"The AIDS epidemic is out of control in the South."

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Dreadsox

ONE love, blood, life
AIDS tightens grip on South
Region has 40% of U.S. cases, experts report

By CHARLES SEABROOK
The Atlanta Journal-Constitution

The AIDS epidemic is "drastically and quickly" increasing in the South, which already faces a dire shortage of resources to combat the disease, health officials said in a new report Thursday.

"In essence, we're declaring a state of emergency in the South," said Dr. Gene Copello, co-chairman of the Southern AIDS Coalition, made up of health officials in 14 states, including Georgia. "The AIDS epidemic is out of control in the South."

Georgia officials said the findings mirror the course of the epidemic in the state.

According to the report:

? While the South represents a little more than one-third of the U.S. population, it accounts for 40 percent of people who have AIDS and 46 percent of new cases. Georgia, which has 11,193 people with the disease, ranks seventh in the nation for the number of cases.

? Between 2000 and 2001, the estimated number of new AIDS cases in the South increased while other regions experienced declines or relatively stable levels.

? Southern cities represent 18 of the top 25 U.S. metropolitan areas hardest hit by the AIDS epidemic. Atlanta is one of the 18.

? Seven of the states with the 10 highest AIDS rates are located in the South. Georgia's AIDS rate of 20.8 cases per 100,000 population is sixth-highest.

The face of the disease, said the report, is becoming increasingly rural, female, heterosexual and African-American in the South. AIDS is appearing with alarming frequency in rural Georgia, North Carolina, South Carolina, Mississippi and Alabama.

Copello, who is also director of Florida AIDS Action in Tampa, said the coalition compiled the report in response to the region's rising crisis in AIDS and HIV infections, which cause the disease.

The group called for a "bold response" at the federal, state and local levels for funding and providing outreach and treatment to combat the surging epidemic.

"The resources are not available to meet the needs," Copello said. "Unless some crucial steps are taken, the epidemic will get worse. We plan to be very loud and forceful about this."

The South is more greatly plagued by AIDS and HIV infections because of racial and economic differences and a conservative cultural attitude that interferes with attempts to halt the disease, the report said.

More than half of the people with AIDS in the South are African-American, though only 20 percent of the region's population is Black. African-American men are less likely to acknowledge that they are in a high-risk group for AIDS and are less likely to volunteer for HIV testing, researchers say.

Southern rural areas also have poor health care access. "In some states, due to limited resources, persons with HIV must become considerably ill before obtaining access to necessary care," the report said.

Some states, such as Georgia and North Carolina, have waiting lists for residents to receive expensive drugs to stave off effects of the HIV virus. One official said other states, including Florida, were at risk of the same fate.

HIV/AIDS rates also are much higher in communities in which poverty is high and adequate housing is lacking, the report said. In addition, it said AIDS/HIV rates closely parallel the incidence of sexually transmitted diseases, such as syphilis and gonorrhea.

The South, the report noted, has the highest rates for those maladies in the nation.

They're probably still under the delusion that it is a "gay disease."

Melon

melon said:
They're probably still under the delusion that it is a "gay disease."

Yep, dat's what we all thinks down hear.

And weir all smart Baptist Christiuns so wee wont catch the AIDS.

Thar's some gay folks down hear with the AIDS, butt all the ress of us is save by Jesus.

Thar's a man in mi trayler parkk with the AIDS, but he must be a gay cauz he has long hare and I seen him nekkid in my cuzzin's trayler one time. He awso givez his self shots like the doctor sometimes, but dont change the needuls like they doo at the clinik. He givz my cuzzin those shots after his shots, but she is saved by Jesus too. He akts really weird befor an after he takes that medicine. Now my cuzzin, shez real pritty girl, but she cant catch the AIDS from dat man cuz shes a good straight Christiun girl. They sometimes play in her bed together some dayz though. She ain't bin feelin so grate thees days, week an sikk all the time.

They have a TV for awl of us in the game room behine the suparattendant's trayler, and they showed us some AIDS march but we dint know none of them people marchin.

My spalling mite not be good, but wee r delusional down hear, so x cuse me. Butt yure rite its only a gay disease thing.

~U2abamal

"They" does not refer to you. "They" does not refer to *all* Southerners. In fact, "they" refers to all parts of this country. But you know what? Let's live in this fantasy that people in this nation are as enlightened as the government agitprop likes us to believe.

There are too many religions that think still that AIDS is a gay plague, and this translates onto believers; believers across the nation. As we can see, it's now gone out of control in a part of our nation.

If you're going to have this smitten attitude every time there is a topic dealing with the South, assuming that I stereotype everyone there (despite the fact that I have apologized several times), then leave me alone in the future.

I think your post is at least 10x more offensive than anything I've ever written. I see you know your stereotypes well.

Melon

Last edited:
The South is more greatly plagued by AIDS and HIV infections because of racial and economic differences and a conservative cultural attitude that interferes with attempts to halt the disease, the report said.

This statement bothered me the most. The "conservative cultural attitude that intereferes with attempts to halt the disease,". Call me silly, but I do not know what this means. Are they saying that religion interferes? WHat about the conservative culture of the south makes it hard to combat aids?

I'm a Southerner also. I'm concerned about the AIDS statistics. I'd like to know where exactly the AIDS cases are turning up. There are some parts of the South that are shot to hell economically and other parts that are more prosperous. Sure we have our share of conservative Christians, in both the African American and white communities. I suppose it's being assumed that they don't want to talk about sex, and you've got to talk about sex to talk about AIDS. I don't know that we're any more uptight about this than other Americans, actually, but it's sometimes assumed that we are. I have never lived outside of the South so I can't compare. I would imagine that economics is playing a big role in this.

I'm a southerner too verte76 and I can say from what I have witnessed, it still has to do with perception as much as ignorance. He/she looks good, come's from a good Christian, Jewish, Catholic, Jehova Whitness, any demonation, secular, fundamentalist.... home, so they can't get or spread HIV or Aids What's wrong here? Part of the problem is you never hear about these statistics. It seems to only be reflected in rural, black or desperately poor communities where quite frankly, resources are not funded to the extent of communities that can have their secrets kept quite. Don't kid yourself, HIV and Aids are rampant in the upperscale communities. It's just not reported, because too many people are still under the impression " it can't happen to someone like me." and they keep spreading it. This is where the ignorance is... It really is too sad for words. :sad:

Last edited:
melon said:
"They" does not refer to you. "They" does not refer to *all* Southerners. In fact, "they" refers to all parts of this country. But you know what? Let's live in this fantasy that people in this nation are as enlightened as the government agitprop likes us to believe.

Thanks for granting me an exemption from the "they" class. I do consider myself unique amongst most Southerners; I despise NASCAR and hunting while most Southerners enjoy one or the other or both.

melon said:
There are too many religions that think still that AIDS is a gay plague, and this translates onto believers; believers across the nation. As we can see, it's now gone out of control in a part of our nation.

I can firmly tell you that the United Methodist Conference of North Alabama does NOT consider AIDS to be a "gay plague," and I am equally certain that the Episcopal Diocese of Alabama, the Catholic Archdiocese of Birmingham, and most of the other mainline denominations here do not consider it a "gay plague." I will not deny that many Christians and Christian denominations in this area consider homosexual activity to be a sin.

melon said:
If you're going to have this smitten attitude every time there is a topic dealing with the South, assuming that I stereotype everyone there (despite the fact that I have apologized several times), then leave me alone in the future.

Melon, to be honest with you, I have never been truly "offended" (in the modern, politically correct "constitutional" sense of the word) by any of your anti-Southern stereotypes. I merely seek to prove a point, as we all do in these forums, about double standards. I can say from my own personal experience that there is some validity to some of the Southern stereotypes that you have illustrated in the past. But they are still "stereotypes." I appreciate your apologies, but don't bother as it's not that big of a deal; I am not going to go file a civil rights lawsuit over it, nor will I even complain to the moderators about it. Just remember that I view double standards as a double-edged sword that can pierce the arguments of their practitioners.

melon said:
I think your post is at least 10x more offensive than anything I've ever written. I see you know your stereotypes well.

I'm sorry if you found it offensive; I was merely trying to fulfill the stereotype that I detected in your post.

Back to the real topic of this thread, it should be noted that my observation is the racial and economic factors are more relevant to this particular epidemic, and the religious influence is less significant. The overwhelming share of this trend is in rural African-American communities stretching from the Mississippi Delta region, across the Alabama Black Belt, and into the Alabama/Georgia wiregrass region. Some of these communities in Alabama have recorded unemployment levels as high as 27% in the past decade. Local politicians buy absentee ballots to stay in power and threaten their constituents. In what seemed like a small, quiet country town, I asked a state trooper once while I was working there "What kind of crimes happen here?" thinking the big problems would be cow tipping; without hesitation, he replied "Crack."

The "Bible Belt," Bible-thumping, white, Southern Baptist preachers so often associated with homophobic crusades are absent in this region (demographically and spiritually). The African-American clergy in the area do not preach sermons of AIDS being a "gay plague." In fact, they do what they can to help such people with the limited resources they have, but the collection plate is not going to fill up very fast at a poor church in a poor community.

Fortunately, U.S. Senators and Congressmen, black and white, Republican and Democratic, are beginning to recognize the problem and seek a solution. AIDS is not the only problem in the region; perhaps it is a symptom of the root problems. Education, economic development, improved health care, all of these are solutions that are being thrown around and given serious consideration.

I commend Senator Zell Miller (Democrat - Georgia) for his bill to establish the Southern Regional Commission to assist the 242 counties that are too often neglected; and I commend SEnator Jeff Sessions (Republican - Alabama) for his pledge to expand access to free and reduced cost healthcare in Alabama's Black Belt region. It is also interesting to note that Alabama Congressmen Spencer bachus (Republican - Birmingham) and Artur Davis (Democrat - Birmingham), did NOT celebrate President Bush's pledge of $50BB in African AIDS funding, despite the fact that Bachus had earlier led the charge for African debt relief. Was it a change of heart? No, it was simply based onthe fact that these two Congressmen felt that a similar boost of funding was needed to address the epidemic in their own state.

Basically, my view is that economic and political obstacles are the current problem, and the cultural part comes not in the form of strict religious mores, but in accepted drug use and sexual promiscuity in the area. Very few of the AIDS victims in the aforementioned areaswould have gotten it from homosexual activity; unfortunately, there are babies born HIV-positive, similiar to but on a much smaller scale than the African pandemic.

I am optimistic that solutions are possible as more people become aware of the problem. I do not think that stereotypes or false accusations will improve anything.

~U2Alabama

U2Bama said:
I am optimistic that solutions are possible as more people become aware of the problem. I do not think that stereotypes or false accusations will improve anything.

No...I agree. I've been cranky lately, and that's usually my downfall here in these forums. Luckily, I thought my way through it via my journal here.

I hate stereotypes at their core, but, admittedly, I would dare find someone who *doesn't* have them. Something I have to work at...

Melon

Thanks for admitting that you've been crabby, Melon. ;)

Bama, your post was very eloquent and thorough; nice job.

I was going through this thread just searching for the "close" button, but I see now that it is unnecessary. :up:

Back to the topic at hand: I read a Salon article a while back that theorized very interestingly that a possible reason for the spread of AIDS in the South has to do with the culture of politeness and civility that is so important, particularly in states like Georgia and South Carolina. Some people are afraid to pry enough to ask about STDs in a potential sex partner, or think it rude to ask a partner to use a condom if he isn't already.

I don't know how much water that holds, but it's compelling. I'll try to find the link.

That's interesting, pax. Definitely thought-provoking. Yes, we like manners and such. It's possible that these don't always help us.

Dreadsox said:

I obviously can't read the authors mind, but I would think it could mean:
-Conservatives might be opposed to sex education that includes teaching students about using contraception and therefore protecting themselves against AIDS/HIV.
-Some conservatives might be of the opinion that there is something shameful about a person having AIDS/HIV and so people with those illnesses might feel uanble to get treatment because of the way they fear people will respond to them.

Just some ideas. :)

FizzingWhizzbees said:

-Conservatives might be opposed to sex education that includes teaching students about using contraception and therefore protecting themselves against AIDS/HIV.
-Some conservatives might be of the opinion that there is something shameful about a person having AIDS/HIV and so people with those illnesses might feel uanble to get treatment because of the way they fear people will respond to them.

Fizz, that could be true of some people in these parts. There are people with screwy attitudes all over. After all we still have the Ku Klux Klan, neo-Nazis, and skinheads. I think the objection was to the assumption that all Southerners, or all conservative Southerners, think this way. Obviously we all don't but maybe too many do. Just my purple tuppence's worth.

Last edited:
FizzingWhizzbees said:

I think its also the conservative idea of just not talking about sex. If you don't talk about it, you don't know how serious the problem is and you don't educate yourself on how to prevent it, which brings me to another topic -- how educated are people in the South? what is the high school graduation rate? alot of what I learned about safe sex I learned in high school.

you have to factor in the culture for this. In San Fran and NYC, I'm sure people are more educated about safe sex and those who can be infected simply because the issue has been so prevelant in those cultures -- due to a larger gay population [where the disease was most prevelant early on] and due to the openness of the culture [where more people are likely to interact on a sexual basis]..... [i hope that doesn't sound stereotypical, sorry if it does].

I don't know if it's a matter of "how educated people are in the South" as much as it is what we are educated in. You can have a Ph.D. in the classics or whatever and not know anything about sexually transmitted disease. The whole sex deal is complex. In fighting AIDS in a heavily Moslem country, Ethiopia, the campaigners don't even use the word "sex"; they use the term "reproductive health" instead. You can understand sexually transmitted disease without diplomas or degrees. You can't unless you're willing to talk about it.

Maybe so sharky, however, San Francisco is so much more "completely" diverse from a significant portion of the US, not to mention the South, one can't really make a compairison. I think the fight aganist Aids began in SF, which was a good thing, when it became so rampant that it was finally reconized as a world wide health threat. With that in mind I hope all will follow the advice of the other forums here, and contact their representatives.
To call your Representative and Senators, dial the Senate switchboard at (202) 224-3121, and ask for them by name.
To find out who your representative is, go to http://www.datadata.org/what.htm?1051549720340 and click on ?Find Your Representative
If you are interested> The following speach was given today by the President.
http://www.whitehouse.gov/news/releases/2003/04/20030429-5.html

You're right. I've never been to San Francisco, but I have two sisters who live in Brooklyn. The whole culture there is so different. They have so much diversity in their population. By contrast there are only two major ethnic groups in the South--the "whites", mainly of Scotch-Irish descent, and the African Americans. The groups of Italians, Poles, etc, etc, are very small, less than 1 % of the population. Thus you don't have the diversity of ideas that you do in big shot places like New York. It's just a different place with different people.

www.cdc.gov

It isn't just the south and it is not selective to nationality/race. I know someone that simply was in a relationship with someone she loved that was a HIV carrier and has now converted.

I only have one thought on the subject that comes to mind right now.

Years ago when I asked my grandmother how I would know if I loved someone enough to share the rest of my life with them.
She answered simply,"You will know when you are sure that they are the only person you can see yourself spending the rest of your life with and you love them so much you would die for them."

That was pre-AIDS. I think it says it all.

Acquired Immunodeficiency Syndrome (AIDS)

Description

AIDS is a serious disease, first recognized as a distinct syndrome in 1981. This syndrome represents the late clinical state of infection with the human immunodeficiency virus (HIV), resulting in progressive damage to the immune system and in life-threatening infectious and noninfectious complications.

Occurrence

AIDS and HIV infection occur worldwide. Comprehensive surveillance systems are lacking in many countries, so the true number of cases is likely to be far greater than the numbers officially reported, particularly from developing nations. The Joint United Nations Programme on HIV/AIDS (UNAIDS) estimates that 34.3 million people are HIV-infected worldwide. Because HIV infection and AIDS are globally distributed, the risk to international travelers is determined less by their geographic destination than by their sexual and drug-using behaviors.

Risk for Travelers

The risk of HIV infection for international travelers is generally low. Factors to consider when assessing risk include the extent of direct contact with blood or secretions and of sexual contact with potentially infected people. In addition, the blood supply in developing countries might not be adequately screened.

Preventive Measures

No vaccine is available to prevent infection with HIV. For information on the safety of vaccines for HIV-infected people, see Vaccine Recommendations for Travelers With Altered Immunocompetence, Including HIV.

Travelers should be advised that HIV infection is preventable. HIV is transmitted through sexual intercourse and needle- or syringe-sharing; by medical use of blood, blood components, or organ or tissue transplantation; and perinatally from an infected woman to her infant. HIV is not transmitted through casual contact; air, food, or water routes; contact with inanimate objects; or mosquitoes or other arthropod vectors. The use of any public conveyance (for example, an airplane, an automobile, a boat, a bus, or a train) by people with AIDS or HIV infection does not pose a risk of infection for the crew members or other travelers.

Travelers should be advised that they are at risk if they:

Have sexual intercourse (heterosexual or homosexual) with an infected person.
Use or allow the use of contaminated, unsterilized syringes or needles for any injections or other skin-piercing procedures, including acupuncture, use of illicit drugs, steroid or vitamin injections, medical or dental procedures, ear or body piercing, or tattooing.
Use infected blood, blood components, or clotting factor concentrates. HIV infection by this route is rare in those countries or cities where donated blood and plasma are screened for HIV antibody.
Travelers should be advised to avoid sexual encounters with people who are infected with HIV or whose HIV infection status is unknown. This includes avoiding sexual activity with intravenous drug users and people with multiple sexual partners, such as male or female sex workers. Condoms, when used consistently and correctly, prevent transmission of HIV. Travelers who engage in vaginal, anal, or oral-genital intercourse with anyone who is infected with HIV or whose infection status is unknown should use a latex condom. For those who are sensitive to latex, polyurethane or other plastic condoms are available. (Travelers should be advised to look for the words "for the prevention of disease" on the condom packaging.)

In many countries, needle sharing by intravenous drug users is a major source of HIV transmission and other infections, such as hepatitis B (HBV) and hepatitis C (HCV). Travelers should be advised not to use drugs intravenously or share needles for any purpose.

In the United States, Australia, New Zealand, Canada, Japan, and western European countries, the risk of transfusion-associated HIV infection has been virtually eliminated through required testing of all donated blood for antibody to HIV. In the United States, donations of blood and plasma must be screened for HIV-1 and HIV-2 antibodies and HIV-1 p24 antigen.

If produced in the United States according to U.S. Food and Drug Administration-approved procedures, immune globulin preparations (such as those used for the prevention of hepatitis A (HAV) and HBV) and HBV vaccines undergo processes that are known to inactivate HIV; therefore, these products should be used as indicated. Less developed nations might not have a formal program for testing blood or biological products for antibody to HIV. In those countries, travelers should (when medically prudent) avoid use of unscreened blood-clotting factor concentrates or those of uncertain purity. If transfusion is necessary, the blood should be tested, if at all possible, for HIV antibody by appropriately trained laboratory technicians using a reliable test. (See WHO Blood Transfusion Guidelines for International Travelers for additional information.)

Needles used to draw blood or administer injections should be sterile, preferably single use and disposable, and prepackaged in a sealed container. Travelers with insulin-dependent diabetes or hemophilia, or who require routine or frequent injections should be advised to carry a supply of syringes, needles, and disinfectant swabs (for example, alcohol wipes) sufficient to last their entire stay abroad.

International travelers should be advised that some countries serologically screen incoming travelers (primarily those planning extended visits, such as for work or study) and deny entry to people with AIDS and those whose test results indicate infection with HIV. People intending to visit a country for a substantial period or to work or study abroad should be informed of the policies and requirements of the particular country. This information is usually available from the consular officials of the individual nations. An unofficial list that has been compiled by the U.S. Department of State can be found at the following Internet address: http://travel.state.gov///HIVtestingreqs.html.

Further information is available from 1-800-342-AIDS, toll free from the United States or its territories (for Spanish-speaking callers, 1-800-344-SIDA, or for hearing-impaired callers with teletype equipment, 1-800-AIDS-TTY).

Back
Top Bottom