The America I miss.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
diamond said:

and you can thank mr reagan for getting rid of that threat:up:

and for the over proliferation of nuclear weapons that exist on this planet, some we fear that may be in the wrong hand right now.

So let's face, with the good old days also comes shit that will bite us in the ass. Let's all quit looking to the past and start looking towards the future.

Do something about it rather than just reflecting and longing.

yabbys are crayfish type sea creatures. crayfish? they have shells and claws. live in freshwater, perhaps salt as well. i'm not entirely sure if they're edible lol.

kids get kidnapped more these days. Kids get killed more these days, kids get molested more and kids get screwed overall because of all of this... OR because of the proliferation of news and media, the public hears about this stuff more. I am only 22, but i know that today's kids have parents that are correctly concerned for their children. Over protective yes, but can you blame them??? When my parents were growing up in the 50's and 60's they said you could go anywhere and do anything and not worry about stuff like being kidnapped or murdered. Nowadays it happens to an extent that we have things called amber alert. Its not the kids fault, just a sad state of a affairs.

The_One1932 said:
OR because of the proliferation of news and media, the public hears about this stuff more.

Bingo. In the late 1990s, people were polled about youth violent crime, which was overwhelmingly perceived to be going higher and higher. In fact, it had decreased to its lowest levels in years; but media attention to those crimes had gone much higher.

Sad to say, kids were molested and women were raped in the "good old days." Hell, we have the priest scandals and crimes committed by family members were never reported or the children were automatically dismissed as "lying."

At least, these crimes are now reported and prosecuted. That's more that can be said about the past.

Melon

I agree, it's not really happening more, it's just a matter of it being covered by the media. People complain about the press being all over and I do hate the tabloids and certain journalists get under my skin. But I'm glad they covered the sexual shenanigans in the Catholic Church, for example, and, also, did you know that the White House got away with claiming that President Eisenhower had the flu when he'd actually had a freaking heart attack? That wouldn't happen now. Sometimes the media is a total pain; I don't give a rat's ass who's dating in Hollywood, either. But it's still serving a useful function.

Last edited:
rockwell_noSwimming.2.jpg

rockwll4.jpg
bxp56698.jpg

db9
:)

Last edited:
diamond said:

and you can thank mr reagan for getting rid of that threat:up:

can i thank mr reagan for repealing environmental regulations on businesses? because now my parents tell me the water in the lake is too polluted for me to swim in.

can i thank mr reagan for ignoring the AIDS crisis? it's so sad that people have to always use condoms these days, i'm told that people used to NEVER have to use condoms.

One would think that that the basic laws of viral transmission would make condoms a neccisity regardless of what Reagan did or did not do.

Irvine511 said:
but why not idealistic and romantic about the future?

Irvine,

Perhaps you missed this:

BVSS
and
Melon,

The intent of the thread was to take a healthy look back at the good things in our past (nostalgia) while trying to replicate those good things into our present and future lives.

Surely you have some fond memories of your youth.

db9
:)

but nostalgia isn't a look at the good thigns in the past, nostalgia is the reinvention of the past in order to transform it as a source of comfort for when the present gets difficult. is this a healthy way to look at the past?

of course i have many happy memories. but i also have sad memories. one is neither better nor worse than the other. one learns from each, and yes i agree, learning from the past is a great way to make the present better.

but if i ever have kids, they are damn well going to be wearing bike helmets.

MrsSpringsteen said:
In general I think kids today are overindulged-materially and emotionally, ie the parents don't exercise much discipline, etc. The rise in childhood obesity and the problems related to that is largely due to too much computer, TV, video games, etc.

I also think in general kids today are sorely lacking in manners. Many also seem to be lacking in decency and compassion.

I think some parents substitute material things for the work they should be doing-it's easier I guess :shrug:

A-fucking-men! :up:

And this problem crosses all segments of society. I think a lot of kids are ill-mannered and spoiled because their parents are ill-mannered and spoiled.

MrsSpringsteen said:
In general I think kids today are overindulged-materially and emotionally, ie the parents don't exercise much discipline, etc. The rise in childhood obesity and the problems related to that is largely due to too much computer, TV, video games, etc.

I also think in general kids today are sorely lacking in manners. Many also seem to be lacking in decency and compassion.

I think some parents substitute material things for the work they should be doing-it's easier I guess :shrug:

I agree with this. Well said.

Back
Top Bottom