Teacher kicks student for wearing GOP shirt

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
DrTeeth said:
Emotions really are running high aren't they? :der:

Yes, it is getting bad. I also saw on the news that a guy was arrested for holding his girlfriend hostage with a screwdriver because she said she was voting for Kerry. He had hoped to contain her until the election was over. I've seen too many of these things, both sides are losing it. I've never seen such strong feelings in an election.

I am really concerned about all of the intolerance and pure hatred that's going on. This is the most emotional election I've ever been through, and I've been through quite a few. It's going to be very difficult for the winner to unite the country, whoever it is. People shouldn't be getting kicked for what's on their T-shirt. It's a free country, people should act like it. Some of this stuff is really disgusting and immature. :mad: :madspit: :censored: :censored: :censored: :censored: :censored: :censored:

Last edited:
That lady is a loser. She should be fired. :down: I don't kick people who wear Creed shirts. I mean, I might want to, but I don't! :wink:

LivLuvAndBootlegMusic said:
That lady is a loser. She should be fired. :down: I don't kick people who wear Creed shirts. I mean, I might want to, but I don't! :wink:

She's a bitch, but you can't be fired for being a bitch. This incident happened off campus and was not school related.

This is the most divided the country has been in a long time. It's really sad what 4 years can do.

yes she should be fired. as a former college athlete, i was told over and over and over again that i was a representitive of the university, and that my actions off campus were reflective of the school. in fact, i even got in trouble with the school for something that occured off campus, in the community. these "principles" are in the NCAA handbook. one would assume that the same principles would apply to college professors off campus

also... i would venture to guess that if a college student walked up to one of his/her profs off campus and punched him/her, that the student would be expelled immediately.

Last edited:
Headache in a Suitcase said:

also... i would venture to guess that if a college student walked up to one of his profs off campus and punched him, that the student would be expelled immediately.

Ok here's where I see the difference. If the student attacked his or her prof, then yes they will be expelled. They targeted this person end of story.

If a proffesor or a student kicks someone who just happens to be a proffesor or student off campus, I don't see it as being automatic. If there are assault charges then yes by all means they should be fired or expelled.

It was a stupid an impulsive move, probably didn't hurt the guy, but none the less a stupid move. Should the response be an automatic firing, no, but that's my personal belief. Do people get fired for the fights they have at bars ,on the streets, or in their homes?

Teachers have been fired for lovey dovey relationships off campus with students who attended the school but were not always in their class.

You CAN get fired just for being a 'bitch.' I was at a Burger King the other day and the drive thru lady was screaming and refusing to serve people and telling them to 'get out of my drive thru' because she said they were screaming at her and disrespecting her. In reality, the outside drive thru is by a busy road with a lot of trucks going by and the people felt they had to holler to be heard, but her headset was sensitive, it hurt her ears and she thought they were doing it to be asses when they weren't. She was sent back to the kitchen and not allowed to deal directly with customers anymore. The only reason they didn't fire her was lack of help.

BonoVoxSupastar said:

It was a stupid an impulsive move, probably didn't hurt the guy, but none the less a stupid move. Should the response be an automatic firing, no, but that's my personal belief. Do people get fired for the fights they have at bars ,on the streets, or in their homes?

When you go to a small, conservative, Christian college.....yep!

BonoVoxSupastar said:

Ok here's where I see the difference. If the student attacked his or her prof, then yes they will be expelled. They targeted this person end of story.

If a proffesor or a student kicks someone who just happens to be a proffesor or student off campus, I don't see it as being automatic. If there are assault charges then yes by all means they should be fired or expelled.

if a student attacked someone who was a prof, without knowing that the person was a prof, yeah... i'd be willing to bet money that... unless the person was legitimately provoked... that the student would be expelled, no questions asked.

As for the second part... if a prof got into a fight off campus would they be fired? not neccesarily... if it was reported in the press? yes... if it occured within the community that the college calls home? yes. if it was out of town and had nothing to do with the college and was not reported in the press but the college found out anyway? maybe, but probably not.

As for the second part... if a prof got into a fight off campus would they be fired? not neccesarily... if it was reported in the press? yes...

I think the press is the key part to this question.

This was stupid as hell, but I'm not sure it calls for a firing. Now everyone knows she's "the jerk who kicked a Republican".

paxetaurora said:
I am concerned about someone who obviously can't control her temper working around young people. :|

Good point. I'm re-thinking my position on this. I don't approve of abusive behavior, to put it mildly, and this is definitely abuse. I feel really bad for the kid who got harrassed just for wearing a political t-shirt. OK, fire the :censored:. That last post of mine was rather silly. :reject:

Last edited:
I don't think it should matter whether or not she realized the guy was a student. Either way, it's harassment. I don't know about you guys, but as a student I would NOT be too happy about my tuition $$ paying a Prof. who harasses people :shrug:

LivLuvAndBootlegMusic said:
I don't think it should matter whether or not she realized the guy was a student. Either way, it's harassment. I don't know about you guys, but as a student I would NOT be too happy about my tuition $$ paying a Prof. who harasses people :shrug:

:up:

being a person who was the victim of harrassment by an college employee, i feel very strongly on this issue. fire this woman.

U2Kitten said:

Yes, it is getting bad. I also saw on the news that a guy was arrested for holding his girlfriend hostage with a screwdriver because she said she was voting for Kerry. He had hoped to contain her until the election was over. I've seen too many of these things, both sides are losing it. I've never seen such strong feelings in an election.

Wouldn't it just cancel out anyways if he was holding her hostage instead of going to vote for Bush? :shrug:

I think she should be fired. As Headache said, she's a representative of the college. Yes, she apologized, but at the same she's time insinuating that her actions would have been acceptable if he *hadn't* been a member of her college?

A college is supposed to be a place where people are introduced to new ideas, and where different opinions are heard and respected. The fact that this professor behaved in such an intolerant manner off campus calls for her dismissal.

At my college, we had a case of a professor allegedly harrassing Republicans in her class. I felt bad for her initially because it was very much "he said/she said" and it really sounded like the student might be using his political leanings to excuse a bad grade. But then this fall, on her first day of class she starts on a tirade against Republicans--and it got out because the Campus Republicans deliberately planted a student in the class. I don't really feel for either side, but talk about asking for it.

Last edited:

:up:

being a person who was the victim of harrassment by an college employee, i feel very strongly on this issue. fire this woman.

That must have been a horrific experience. Yes, fire the :censored:.

If you physically assault anyone...whether on campus or not, it's unacceptable. You can be arrested for that. Teachers can't get hired with a police record, and they shouldn't be able to be responsible for the education of students if they can't remember the first rule everyone learns in kidnergarten: Keep your hands to yourself! Resorting to physical violence shows a serious and deeper flaw of character....

#1 rule posted at my kids' school;

"Please keep your hands, feet, body and objects to yourself"

Fire this irresponsible teacher for not tolerating a view other than her own. I see Bush-bashing shirts, signs, etc everyday, but I'm not going to do anything about it. What right do I have to interfere with their self-expression? None, because they are given that right, and I'm thankful for having rights of my own that all the "kill God" people can't take away from me. Really tired of all this unneccesary raw "emotion" that goes on, when really, some people just can't accept a different view. Shame shame shame.

Back
Top Bottom