That so called war on terror...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
BonoVoxSupastar said:

For the first time we agree. This war has nothing to do with terrorism, it's just a bumper sticker that war mongers can rally behind...

Actually, I was being sarcastic and mocking Edwards' totally outrageous statement.

03-inside-bush.jpg

President Bush said Wednesday that American troops under fire aren't about to pull out,
and he challenged those tempted to attack U.S. forces, "Bring them on."

"the global struggle against terrorism... will last a generation and more but this I believe passionately - we will not win until we shake ourselves free of the wretched capitulation to the propaganda of the enemy, that somehow we are the ones responsible. This terrorism isn't our fault, we didn't cause it. It's not the consequence of foreign policy, it's an attack on our way of life.
If we retreat now, hand Iraq over to al Qaida and sectarian death squads and Afghanistan back to al Qaida and the Taliban, we won't be safer, we will be committing a craven act of surrender that will put our future security in the deepest peril."

--War-mongering neo-con Tony Blair, Sept 06

29% they are trying to shore up the base - Indy bought it

If we retreat now, hand Iraq over to al Qaida

This is a flat out lie -
the Sunnis are tired of al Qaida

both the Sunnis and the Shia would dispatch al Qaida in short order

It is only the distraction of occupiers and collaborators than have given al Qaida an opening.

But this false argument will be bought by many
that won't invest any real effort get the information for themselves

Some people prefer to get their talking points spoon fed by right wing radio talkers

While he does possess a frightening disrespect for civil liberties he is right on why terrorism wins, any response will provoke condemnation.

A_Wanderer said:
The war on terror is as much a misnomer as religion of peace.

I am probably coming around to that point of view more and more.

Islamist terrorism is a tougher nut to crack than the Marxist-influenced terrorism that was around in the 1960's and 1970's - Red Army Faction, Action Directe, the Provisional IRA (never formally a Marxist organisation, but several prominent members were known to be influenced by revolutionary Marxism) etc, because whilst Marxists might been prepared to kill and endure a certain amount of personal hardship to achieve their goals, they didn't have a deathwish, they certainly didn't personally want to die, they wanted to stay around to see their brave new world come to fruition.

There was never a Provo suicide bomber, not one.

Re: 29% they are trying to shore up the base - Indy bought it

deep said:

Some people prefer to get their talking points spoon fed by right wing radio talkers

This describes a good portion of America...

Re: 29% they are trying to shore up the base - Indy bought it

deep said:

This is a flat out lie -
the Sunnis are tired of al Qaida

both the Sunnis and the Shia would dispatch al Qaida in short order

It is only the distraction of occupiers and collaborators than have given al Qaida an opening.

Like Tony Blair one assumes.

Re: Re: 29% they are trying to shore up the base - Indy bought it

INDY500 said:

Like Tony Blair one assumes.

and Tony Blair has no reasons to justify his participation in the Iraq fiasco/debacle which has made him loathed at home as he's about to depart office.

no motivation to excuse his actions whatsoever.

that said, i think Tony got the big question -- islamist terrorism is extremely dangerous -- right, but he's been tragically wrong on Iraq. and he knows it.

Re: Re: Re: 29% they are trying to shore up the base - Indy bought it

Irvine511 said:

and Tony Blair has no reasons to justify his participation in the Iraq fiasco/debacle which has made him loathed at home as he's about to depart office.

no motivation to excuse his actions whatsoever.

that said, i think Tony got the big question -- islamist terrorism is extremely dangerous -- right, but he's been tragically wrong on Iraq. and he knows it.
If he is tragically wrong on Iraq then being tragically right isn't much better.

Irvine511 said:

i think Tony got the big question -- islamist terrorism is extremely dangerous -- right

Thank you. You can't get some American's to even admit that.

Admit what, that Islamist terrorissm is extremely dangerous? I think most will acknowledge that...but don't brush the entire religion as a terrorist religion (even though I know there are some that will differ)

Re: Re: Re: Re: 29% they are trying to shore up the base - Indy bought it

INDY500 said:

i will say that i think it's overstated, i think it's been politically manipulated to an egregious extent, i think 9-11 is the most exploited tragedy in American history -- but, yes, there are people who want us to die.

and you know what?

they'll kill me before they kill you, INDY. there is a freedom that i do enjoy in the West that is worthy of death in some circles.

Re: Re: 29% they are trying to shore up the base - Indy bought it

BonoVoxSupastar said:

This describes a good portion of America...

And the 1/3 of Democrats that think George Bush knew about the 9/11 attacks in an advance...what, and by whom, are they being spoonfed?

A_Wanderer said:
If he is tragically wrong on Iraq then being tragically right isn't much better.

it may well be that the only thing that has ever prevented the civil war we're currently enjoying is crushing dictatorship.

INDY500 said:

:lol:

Yeah, not invading Iraq = terrorism isn't dangerous.:|

INDY500 said:

And the 1/3 of Democrats that think George Bush knew about the 9/11 attacks in an advance...what, and by whom, are they being spoonfed?

A 1/3 of Democrats? Is this some poll you took?

There's a fair amount of evidence that certain things should have been taken more seriously, but to blame Bush would be ridiculous.

And those that have conspiracy theories as to Bush knew or had a part in 9/11, I doubt many are actually Democrats. Just like many in the far far right I wouldn't call Republicans.

Not terrorist but Mohammedism is certainly regressive and intollerant it just manages to wear it in a way Christianity can't get away with as much these days.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: 29% they are trying to shore up the base - Indy bought it

Irvine511 said:

i will say that i think it's overstated, i think it's been politically manipulated to an egregious extent, i think 9-11 is the most exploited tragedy in American history -- but, yes, there are people who want us to die.

I understand that to some degree, but of coarse you can call it overstated, you'll have to admit, to some degree by the sheer fact that we have had no further attacks since then.
they'll kill me before they kill you, INDY. there is a freedom that i do enjoy in the West that is worthy of death in some circles.

Well, Christians don't do so well in their caliphate either. If that's any consolation.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: 29% they are trying to shore up the base - Indy bought it

Irvine511 said:

it may well be that the only thing that has ever prevented the civil war we're currently enjoying is crushing dictatorship.
Wouldn't that be an unavoidable concequence after the regime collapsed anyway?

Back
Top Bottom