Tell me your Islam and I will tell you who you are.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

A_Wanderer

ONE love, blood, life
I will take an order of 1 with extra 2 and some 3 to take away.
1 The fundamental problem is not just Islam but religion itself, which is superstition, false consciousness, the abrogation of reason. In principle, Christianity or Judaism are little better, particularly in the versions embraced by the American right. The world would be a much better place if everyone understood the truths revealed by science, had confidence in human reason and embraced secular humanism. If we must have a framed image of a bearded old man on the wall, let it be a photograph of Charles Darwin. What we need is not just a secular state but a secular society.
2 The fundamental problem is not religion itself, but the particular religion of Islam. Islam, unlike western Christianity, does not allow the separation of church and state, religion and politics. The fact that my Iranian newspaper gives the year as 1384 points to a larger truth. With its systematic discrimination against women, its barbaric punishments for homosexuality and its militant intolerance, Islam is stuck in the middle ages. What it needs is its Reformation.
3 The problem is not Islam but Islamism. One of the world's great religions has been misrepresented by fanatics such as Osama bin Laden, who have twisted it into the service of a political ideology of hate. It's these ideologists and movements of political Islamism that we must combat. Working with the benign, peaceful majority of the world's Muslims, we can separate the poisonous fruit from the healthy tree.
And churned through the article I am approximated with a post-Christian educated westerner with secular humanist ideals and a view towards the problem shaped by political considerations ~ more or less accurate.

Read the whole article and find out who you are.

Read Here

2 would probably be closest to my current view, but there is probably a degree of truth in all of his theses.

PS I am posting this from the Melbourne Vistor Centre, incidentally. :wave:

I think the problem is fundimentalism.....particularly the extremes....

And they do not belong to one religion....
And they do not all blow things up...
And they are equally dangerous...

I say #1, with my emphasis that Islam is as much a "problem" as Judeo-Christianity globally. Substituting "reason" for "divine revelation" was one of humanity's biggest mistakes in history.

Of course, I was always less Augustine of Hippo and more William of Ockham when it came to religion.

Melon

sadly, i think i need to vote for #1. though i would add the caveat that while religion itself is the problem, that doesn't implicate God (who cannot be understood or contained by any one religion or even any religion).

#3. I can identify with #1 to an extent, but it goes a little further than my own personal views on religion per se.

Dreadsox said:
I think the problem is fundimentalism.....particularly the extremes....

And they do not belong to one religion....
And they do not all blow things up...
And they are equally dangerous...

I agree 100%

In principle, Christianity or Judaism are little better, particularly in the versions embraced by the American right.

:scratch: I'm perplexed as to why the author put this line in. It seems to contradict everything he's trying to say.

Back
Top Bottom