Tell me about MARRIAGE......

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Do Miss America said:

- Princess Bride

When I was best man at my friends wedding, I gave the Princess Bride toast.

I had the entire room shanting "AS YOU WISH" after I would pretend to be my friends wife asking him to do something.

I thought it went well.

Dreadsox said:

When I was best man at my friends wedding, I gave the Princess Bride toast.

I had the entire room shanting "AS YOU WISH" after I would pretend to be my friends wife asking him to do something.

I thought it went well.

:applaud:

A successful marriage requires falling in love many times, always with the same person. ~Mignon McLaughlin, The Second Neurotic's Notebook, 1966

nbcrusader said:
Matthew 19:6

1 Samuel 18:1-4 is a great companion to that.

"...that the soul of Jonathan was knit with the soul of David, and Jonathan loved him as his own soul. ... Then Jonathan and David made a covenant, because he loved him as his own soul."

Melon

melon said:

1 Samuel 18:1-4 is a great companion to that.

"...that the soul of Jonathan was knit with the soul of David, and Jonathan loved him as his own soul. ... Then Jonathan and David made a covenant, because he loved him as his own soul."

Melon

I rather doubt that David and Jonathan had a sexual relationship, as some Bible scholars believe, but this is an interesting contrast with David's, uh, philandering ways later in life.

What makes a good marriage?

A good marriage must be created.
In the art of marriage the little things are big things.
Never being too old to hold hands.
Having a mutual sense of values and common objectives.
Remembering to say “I love you”.
Never going to sleep angry.
Standing together to face the world.
Forming a circle of love that gathers in the whole family.
Speaking words of appreciation and demonstrating gratitude in thoughtful ways.
Having the capacity to forgive and forget.
Giving each other an atmosphere in which each other can grow.
Finding room for things of the spirit.
Common search for the good and the beautiful in life.
Not only finding the right partner.
Being the right partner.

Taken from information sheet provided by Denise Lacey – Centacare

A good marriage is made up of...

Two people who take ownership for the good as well as the bad. They are a responsible couple.

Two people believing good wins over bad. They are a hopeful couple.

Two people walking in each other’s shoes. They are an empathic couple.

Two people healing the hurts they don’t deserve. They are a forgiving couple.

Two people living the love they promise. They are a committed couple.

speedracer said:
I rather doubt that David and Jonathan had a sexual relationship, as some Bible scholars believe, but this is an interesting contrast with David's, uh, philandering ways later in life.

Sexual or not is not the point. The language used more than implies that their souls became one and they loved each other.

But OT figures are certainly not role models when it comes to fidelity and conflict resolution. With all the "concubines" and offering of their daughters to get gang raped is not exactly what we have in mind today.

Melon

Last edited:
cardosino said:

Oh, and I would have given you the same answer, as the definition here in California has not changed Pre or Post Bush.

Then I agree with Dread, that's a pretty shallow definition of marriage.

I would add to NB's verse Genisis 2:23-24, Mark 10:6, Ephesians 5:21-33, Colossians 3:18-19 and Hebrews 13:4.

Melon, that verse in 1 Samuel is about friendship, not marriage. A few verses later you'll find that David married Michal, Saul's daughter.

coemgen said:
Melon, that verse in 1 Samuel is about friendship, not marriage. A few verses later you'll find that David married Michal, Saul's daughter.

To mirror what I said in the other thread, David cannot marry a dead man. Jonathan is slain by the Philistines at the end of 1 Samuel.

At the beginning of 2 Samuel, David learns of his death and says this:

"I grieve for you, Jonathan my brother! Most dear have you been to me; More precious have I held love for you than love for women." -- 2 Samuel 1:26

Melon

You know what is really disappointing.....

I sincerely wanted a thread to discuss marriage. The things that make marriage so wonderful.

I asked respectfully for people to not turn it into a homosexual VS heterosexual debate.

Instead we have the usual suspects not being respectful of a simple request. People quoting the same old verses from the Bible which we all know have been used throughout to prove that heterosexuality is essential to have a marriage.

Marriage is so much more to me than that and it saddens me that some of you just could not let it go and leave it to other threads.

melon said:

Sexual or not is not the point. The language used more than implies that their souls became one and they loved each other.

But OT figures are certainly not role models when it comes to fidelity and conflict resolution. With all the "concubines" and offering of their daughters to get gang raped is not exactly what we have in mind today.

Melon

Here's a quote that is a little closer in spirit to what I meant:

"If you want to be in a long-term relationship with someone, don't sleep with them" -- Billy Joel, after noting that he'd been with his drummer longer than with his two wives

Last edited:
Dreadsox said:
You know what is really disappointing.....

I sincerely wanted a thread to discuss marriage. The things that make marriage so wonderful.

I asked respectfully for people to not turn it into a homosexual VS heterosexual debate.

Instead we have the usual suspects not being respectful of a simple request. People quoting the same old verses from the Bible which we all know have been used throughout to prove that heterosexuality is essential to have a marriage.

Marriage is so much more to me than that and it saddens me that some of you just could not let it go and leave it to other threads.

Your intentions are honorable. Unfortunately, when you placed the limitations on the discussion, it drew comments like moths to a flame.

A covenant to God by 2 people to love and cherish eachother for time and all eternity, and marriage is not just of this life but it is for time and all eternity, adn families are forever!

macphisto23 said:
A covenant to God by 2 people to love and cherish eachother for time and all eternity, and marriage is not just of this life but it is for time and all eternity, adn families are forever!

So if your spouse dies and you remarry, how does that work?

Marriage is the fulfillment of a lifelong promise, to remain faithful to your partner, to provide for their needs, to understand differences, to comfort, and to grow. Marriage is a compromise, it's two becoming one flesh. Marriage is provision, in the highest. By this, it's a sacrifice you make to ultimately give up your independence for the sake of another, who you are laying your personal freedom down in order to commit your entire life to another.

Macfistowannabe said:
Marriage is the fulfillment of a lifelong promise, to remain faithful to your partner, to provide for their needs, to understand differences, to comfort, and to grow. Marriage is a compromise, it's two becoming one flesh. Marriage is provision, in the highest. By this, it's a sacrifice you make to ultimately give up your independence for the sake of another, who you are laying your personal freedom down in order to commit your entire life to another.

Awesome!!!! thank you for your post.

Also, we must not only concern with ignoring the sexual orientation if we are to be politcially correct but we should also not insist on marriage being only the 2 people. There is many bits of the world with big populations and not just of Moslem where man has more than one wife. I do not know about one wife with many husbands. One big marriage of many. Not to say if is good or is bad it is.

So also the marriage is like a team living together with common philiosophy and the love.

Last edited:
Angela Harlem said:
All this 'lifelong' talk makes it sound as though those who do not make it that far have failed.

It's an intention for life.
It's a very serious intention. Divorce is hurtful. Ask anyone who has had their parents divorce because they got married too quickly, and didn't take their vows seriously. Too many lives have been impacted by divorce, especially the kids. It's not always the result of two people failing, but the two must commit, and share a common ground prior to that. How can people get married if one partner wants kids and the other doesn't? These issues need to be worked out beforehand.

Not everyone who divorces didn't take their vows seriously or didn't commit. It is less common for it to be any of these things. The highest cause of divorce is financial strain, or basic disagreements over money. It's not some flowery idea of commitment and so on being absent. Most start with that and end with it too. It's external factors which puts the most strain on any marriage.

So much for the positive thread.....

I say when you have financial difficulties, settle them with sex.

There....:madspit:

Back
Top Bottom