The 80sU2isBest FYM Farewell Thread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

80sU2isBest

Rock n' Roll Doggie Band-aid
melon, after your last post, I had thought we'd judt make a pact with each other not to address each other at all. Seemed like the only way for peace, because quite fankly, there's no getting along between us.

But then I realied the better thing to do is just leave. I'm at the point I was at last time I left, frustrated and angry. Last time, I said I wouldn't be around for a while - I left the door open for my return. When I did return I said I wouldn't get embroiled in FYM. But as we all know, that didn't work out. There' just something about being one of the few conservatives in the forum; it presents quite a debating challenge. I should never have come back. My life was peaceful when I wasn't arguing all the time. My friend has been telling me I just need to "get out while the gettin's good", and I'm finally gonna follow her advice. And this time, I'm not coming back. And don't worry, I'm not gonna come back under a different name, either, so if someone is out there who happens to have my views on things, it's not me.

I'm not sure FYM is a productive place for many people. What do we accomplish with all our bickering? Is anyone ever persuaded? Not much. I was accused of always thinking I'm right a few times, and to tell you the tuth, on most of those occasions the people who accused me of that were the exact same way. But in a forum like this, why is that bad? If you believe passionately about something, passionately enought to actually debate about it, of course you believe you're right. If not, why even hold that opinion or any opinion at all?

Now to my goodbyes. I said temporary goodbyes before, so those who I addressed at that time know how I feel about them. I'll address some new people in my "cyberlife" this time.

Verte76, Angela Harlem, Klaus: Though I rarely agree with you on anything, I really enjoyed discussions with ya'll. Ya'll have a quality that is rare in FYM; the ability to believe in your opinion but still be able to maintain a cool head and always present your ideas with clarity and respect, while being open to other ideas. The "open to other ideas" part is a very good quality to have, one that I really don't have. I will miss ya'll.

nbcrusader: What can I say? You seem to be a great man of God. Go with him...always walk in the Spirit and you will be in His will.

Sting2: Keep the fire alive. This administration isn't perfect (that's one thing it's got in common with all previous admins), but you are right that Bush is a good man, who is indeed respected by our country's military.

Deep, I don't think I ever agreed with you on a single issue, and we've even had words with each other. But I never got the feeling you don't respect me and/or my views. That's a good quality to have, the ability to disagree totally but to still show respect. No hard feelings, eh?

I know I probably left out others for whom I have very positive emotions. You probably know who you are.

This is 80sU2isBest, Polka King and Halpick Neftin signing out once and for all, in Mr. Neftin's own immortal words...

"Milk Of Kindness To All".

Actually, I will be around today in case anyone has any unfinished business with me...

and tomorrow ...

and the next day...

(just joking on the "tomorrow and the next day" bit...)

Last edited:
Frankly, I don't see why this is even necessary. So we disagree on some core issue--religion vs. homosexuality--that affects both of us on different ends of the spectrum. I would say that the logical conclusion, if you are to leave, is to avoid threads like these.

The fact of the matter is that I won't avoid these threads, because, really, it apparently doesn't matter what I think, when it comes to public policy. Perhaps you view Christianity as some "persecuted minority." I don't know. The fact of the matter is that that "persecuted minority" is damn near close to codifying discrimination into the Constitution. Do you realize the problems with that?

But if you wish to create some melodramatic exit, then be my guest. Frankly, though, I think you're blowing this out of proportion.

Melon

80's, I wish you weren't posting to say you have reached this decision, yet I understand you have finished up here. I can tell this isn't a matter of persuasion so I won't try.
I'd like to somehow keep in touch with you, if you ever feel inclined. I have access to your email, but would rather offer you mine so the choice remains yours as to keeping in touch or not. It is angelaharlem@hotmail.com, same as the interf one only direct. A sincere thankyou for everything you have contributed to this place. It has always been appreciated.

melon said:
Frankly, I don't see why this is even necessary. So we disagree on some core issue--religion vs. homosexuality--that affects both of us on different ends of the spectrum. I would say that the logical conclusion, if you are to leave, is to avoid threads like these.

The fact of the matter is that I won't avoid these threads, because, really, it apparently doesn't matter what I think, when it comes to public policy. Perhaps you view Christianity as some "persecuted minority." I don't know. The fact of the matter is that that "persecuted minority" is damn near close to codifying discrimination into the Constitution. Do you realize the problems with that?

But if you wish to create some melodramatic exit, then be my guest. Frankly, though, I think you're blowing this out of proportion.

Melon

Melon, it's not really about you or even the homosexual issue. It's about the whole of my experience with FYM. I hate what it does in me, the way it makes me react, the fact that I think about my arguments in FYM quite often, even when I am not online. Now you tell me; based on what I have just told you, do I need to be posting in FYM?

I'm sorry you see it as melodrama. That's not how I intended it. The reason I told people I was leaving was because I felt I had to get it off my chest. And that's actually a part of my reason to leave in the first place, because of this constant feeling that I have to "get things of my chest". I mean, really, why should I care if I am able to get my point across to you or to anyone else? I don't shape public policy. It's a case of pride, this need of mine to get my opinion across. I don't like that, and I want to change it. I can't change it if I'm sitting here arguing all the time.

But also, I didn't want to leave FYM without telling people who I have grown fond of how I feel about them. I don't think tehre's anything wrong with that.

joyfulgirl said:
melodramatic exits :yawn:
I'm sorry you see it that way. I realize that when someone says goodbye on a forum, they run the risk of being called melodramatic. That's the risk I took when I decided to do this. But the decision has been weeks in the making. For an explanation of why I said goodbye rather than just stopping the posts, please read my above response to melon.

I was going to PM you with this 80s, but apparently you can't receive PMs so I'll just have to post here instead and hope you check this thread again.

Anyway. I know we probably disagree on most issues and I'm certainly not one of your favourite posters, but I will be sad to see you leave. I don't often agree with you but I do respect that you post your opinions in a polite and friendly way. Even if you've decided not to visit FYM anymore I hope that you'll maybe sometimes post in one of the other (less controversial) forums.

Hope to see you around again sometime. Take care. :)

*Fizz.

80sU2isBest said:
Melon, it's not really about you or even the homosexual issue. It's about the whole of my experience with FYM. I hate what it does in me, the way it makes me react, the fact that I think about my arguments in FYM quite often, even when I am not online. Now you tell me; based on what I have just told you, do I need to be posting in FYM?

But also, I didn't want to leave FYM without telling people who I have grown fond of how I feel about them. I don't think tehre's anything wrong with that.

Well, now that you have explained it this way, no, I don't see it as melodramatic, but I also don't think you should feel that you have to leave. If this place really does do more harm than good for you, though, then I think you should do what is best.

Also realize that I won't hold you to your word on this. If you ever change your mind someday, feel free to return. I guess we can agree to disagree until then. :sexywink:

Take care...

Melon

80's,

I am sorry you are going. I have learned a lot agreeing with you and disagreeing with you.

I hope you rethink this but the choice is yours.

If you feel like chatting through email on some of the topics of the day I am at dreadsox@aol.com or dreadsox@adelphia.net.

Peace to you.

Matt

because of the threadsplit i quote myself:

08-03-2003 06:30 PM - written by Klaus

80sU2isBest:

As you know we didn't agree on too many points but i was allways happy to read your view, more than once i rethought my opinion because of your statements.

I hope you will still be at "The Goal Is Soul" - your posts there. I loved your comments there (also i didn't replay everytime with a ).

According FYM's "Old Testament Laws And Their Place In The Life Of The Christian", i didn't reply because i had not enough time to think about it, it would be verry nice if you could look at that thread in approx. 2 weeks

Klaus

p.s. i hope you read that thread one more time before you leave us.

I wish you all the best for the future - and i hope we will have time again to share our thoughts. :wave:

Klaus

Last edited:
Whether you decide to stay, leave, or come back, I wish you all the best. I don't think you and I agreed on a single thing about religion or politics, but I always appreciated your contribution to the forum. If we were all the same, the world would be a very boring place, wouldn't it?

Have a beautiful day and a beautiful year,

M.

'80's, I'm sorry you feel like you have to leave us. I didn't agree with many of your posts but I always felt like you presented your arguments with reason and conviction. Some people do feel like that there is too much :rant: :yell: going on in FYM. I prefer not to post in some threads (abortion threads in particular) myself. I appreciate your kind words about me in your post. God bless you!:wave:

Deep, I don't think I ever agreed with you on a single issue, and we've even had words with each other. But I never got the feeling you don't respect me and/or my views. That's a good quality to have, the ability to disagree totally but to still show respect. No hard feelings, eh?

80s,

Thanks for posting this.

I do respect you and your right to have your views.
To me, you are a sincere person trying to make the right choices.
I even think I understand how you arrive at your views.
You and I are probably in agreement on 95% of most issues.

The discussions in these threads are mostly about the other 5 %.

80sU2isBest said:

I'm not sure FYM is a productive place for many people. What do we accomplish with all our bickering? Is anyone ever persuaded? Not much.

I agree very much with you here. I've thought almost these very words and came close to posting them.

I still wonder if it makes sense to post on a political sub-forum where debates almost inevitably turn to arguments and where otherwise we are friends, i.e. we are a group of people with a shared interest about which we can all rejoice and raise a toast: the rock band called U2.

80's, take care.

It's sad to see another of the minority leave, but I understand where you are coming from- that's why I'm not around FYM much anymore - gave me serious offline headaches as well. And to echo Fizz, I hope we will still see you in other places in Interland :hug:

80s,

You posted before that you come to FYM to hear opinions different from your own.

You stated that you live in a community where everybody thinks alike.

I never see these threads as debates, and do not like the idea that some are in the minority and others are in the majority. I find myself agreeing and disagreeing with most everybody in here at one time or another.

I have posted things that have been proven to be wrong. It did not make me feel like I lost face or a debate.
I posted something that was not correct. So what. I post things I believe are correct and if people ask me why, I make my best effort to explain. Sometimes many disagree with me, again so what.

I used to find myself obsessing a bit about the discussions in here. I had to reevaluate how much value I allow myself to invest in my posting in here. I want to make a positive contribution to this community. I believe you and the other posters here do.

Please take time to look at the thread I started about NO MORE DEBATES!

This country has some 285,000,000 people and I believe there are 6.2+ billion people on the planet. In this forum we have an opportunity to share opinions and contribute to better understanding between people from every possible location, in our small way.
Please reconsider being a part of that.

Deep, I just went and read your ideas. Those are great ideas. I hope it works out. I'm not sure I'd be able to discuss without arguing. That's part of what it is that I don't like about the way I behave at FYM. I always argue. But there are many people that I really think could make it work. I think FYM would be the better for it.

Anyways, thanks for the kind words.

And to everybody, and I do mean everybody, I hope you are all blessed.

I may see some of ya'll over at "The Goal Is Soul". That's a real nice forum. However, if I do that, I think I'll ask the mods to ban me from posting at FYM so I won't be tempted to come back! That may just be the first self-inflicted ban in internet forum history!

Over `n' out.

Well I hate to see you go. Although I may not agree with you 90% of the time I have much respect. It must be hard to be a conservative in this forum, but it would be boring without them.

I always took your opinions seriously and admired your convictions. Take care.

Remember it's just cyber-space.

BVS

it is our loss but in matters like this, we should all put ourselves first.

take care...

Your are taking it personally, and maybe you are right to leave if it's causing you this much distress. But also take what you have learned and apply it accordingly. You won't alway's be around like minded people, or maybe you will, and that's your choice. But I never took anything you said personally, it was just the way you felt. So be it. Hope you find what you are looking for.
Oh, btw I WILL miss your debate, argument's..or whatever you call them.

Last edited:
80's, please don't go. I don't even come to this forum much (too much aggravation, can't deal with it) but I miss you on the EYKIW forum and I'm sorry you don't post there anymore. I always loved your posts. When people feel run off the forum, what happens is, only one side of the story is told. We need all sides. Too many people have left already, please don't go:( Stay here and post on all the forums you want. You opinions are just as good as anyone else's and should be respected all the same.:hug:

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom