 'ownership society' will see social Darwinism continue.

I look at health care as a pretty high priority, because we're talking about shifting economic conditions right now where corporations are either hiring "contract workers" (a fancy term for "I don't want to pay health care for my workers") and you have companies like GM whose health care costs are so large as to make them non-competitive. In fact, that's why a lot of the Detroit automakers have been actually building more plants in Canada, since they have national health care, while we don't. And, for them, Canada is literally as close as crossing a river to their east.

National health care isn't a rich/poor issue. It's becoming a necessary issue for economic competitiveness.

Melon

Back
Top Bottom