Texas votes to ban Gay Foster Parents

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Dreadsox

ONE love, blood, life
[Q]
Texas could be only state to ban gay foster parents

April 21, 2005

BY NATALIE GOTT

AUSTIN, Texas -- Texas could become the only state to bar gays from becoming foster parents under legislation passed Wednesday by the House.

The ban is part of a bill to revamp the state's Child Protective Services agency. It passed 135-6 with two abstentions and now heads to the Senate.

''It is our responsibility to make sure that we protect our most vulnerable children, and I don't think we are doing that if we allow a foster parent that is homosexual or bisexual,'' said Republican Rep. Robert Talton, who introduced the amendment.

If the bill becomes law, Texas would be the only state to prohibit homosexuals and bisexuals from becoming foster parents, according to the American Civil Liberties Union Lesbian and Gay Rights project.

Law overturned in Arkansas

Arkansas had barred gays from becoming foster parents, but a judge said the law was unconstitutional in December.

Eva Thibaudeau, a social worker, said she and her lesbian partner of eight years have adopted four children and have served as foster parents to 75.

''I am just so hurt and surprised, especially now [when] we are facing an ongoing crisis of not having enough resources to take care of foster children,'' she said.

The bill follows recent child slayings that occurred after caseworkers investigated suspicions of neglect or abuse and decided the children were safe to remain with their parents.

It would give all of Child Protective Services' foster care and case management duties to private companies. AP
[/Q]

I am going to stick to the Northeast and live in the land of the free.

pathetic and sad

I wonder how many kids wishing and hoping for a placement give a rat's behind whether it's w/ gay or straight people. They just want love and security, and what does being gay or straight have to do w/ that?

I can only imagine how that woman has immeasurably helped those 75 kids.

Originally posted by melon
I only need one word: "Texas."

Melon
I'll agree with that if it passes. If not, maybe there's still some decent people down there. (One can only hope...)

saltwaterkiss26 said:

I'll agree with that if it passes. If not, maybe there's still some decent people down there. (One can only hope...)

they all seem to live in Austin.

*great* town.

Anthony said:
Well, that's surprising.

Ant.

Austin rules. has U of Texas, with over 40,000 students, and the best live music scene in the US. tie that in with Texas BBQ and it's reputation as an island of sanity in a sea of madness, and all the cool kids of Texas flock there.

or San Antonio.

maybe even parts of Dallas.

but certainly not Midland.

Foster home programs have been so abused over the years you would think they would just want to search for loving couples to take care of these children. The foster home program has problems with sexual abuse, child "slavery, neglect, etc some of them are really sad. But instead of trying to fix the real problems, banning gays is more fun for the homophobes.

This sucks. So many kids need good, loving foster homes. The best foster parent in town could be gay. What a bunch of self-righteous lunacy. :mad: :censored: :censored: :censored: :censored: :censored: :censored: :censored:

Last edited:
gay people are a convenient excuse for all social maladies.

but isn't it straight people who are getting divorce and being horrible parents to the fucked-up, selfish brats they've spawned to replace themselves?

stand aside, straights; you've had your turn, and you've made a great big mess of things and we won't let you blame gay people for moral decline the way Hitler blamed the jews for hyper-inflation.

... kidding, but only sort of.

Irvine511 said:
gay people are a convenient excuse for all social maladies.

but isn't it straight people who are getting divorce and being horrible parents to the fucked-up, selfish brats they've spawned to replace themselves?

stand aside, straights; you've had your turn, and you've made a great big mess of things and we won't let you blame gay people for moral decline the way Hitler blamed the jews for hyper-inflation.

... kidding, but only sort of.

Every joke has a background of reality.

No offense, but I completely disagree with the post even if you don't really mean just a touch of the things that you are saying... I am afraid that we should not confuse the right of gay couples to be foster parents with saying that they are better than straight parents.

I have nothing against gay parents, but I think that they should be considered as an alternative to the straight family... if a child does not have a family, then for sure that gay parents are much better than letting them be as orphans.

Last edited:
I think this stems from the innane ridiculous perception by the small-minded that gay people are pedophiles. I have argued with people that gay men like other gay men, NOT children. Some people live on stereotypical myths especially in my small town. The fact that this kind of thinking exists in 2005 disturbs me.:(

Austin rules. has U of Texas, with over 40,000 students, and the best live music scene in the US. tie that in with Texas BBQ and it's reputation as an island of sanity in a sea of madness, and all the cool kids of Texas flock there.

Well, my comment was made towards the article in question, really. Strangely enough, I have been to Texas (the only part of the USA I've actually been to), and I did visit Austin and San Antonio. I was impressed with how 'neat' everything was. And big. 'Big' and 'neat' seem to be the key words when describing those towns. Anyway, it was fun enough.

Ant.

i think the state of Texas should spend their time worrying about insane people from harming their children, like, you know, Andrea Yates.

Melon said:

I only need one word: "Texas."
Melon

saltwaterkisses26 said:

Irvine511 said:

they all seem to live in Austin.
*great* town.

Hypocrisy, anyone? You preach tolerance and love and understanding, and yet you see nothing wrong with stereotyping almost the entire population of a huge state.

80sU2isBest said:

Hypocrisy, anyone? You preach tolerance and love and understanding, and yet you see nothing wrong with stereotyping almost the entire population of a huge state.

um, we're joking, not passing laws.

Irvine, I think 80sU2_Is_The_Best has a point here, and you helped make it. Yes, you ARE "joking," but can you imagine if someone came on here and made a bunch of stereotypical joke/observations about any protected group? I dont think the FYM woul be so tolerant of such behavior.

~U2Alabama

Mmmmmm, I'm inclined to agree with Bama and 80s here, actually.

Let's all be aware of the inanity and potential harm of stereotypes. I'm sure that Texas has its share of the wacko and the rational, the kind and the not-so-kind, in ratios similar to Idaho and Massachusetts and, I don't know, Iceland.

Okay, I understand the Icelandic are a very friendly people.

See? Another stereotype. :wink:

Okay, seriously...let's take it easy on Texas.

Thanks.

pax said:
Mmmmmm, I'm inclined to agree with Bama and 80s here, actually.

Let's all be aware of the inanity and potential harm of stereotypes. I'm sure that Texas has its share of the wacko and the rational, the kind and the not-so-kind, in ratios similar to Idaho and Massachusetts and, I don't know, Iceland.

Okay, I understand the Icelandic are a very friendly people.

See? Another stereotype. :wink:

Okay, seriously...let's take it easy on Texas.

Thanks.

Thank you. All moderators are wonderful people!

Ok, that's a sterotype...but you are wonderful, Pax.

Okay now, that's sucking up...but hey, I've broken a stereotype that time - we texans aren't known for sucking up.

But suck up or no, doesn't make it any less true...

Oh I'm losing my mind...time to go to bed.

80sU2isBest said:

Well, when such aforementioned state sees nothing wrong with stereotyping an entire subordinate hegemony of people, I tend to reciprocate as appropriate.

When the Texas legislators are nothing more than small-minded bigots--Democrat and Republican alike--they are only a reflection of the people who voted them in.

Melon

melon said:

Well, when such aforementioned state sees nothing wrong with stereotyping an entire subordinate hegemony of people, I tend to reciprocate as appropriate.

When the Texas legislators are nothing more than small-minded bigots--Democrat and Republican alike--they are only a reflection of the people who voted them in.

Melon

Come on, Melon, you know that's totally unfair. Even if you don't like the Texas legislature--and you certainly don't have to--people surely voted against some those legislators. Or voted for them, but now regret those votes. You simply cannot judge an entire state of a few million people on the basis of just a few. You know that.

Same can be said for greater America then. You're all Bush loving warmongering apes who take great pride in blowing the shit out of the Middle East. After all, Bush is a reflection of the people who voted him in.

Isn't this getting tiring yet?

pax said:
Come on, Melon, you know that's totally unfair. Even if you don't like the Texas legislature--and you certainly don't have to--people surely voted against some those legislators. Or voted for them, but now regret those votes. You simply cannot judge an entire state of a few million people on the basis of just a few. You know that.

I judge states on the basis of how they vote on gay issues. Like those 11+ states that voted for "Defense of Marriage" amendments. Even "liberal" old Oregon registered around 60%, didn't it?

Pathetic. And if Angela Harlem wasn't being sarcastic, the misanthrope in me would be inclined to agree with her statement.

Melon

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom