Tennessee Tyson Plant Drops Labor Day For Muslim Holiday

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Non-Christians get upset over that, I've seen it happen when I worked in retail during my college years. That is why I support saying "Happy Holidays", because you never what religion, if any, someone follows.

Well I meant in FYM and the overall discussion about church and state. No one is trying to stop individual from saying Merry Christmas. I think it's just common courtesy to say "Happy Holidays" to those who you don't know what religion they practice, but there are still those that do not practice common courtesy.

You'd never see a retailer, certainly not a chain store, actually allowing its employees to hold a binding vote on what they're collectively required to say to shoppers in December. Some do leave the choice up to the individual employee, but for those that don't, it's because they've made a business calculation about what their customers want to hear, not what their employees have the "right" to say. The notion of retail workers having any such "rights" when it comes to how they interact with customers is a joke anyway, unless perhaps you're talking the right to request a manager's intervention when a customer is harassing you.

Last edited:
You would be pressed to find a poster here who is as rigid in regards to secularism, it is a consequence of secularism that a company can allow religious holidays for its workers, I have no issue with a private business entertaining supernaturally ordained excuses for a day off.

No promotion or persecution of belief, a wall of separation, what is hard to comprehend by that? If you own a store and want your employees to say Merry Christmas then you should be allowed too, and I don't think that the state or courts should stop you (unless your subsidised).

Y'mean besides FYMers?

You'd be hard pressed to find a fellow FYMer that would have anything to say about the individual having this right.

But I can think of at least two FYMers(or recent former FYMers) that refused common courtesy and stated they only said Merry Christmas no matter what...

I honestly think the whole "war on anything Christian" is just people painting themselves as victim, and truthfully, they aren't very good painters.

The majority of employees are Muslim. So, a prayer room is probably necessary, since they are bound by faith, to pray five times per day. But, I think a meditation room would also be a good idea, for the employees of other religions.

Instead of eight holidays in their contract, they should have nine. That way everyone is happy. :wave:

5 times a day......do they get paid during prayer time?
Stop the assembly line? I wonder what the logistics of this might be.

5 times a day......do they get paid during prayer time?
Stop the assembly line? I wonder what the logistics of this might be.

Um, not unless these people are working 20 hours a day.

Prayer is: before sunrise, noon, afternoon, after sunset and before bed. So if you're working a regular day shift, you may only pray once or maximum twice.

The EEOC just released a revised manual regarding religious discrimination in the workplace last month. The number of complaints about that type of discrimination has more than doubled over the last 15 years, with Muslims having the highest increase (peaking after 9/11). It was in the news last month, if anyone wants to Google it.

Back
Top Bottom