"Thank You Jesus" Leads To Jail

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
BonoVoxSupastar said:

No, I'm a moron I wasn't aware Christmas was a religious holiday.:| No, I wouldn't like to ban Christmas, just make sure it's secularized in government and public schools.

By "secularized" do you mean that it should be stripped of its true meaning?

shart1780 said:

By "secularized" do you mean that it should be stripped of its true meaning?

In government buildings and public schools, yes. Keeping it as a season for giving and spreading joy, I see no problem with that.

shart1780 said:

I'll give you a quick example.

A guy I go to church with graduated high school not too long back and would regularly take his Bible to class when he attended middle school. First day of high school he was asked in multiple classes to put his Bible away as it might offend others in the class. He refused, but was threatened to be sent to the principle's office. He didn't want to go through the trouble over something like that so he just complied with their wishes.

I've heard much more than just one story like that.

Have you haeard a story like this one

A guy goes to Church
he brings out a copy of 'The Origin of Species" by Darwin during Bible study
they ask him to put it away
if he refuses he will be asked to leave

:huh:

deep said:

Have you haeard a story like this one

A guy goes to Church
he brings out a copy of 'The Origin of Species" by Darwin during Bible study
they ask him to put it away
if he refuses he will be asked to leave

:huh:

Why did that person bring the book? Was he genuinely wanting answers? Or, was he just wanting to start trouble? If he was just wanting to start trouble, he should have had no expectation of an outcome other than being asked to put it away. Even if his motivation was pure - if he wanted answers, he should have scheduled a one on one meeting with an appropriate person that he trusted. A Bible Study is time set aside for people who want to study God's word. It is for that purpose, and that purpose only; it is not the time to whip out a book like Origin Of The Species that wll only cause division and disruption.

It is not the same situation as the guy bringing the Bible to school. As long as he's learning his school lessons, as long as he's paying attention and not reading the Bible in class, it offends no one by just sitting there on his desk. During the breaks, he can read silently to himself and no harm is done. It will disrupt nothing.

80sU2isBest said:

It is not the same situation as the guy bringing the Bible to school. As long as he's learning his school lessons, as long as he's paying attention and not reading the Bible in class, it offends no one by just sitting there on his desk. During the breaks, he can read silently to himself and no harm is done. It will disrupt nothing.

Granted it's been awhile and all schools are different, but we had no personal reading time during school hours. So this scenario seemed like the same exact situation to me.

BonoVoxSupastar said:

Granted it's been awhile and all schools are different, but we had no personal reading time during school hours. So this scenario seemed like the same exact situation to me.

You didn't have study hall, breaks between classes, or even lunch?

It's threads like this that make me glad I went to a private school. It's rather sad that when I read these threads, it's obvious that even though my private school is supposedly restrictive, we had more comprehensive sex ed, more diverse topics of study (for example, we study 3-4 theories of creation in science classes, not just Intelligent Design), and no one was ever hassled for being a Christian, Jew, Atheist, Muslim, etc. What gives?

80sU2isBest said:

Actually, I agree.

I had a student 2 years ago that was a Jehovah's Witness. After she'd finish a test or in class assignment she'd take out a pocket sized bible and read, underline, make notes in the margins. . .Never bothered me. If she had it out during discussion or some other activity I'd ask her to put it away and that would be the end of it.

80sU2isBest said:

You didn't have study hall, breaks between classes, or even lunch?

Our study hall was used for school related studies, breaks were almost long enough to get you to your next class, and lunch wasn't held in the classroom. So I still have to wonder why anyone would need a Bible in the classroom.

BonoVoxSupastar said:

Our study hall was used for school related studies, breaks were almost long enough to get you to your next class, and lunch wasn't held in the classroom. So I still have to wonder why anyone would need a Bible in the classroom.

Some kids don't like to keep things in their lockers, for fear of theft.

WildHoneyAlways said:

Actually, I agree.

I had a student 2 years ago that was a Jehovah's Witness. After she'd finish a test or in class assignment she'd take out a pocket sized bible and read, underline, make notes in the margins. . .Never bothered me. If she had it out during discussion or some other activity I'd ask her to put it away and that would be the end of it.

Wow, I wasn't aware it was that big of a deal. I guess I just always thought being a public school meant you couldn't teach religious beliefs, unless you were like teaching a course on religion and gave equal treatment to a variety of beliefs. So, in public schools, you can't use religious literature in discussions/debates? Can they be used as sources for papers?

BonoVoxSupastar said:
Why are you laughing? You don't think it's true? I knew kids that would carry their stuff around with `em all day because of theft. I kid you not.

Besides, how is someone going to be offended by a Bible sitting on a desk doing nothing? If someone is offended by that, they're more thin-skinned than I am.

80sU2isBest said:

Why are you laughing? You don't think it's true? I knew kids that would carry their stuff around with `em all day because of theft. I kid you not.

Besides, how is someone going to be offended by a Bible sitting on a desk doing nothing? If someone is offended by that, they're more thin-skinned than I am.

Thought it was a joke, sorry...

To be honest I have to question the truthfulness of this example.

But there are a lot of things not allowed in the classroom due to it being a distraction when I was in school baseball caps weren't allowed in the classroom, magazines, etc. Those things had to be in the locker until the end of the day.

80sU2isBest said:

Some kids don't like to keep things in their lockers, for fear of theft.

I could see some immature teenager stealing a Bible and telling all his buddies about it. We're talking highschool here. It's full of kids like this.

Actually I think OJ said thank you Satan..:wink:

the hawaiichannel.com

A state judge on Friday refused to apologize to a man he put behind bars for shouting "Thank you, Jesus" in his courtroom.

Junior Stowers awaited the verdict in his domestic abuse trial last week. A lot was at stake for Stowers. As an immigrant, if he was convicted he could be deported and could lose his position as a youth volunteer at his church.

The judge was Patrick Border. Gov. Linda Lingle appointed him two years ago.

Just before the verdict was read, the judge whispered a warning to the attorneys.

Dialogue from the trial: "No displays of emotion one way or another by anyone in the case. You understand?" Border said in court.

Dialogue from the trial: "We, the jury, in the above entitled case find the defendant not guilty," the jury foreman said.

"Thank you, Jesus!" Stowers exclaimed.

"You be quiet. OK, we will be in conference after that," Border said.

"He wanted to apologize, and the judge cut him off and didn't let him apologize," Kwock told KITV on Friday.

Dialogue from the trial: "May I approach the bench, your honor?" Stowers said.

"No, you may not," Border said.

"Your honor, he just wants to apologize," Kwock said.

"Well, I think I had earlier alerted counsel, and I had in previous cases," Border said. "This kind of behavior, outbursts are not permitted."

The supervising public defender, Ronnette Kawakami, said she was shocked to see the judge order Stowers locked up.

"He was placed in handcuffs in front of his family, in front of his family and taken down to the cellblock for nothing other than saying, 'Thank you, Jesus' in a loud voice," Kawakami said.

Six hours later, Border defended his action.

"It was observed within my presence. It was behavior that was more characteristic, more applicable for the swap meet or a major contest," Border said.

Stowers remained in custody for four to five hours.

A week later, Border dropped the contempt charge, agreeing that Kwock didn't have a chance to warn her client before the verdict. On Friday, Border refused to make any other comment or offer an apology.

Stowers told his lawyer he is not looking for an apology. He said he just wants to get on with his life.

As for Border, except for the reappointment process that comes around only every 10 years, there is really no mechanism in Hawaii for judging the behavior of judges, KITV reported.

MrsSpringsteen said:
I've never been to a swap meet, do people actually say thank you Jesus there? Thank you Jesus for my 99 cent Velvet Elvis?

Not to my knowledge.

This strikes me as just an intellectual's attempt to trivialize (and demean) an honest expression of faith. Perhaps just par for the course.

nbcrusader said:

Not to my knowledge.

This strikes me as just an intellectual's attempt to trivialize (and demean) an honest expression of faith. Perhaps just par for the course.

Watch out there, nbc; you'll be accused of whining. We all know that no one actually trivializes anyone's faith.

BonoVoxSupastar said:

To be honest I have to question the truthfulness of this example.

You can question what you want; I'm no liar.

I question whether you truly believe that kids don't steal things from other kids' lockers.

:hmm: Are judges necessarily intellectuals? It sounded to me more like some pretentious old crank's hamfisted way of expressing disapproval at what he considered coarse and uncouth behavior. A petty and utterly lame reaction, for sure...don't know that it strikes me as intellectual though.

80sU2isBest said:

You can question what you want; I'm no liar.

I question whether you truly believe that kids don't steal things from other kids' lockers.

:eyebrow:

I was questioning the truthfulness of the person being asked not to bring the Bible to class. You know, the example we were talking about?

A person in my AP English class brought his Bible to class everyday and it never bothered anyone. But we had a lot of silent reading time after we finished our work and that's when he'd read it. The teacher never had to ask him to put it away and he never made any other students read it.....I dunno if that helps your example or not....

LivLuvAndBootlegMusic said:

Wow, I wasn't aware it was that big of a deal. I guess I just always thought being a public school meant you couldn't teach religious beliefs, unless you were like teaching a course on religion and gave equal treatment to a variety of beliefs. So, in public schools, you can't use religious literature in discussions/debates? Can they be used as sources for papers?

It's not a big deal to me. As long as she was on task when I asked her to be (i.e. working on a map, worksheet, taking a quiz) I didn't mind at all that she had her bible in class with her. Students that bring Harry Potter to class get the same treatment.

I teach World Civ. We look at religious literature almost on a daily basis first semester. DBQ's always have documents dealing with religion. When writing essays those documents are included as sources.

BonoVoxSupastar said:

:eyebrow:

I was questioning the truthfulness of the person being asked not to bring the Bible to class. You know, the example we were talking about?

We had just been talkling about my statement that I knew kids who carried their books around with them all day. That's what truthfulness I thought you were questioning.

80sU2isBest said:

When I was in high school I used to carry most of my books with me for most of the school day because the school was a huge, three-story building and we only had a few minutes between classes and I didn't want to risk being late for class if I had to go a long ways out of my way to get to my locker between classes.

Back
Top Bottom