Terror in the UK over the holidays?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Irvine511

Blue Crack Supplier
scary? or not? or what?

[q]London Braces for Attack; 'Miracle' If There Isn't One

December 21, 2006 10:42 AM
Brian Ross and Richard Esposito Report:

British intelligence and law enforcement officials have passed on a grim assessment to their U.S. counterparts, "It will be a miracle if there isn't a terror attack over the holidays in London," a senior American law enforcement official tells ABCNews.com.

British police have been quietly carrying out a series of key arrests as they continue to track at least six active "plots" tied to what they call "al Qaeda of England."

Officials said they could not cite any specific date or target but said al Qaeda had planned previous operations during the Christmas holidays that had been disrupted.

"It is not a matter of if there will be an attack, but how bad the attack will be," an intelligence official told ABCNews.com.

Authorities say they are seeking at least 18 suspected suicide bombers.

"They hope they are one step ahead, but they seriously fear they may be one step behind," the senior American official said.

British law enforcement and intelligence officials say the ongoing plots have been in the planning stages for at least three years. The officials say the plots are all connected and track back to al Qaeda commanders in Pakistan who have been recruiting and training British citizens of Pakistan descent.

A report by "Newsweek" says that American al Qaeda figure Adam Gadahn has served as a translator of a 12-member team of Western recruits, the "English brothers," said to be preparing an attack that would be much bigger than last year's attack on the London subway system.

Watch ABCNews' undercover video of the active al Qaeda recruitment efforts inside Pakistan.

U.S. officials say the "Newsweek" report is, in many respects, parallel to intelligence reports they have been receiving.

British Home Minister John Reid recently told reporters that it was "highly likely" that terrorists would attempt an attack before the first of the year. [/q]

I certainly hope and pray for the best, but fear the worst. It is coming, I know it is. And that's not really from any sort of irrational fear, just reality as I see it.

maybe they havent panned out because the people responsible for stopping them are doing a good job?

Chizip said:
its just British politicians using fear to gain support

I think it’s more the opposite actually. I lot of people in the Uk believe that if wasn’t for Blair’s support of Bush in the war in Iraq we wouldn’t have the level of terrorist threats we have now in the UK, whilst conversely, others believe that Labour’s talk of possible attacks is just scaremongering and is a tactic they are using to introduce compulsory identity cards and the like.
I wouldn’t be surprised if there is another attack in the near future. I know a couple of policemen who have said that there are dozens of possible terrorist plots that are under surveillance. Some of these may well be false leads but the terrorists only need to “strike lucky” once, whilst the police need to be successful all the time to thwart them.

Chizip said:
maybe they havent panned out because the people responsible for stopping them are doing a good job?

Maybe. Or maybe the people who are informants enjoy pulling a chain now and again to watch people jump.

The "major terrorist attack" that was "planned" for the LA Library turned out to be a snow job. And that whole thing had people who should know better jumping around like crazy.

I have doubts about all these warnings. None of them has ever led to anything, yet we hear nothing of foiled attacks that were actually going to happen; no arrests, nothing.

"It is not a matter of if there will be an attack, but how bad the attack will be," an intelligence official told ABCNews.com.

These comments really bug me. It just sounds irrational or completely inept. How do you know with 100% certainty something is going to happen yet not know anything about it?

I'll be in London for Christmas and I don't really find it scary at all. It also doesn't surprise me that the whole idea seems to be getting more media attention in the US than here.

I don't want a terrorist attack to happen, but I don't fear it particulary as thats the obvious aim of the terrorists - to prevent people from using public transport and staying shut away in their homes all holiday. And I don't intend to pander to them.

I think sooner or later another terrorist attack would happen. There are so many people out there who hate the West and want to do harm to it and its people. I usually see these warnings as not when, but how - how would these terrorists do these attacks? Will it be a bus bombing, dirty bomb or plane attacks? How the attacks could be done is what scares me the most.

I work at the police. We had a bulletin come out the other day saying that the threat of an attack over christmas is 'severe'. Same threat level as for god knows how long.

Interestingly, the threat is also there for terror plots from the PIRA. But that doesn't get publicised as much :shrug:

and I seem to remember that they said the same last Christmas - that there was probably going to be an attack, etc etc blah blah. The thing is, there could be one at any time, Holiday season or not.

bammo2 said:

Interestingly, the threat is also there for terror plots from the PIRA. But that doesn't get publicised as much :shrug:

Any reason for that or just tradition?

I would rather fear the RIRA, but I think they won't have another try that soon.

The good news is that some members of the Bold and the Beautiful cast were too skerd to fly to my country and promote their soap. Go Orange level! :up:

Well you didn't miss anything without Lorenzo. Was it Ronn Moss? I am an ABC soap watcher, but I know a bit about B&B. Yes, I shouldn't..:wink:

tr4.jpg

Or maybe Jack Wagner?

My mom used to watch it so I know some oldskool Bold and Beautiful and it wasn't Ron Moss. I think it was a blond guy. Not that it matters, I don't need to see any of those people here. :D

"Any reason for that or just tradition?

I would rather fear the RIRA, but I think they won't have another try that soon."

That was a serious question. :(

Back
Top Bottom