That's so gay.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
CTU2fan said:
BVS is correct above, you have no freedom of speech in high school. You can't cuss, and they can make you wear uniforms or whatever if they want. Should she be in more trouble if she'd said "That's so fucking gay?"

So what I am led to understand is cracker, nigga, beaner are ok to say in highschool, in front of staff, but once you say, OMG that is so gay, you should get suspended or expelled??

I think I will call CNN, ABC news, cbs, bbc and tell the whole world that saying That is so gay is so wrong but say anything else because it's not as bad.

When an African American says "nigga" it's meant in a friendly way, buddy talk or however you would call it.
There is no negative connotation.

If a White said nigga, it would depend what he means with it, and he should better know who he is talking with.

But if a White said "nigga" in clearly a derogatory way it would be no better as if he was saying gay or another cuss.
If a black said "nigga" in a derogatory way it wouldn't be right, but people would react differently to it as it can't be racist. I think they might even laugh about him because he just made a fool out of itself.

To use the term gay in a derogatory way is not right, rather stupid.
In my opinion no one should get in trouble for saying it like "this is so gay", but no one should be applauded for it either.

It always depends on the connotation, and terms like gay or retarded shouldn't be used to insult anyone or anything.

I agree, there is a difference whether you say "You are gay!" in order to insult him, or "This is gay" in order to express how silly you think this topic, discussion or whatever to be.
Still people shouldn't think it's perfectly fine to use these words in that way (again, what happened here is way overstretched).

Justin24 said:

So what I am led to understand is cracker, nigga, beaner are ok to say in highschool, in front of staff, but once you say, OMG that is so gay, you should get suspended or expelled??

But that's my point, it's high school. They can pick & choose, do whatever...in school the Bill of Rights is pretty much suspended. I don't agree, but it is what it is.

Justin24 said:
BVS already asked you this but--where are you getting this from? No one said the high school this girl went to allows racial slurs. It doesn't. And she wasn't suspended or expelled. Have you looked up the actual details on this story yet?

Irvine511 said:
okay, so i have a weird time with this stuff.

i remember a year or so ago a friend of mine was finishing up his undergrad and was working on a group project at his house. i was over at the time, and someone said something to the effect of, "yo, what's up with all this gay-assesd weather?"

i mean, honestly, what does that mean? needless to say, it became a joke from then on in between myself and my friend. everything was "gay-assed" -- coffee, the news, socks, cell phones -- because it was so silly.

it's not hateful, but it is derogatory, and it makes you sound like a fucking fool to think that "gay" is a word that can be used in the pejorative.

however, i am fine with using "gay" to describe somethings. i'd call "Dreamgirls" gay, as well as "African-American." i'd call Drag Shows gay. i'd call many Westerns gay. i'd call nearly half the clothes in Banana Republic gay. gay is now a very clear cultural niche, and a straight person can wear gay, or see gay, or listen to gay, and not have it mean a thing about his sexuality.

so, to extend this, i would say that i did just buy a really gay pair of Pumas yesterday at DSW. wow, what a gay sentence. and i'm fine with that. because i'm acknowledging the stereotype/niche while i am fully aware that it's not all-encompassing, and that the non-gay can easily consume that which might be termed gay without much of a problem in the same way that i get tremendous (guilty) pleasure out of the new Beyonce single (which is also kind of gay).

so ... yes, if i were a middle school teacher and i heard someone using "gay" as interchangeable with "stupid" or, worse, "retarded," then i'd call him out on that. it's inappropriate, and it's less for the benefit of someone in the class who might have a gay uncle or lesbian mothers and more to make sure the kid doesn't walk around thinking that kid of language is acceptable and he makes an ass out of himself.

but it is slippery. when someone says "gay-assed shit," they don't mean gay as in homosexual, unless they're saying that "Moulin Rouge was a really gay-assed movie," which it kind of was, but then just how derogatory is that?

whatever. y'all can puzzle out this gay-assed shit yourselves.

:applaud: :lmao: :D :D
That's the best thing I've read all day...

Justin you just said that people say "that's so gay" when referring to something stupid, boring, etc. That is exactly what makes it offensive. I should think that at this point in our society we can be more creative in our language and not resort to substituting cultures for words with negative connotations. :|

Justin24 said:

NO ONE HAS SAID THAT!!!

Irvine511 said:
okay, so i have a weird time with this stuff.

i remember a year or so ago a friend of mine was finishing up his undergrad and was working on a group project at his house. i was over at the time, and someone said something to the effect of, "yo, what's up with all this gay-assesd weather?"

i mean, honestly, what does that mean? needless to say, it became a joke from then on in between myself and my friend. everything was "gay-assed" -- coffee, the news, socks, cell phones -- because it was so silly.

it's not hateful, but it is derogatory, and it makes you sound like a fucking fool to think that "gay" is a word that can be used in the pejorative.

however, i am fine with using "gay" to describe somethings. i'd call "Dreamgirls" gay, as well as "African-American." i'd call Drag Shows gay. i'd call many Westerns gay. i'd call nearly half the clothes in Banana Republic gay. gay is now a very clear cultural niche, and a straight person can wear gay, or see gay, or listen to gay, and not have it mean a thing about his sexuality.

so, to extend this, i would say that i did just buy a really gay pair of Pumas yesterday at DSW. wow, what a gay sentence. and i'm fine with that. because i'm acknowledging the stereotype/niche while i am fully aware that it's not all-encompassing, and that the non-gay can easily consume that which might be termed gay without much of a problem in the same way that i get tremendous (guilty) pleasure out of the new Beyonce single (which is also kind of gay).

so ... yes, if i were a middle school teacher and i heard someone using "gay" as interchangeable with "stupid" or, worse, "retarded," then i'd call him out on that. it's inappropriate, and it's less for the benefit of someone in the class who might have a gay uncle or lesbian mothers and more to make sure the kid doesn't walk around thinking that kid of language is acceptable and he makes an ass out of himself.

but it is slippery. when someone says "gay-assed shit," they don't mean gay as in homosexual, unless they're saying that "Moulin Rouge was a really gay-assed movie," which it kind of was, but then just how derogatory is that?

whatever. y'all can puzzle out this gay-assed shit yourselves.

Great post.

"People need to lighten up about all this shit. I don't give a shit who calls what gay." - My gay best friend 5 minutes ago.

Or, what Irvine said.

Out of curiosity...for those who don't have a problem with saying "that's so gay," do you also not have a problem with saying "that's so retarded?" If so, does that mean you think one is less offensive than the other?

I'm not calling people out here, I'm just curious as to why.

Vincent Vega said:
When an African American says "nigga" it's meant in a friendly way, buddy talk or however you would call it.
There is no negative connotation.

If a White said nigga, it would depend what he means with it, and he should better know who he is talking with.

But if a White said "nigga" in clearly a derogatory way it would be no better as if he was saying gay or another cuss.
If a black said "nigga" in a derogatory way it wouldn't be right, but people would react differently to it as it can't be racist. I think they might even laugh about him because he just made a fool out of itself.

To use the term gay in a derogatory way is not right, rather stupid.
In my opinion no one should get in trouble for saying it like "this is so gay", but no one should be applauded for it either.

It always depends on the connotation, and terms like gay or retarded shouldn't be used to insult anyone or anything.

I agree, there is a difference whether you say "You are gay!" in order to insult him, or "This is gay" in order to express how silly you think this topic, discussion or whatever to be.
Still people shouldn't think it's perfectly fine to use these words in that way (again, what happened here is way overstretched).

Have you talked african american community leaders? After what michael richardson said many people want that word to be put to rest because it still dirogatory.

yolland said:

BVS already asked you this but--where are you getting this from? No one said the high school this girl went to allows racial slurs. It doesn't. And she wasn't suspended or expelled. Have you looked up the actual details on this story yet?

It was on the local tv station last night. She is now in court because of this situation.

redhotswami said:
Justin you just said that people say "that's so gay" when referring to something stupid, boring, etc. That is exactly what makes it offensive. I should think that at this point in our society we can be more creative in our language and not resort to substituting cultures for words with negative connotations. :|

But if we decide to choose other words, how do you know your not offending someone else.

redhotswami said:
Out of curiosity...for those who don't have a problem with saying "that's so gay," do you also not have a problem with saying "that's so retarded?" If so, does that mean you think one is less offensive than the other?

I say "that's so retarded" too sometimes and it has absolutely nothing to do with the handicapped. I am also a fairly left-wing liberal as most of you know and even have neices with Down's syndrome. I just think these words have evolved past their original derogatory meanings and unless used in a pejorative way directly towards gays and the handicapped they really have no connection anymore.

raventoo.jpg

is Raven offended by this?

redhotswami said:

When ever my friend does something really stupid, other friends or I will be like Dude your retarded. He laughs and does not give a shit.

There are two societies here. One who must controll what we say hear and do.

Then we have the people who say you know what who gives a fuck.

To be honest even though I don't agree with it, absolutely everyone uses the phrase 'thats so gay' or 'your so gay' in my year group at school. The word gay gets used to mean stupid and sad alot.. and even though its origins are obviously hateful, I don't think this student should be blamed for something that has infiltrated into teenage/youth culture.

Justin24 said:

:sad: oh no you offended me.

That wasn't the point. The point is can we use any word now synonymous with stupid? And after abundant use, should no one stand up and ask why are we using the word 'Justin' synonymous with stupid?

Justin24 said:

Have you talked african american community leaders? After what michael richardson said many people want that word to be put to rest because it still dirogatory.

Con-No-Ta-Tion

Please, take a look at your monitor. What's the resolution? 1024*768? Probably, maybe more. And 16bit? Yes.

16bit... that means 65.536 colours your monitor is able to produce. This is more than your eyes can see.

I know, black and white is so much easier. But the world isn't black and white. It has colours.

And as the world has colours, words have several meanings, that's why there are words like connotation or context.

You do the same regarding the UN. Black or White. UN or no UN.

Please, get out of this black and white.

BonoVoxSupastar said:

And which extreme is correct?

Which ever you feel. And if you read the article on page one, a student even gives an explantion on how and what the word gay means in HS terms.

Justin24 said:

a student even gives an explantion on how and what the word gay means in HS terms.

You are missing the point. If the student gave an explanation as to what 'justin' meant in hs terms would it make it acceptable to you?

Yes. I don't know why you get so offended so easily. If people get offended by words, why not be a mute society?

Back
Top Bottom